Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Derwood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Hi All,

I'm trying to help my brother-in-law out with a new USB Mic he's just bought. The mic in question is an SE Electronics USB1000A. The problem is this: On his MBP in Garageband, when the SE mic is selected as the input device, the input level is greyed out and unadjustable. Input level is consequently very low. He has a Rev A. MacBook Pro running 10.5.2 and Garageband 3.0.5 (104.10). I am running the exact same set-up on the BlackBook in my sig. and it works perfectly. I'm able to adjust the level within Garageband. We're both running the same versions of OS X and Garageband.

Info from the Sounds panel in System Prefs is minimal. The device is Plug-And-Play and does not come with any specific audio drivers.

I just don't see why this would be the case. It's the same problem when we tried the mic on one of our buddies MBP's - he's running Garageband 4.1.2 (248.7). Is it possible that there is some difference between the MacBook and MBP USB controllers that means it works on one machine but not another? The only other difference I can think of is that I have audio drivers installed for my M-Audio Pre-Mobile USB and they don't. Could this be making the difference?

I've been bashing my head against a brick wall for long enough. I'm throwing it out to the MacRumors community for help.

Any thoughts?

Alexis1537

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2003
Paris, France
Hi All,

I'm trying to help my brother-in-law out with a new USB Mic he's just bought. The mic in question is an SE Electronics USB1000A. The problem is this: On his MBP in Garageband, when the SE mic is selected as the input device, the input level is greyed out and unadjustable. Input level is consequently very low. He has a Rev A. MacBook Pro running 10.5.2 and Garageband 3.0.5 (104.10). I am running the exact same set-up on the BlackBook in my sig. and it works perfectly. I'm able to adjust the level within Garageband. We're both running the same versions of OS X and Garageband.

Info from the Sounds panel in System Prefs is minimal. The device is Plug-And-Play and does not come with any specific audio drivers.

I just don't see why this would be the case. It's the same problem when we tried the mic on one of our buddies MBP's - he's running Garageband 4.1.2 (248.7). Is it possible that there is some difference between the MacBook and MBP USB controllers that means it works on one machine but not another? The only other difference I can think of is that I have audio drivers installed for my M-Audio Pre-Mobile USB and they don't. Could this be making the difference?

I've been bashing my head against a brick wall for long enough. I'm throwing it out to the MacRumors community for help.

Any thoughts?

I had the same problem yesterday on my dad's new MBP. We ended up swapping the USB cable for a more recent, better quality one and the input level rose dramatically to the level I expected.

Try that and see what result you get.

Best,
Alex

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.