Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XNine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Yes, that's right, I am searching for somewhere that makes/sells metal dressers. Metal ALL the way through. No crappy partical board, no wood, no oak. METAL.

IF you know of some place, please let me know. I'm at work, and I can't search google here but I ahve searched when I've been at home.

I need soemthing that doesn't have sharp edges that will kill me, and something that I can store clothing in, preferably with deep and high drawers so i can fit all of my stuff in it. It only needs to ahve 4-5 drawers.

Thanks!

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Any particular type of metal you're looking for? Aluminium? Steel? Uranium?

I dunno, but I kinda like the one you linked to iGary.

XNine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
I don't give a damn if it's made out of recycled robot teeth, I want metal.

This is because every wood dresser I've had, from cherry, to oak, to crappy Target brand, they ALL fall apart. The sliders fall out, the bottom falls out, the handles pull off.

And I don't abuse them, they just fall apart. I want something that will last until the robots take over (probably because we recycle their teeth) and kill us all and store our skulls in these said dressers.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Onizuka said:
This is because every wood dresser I've had, from cherry, to oak, to crappy Target brand, they ALL fall apart. The sliders fall out, the bottom falls out, the handles pull off.

And I don't abuse them, they just fall apart. I want something that will last until the robots take over (probably because we recycle their teeth) and kill us all and store our skulls in these said dressers.

I know what you mean. There are good wooden dressers to be had out there, you just have to pay a **** load for them. Like Ethan Allen type stuff.

Now that I think about it, I need a new dresser too. Maybe I'll go to the goodwill and buy those metal filing cabinets they've got.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
aquajet said:
I know what you mean. There are good wooden dressers to be had out there, you just have to pay a **** load for them. Like Ethan Allen type stuff.
Have you seen what cherry or oak costs?? I'd guess approx. $200 -$400 just for the rough stock for a dresser of any size, then factor in the time it takes to make the case, plus some nice dovetailed drawers. Throw in a few pairs of $10 slides, and a couple days in the finishing room, plus the overhead for all the machinery it takes...

Of course if you would like to paint it, MDF really is a good product. It's just that Target etc. use those crappy knock-down connectors to hold it together, plus they use like 3/8" material so it feels flimsy as hell.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
mactastic said:
Have you seen what cherry or oak costs?? I'd guess approx. $200 -$400 just for the rough stock for a dresser of any size, then factor in the time it takes to make the case, plus some nice dovetailed drawers. Throw in a few pairs of $10 slides, and a couple days in the finishing room, plus the overhead for all the machinery it takes...

Yeah, I could imagine. I've got a great deal of respect for those who've got the skill and patience to do such work. I've built a few CO2 cars and a mantle clock (which was actually a kit, everything was pre-cut, only drilling and finishing was required). That's the extent of my experience. I'd love to someday build a bedroom set for myself. That would be the coolest thing ever. :)

The Mad Kiwi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
In Hell
You'll find it hard to get a cheap set metal set of drawers that don't just make your room end up looking like a cheap office.

You could try antique store if you've got loads of dosh, there is really beautiful office furniture made by the French at the turn of the century (1880-1900) that would look suit a bedroom and look awesome and last your lifetime and your kids and there kids but cost you about $10k.

If I was you I go for something like USM modular furniture, they make office furniture but you can easily use it in a contempory home all metal cabinets, lockable or not, top hinged or bottom hinged doors, with drawers/ without and in every size you can imagine. You can even mix and match so you could mix drawers with open sections for display of stuff (books, sculptures, whatever) or if you're an ironing person you could stack shirts or t's in an open section, then stuff all the stuff you don't like in a closed section. Very flexable, not really cheap but reasonable for what you get and you can always start small and add to it as it's modular.

http://www.usm.com

Have you thought about plastic, nice and funky comes in whatever colour you want even clear or semi transparent colours. You'll get about 50 years use out of kartell stuff, then be able to sell it for more than you paid. They make great plastic bedside lamps, very glamourous.

http://www.kartell.com

Nanda Devi

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2004
East Lansing, Michigan
Check out this site:

http://www.traspec.se/EN/riva.asp

This is not actually metal... it's wood that is painted with a metallic lacquer and it looks like metal.

I have a coffee table, bar, desk and locker from this place. It is really slick-looking stuff and it's not ultra expensive. It comes shipped flat-packed... some assembly required.

I highly recommend it.

ND

XNine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nanda Devi said:
Check out this site:

http://www.traspec.se/EN/riva.asp

This is not actually metal... it's wood that is painted with a metallic lacquer and it looks like metal.

I have a coffee table, bar, desk and locker from this place. It is really slick-looking stuff and it's not ultra expensive. It comes shipped flat-packed... some assembly required.

I highly recommend it.

ND

The black really isn't that bad, but I don't think they ship to the US.

Nanda Devi

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2004
East Lansing, Michigan
Onizuka said:
The black really isn't that bad, but I don't think they ship to the US.

There are dealers in the US though.... I ordered mine from a store in Royal Oak, Michigan called Bright Ideas. I suppose Bright Ideas probably ships all over the US, too. Anyway, their website is http://www.brightideasfurniture.com. If you actually like the dresser, you could call them and they might be able to tell who else carries the stuff.

ND

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Nanda Devi said:

Wooden metal simulations?

Postmodernity really needs to hurry up and like, end.

Saluki Alex

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2006
Illinois
Onizuka said:
I don't give a damn if it's made out of recycled robot teeth, I want metal.

I guess I've been rather lucky, all of my furniture was made by my Dad or local craftsmen in the area. In fact almost all of the furniture in our house (cabinets included) was made by my Dad or they are antiques.

If you're looking for high quality wood furniture though, I'd suggest looking for Amish built stuff, it's really high quality.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
I've solved the dresser problem by leaving all my clothes either in my closet, on my couch, or on the floor. No dresser, No problem!

I've actually managed to do it in a non-slobby way too! I simply fold the clothes before I put them on my couch or on the floor- I'll wear them in the next few days anyway- and when they get dirty into the hamper they go!

However, when the robots take over both me and my clothes will be screwed. :(

L

Lau

Ikea was my first thought when I saw this thread. Ikea do these sorts of cabinets here in the UK in various sizes. My brother's got one in red, and it looks good.

27370_PE113518_S4.jpg

Link

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.