Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AkiNikoTanTan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Anyone know who the equalivent for Microsoft Assembler in Mac Os X?
I need to do assembly language for microprocessor. (8086, 16bits). Just for learning purposes. Thanks!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Anyone know who the equalivent for Microsoft Assembler in Mac Os X?
I need to do assembly language for microprocessor. (8086, 16bits). Just for learning purposes. Thanks!

I don't think there is any way of running 16 bit code on a Macintosh at all. For 32 bit code: The gcc compiler can compile all kinds of files, including assembler files. The easiest way to start is create an XCode project (New Project, then choose Standard Tool), switch to "Release", turn PowerPC code generation off, add some C code, "Show Assembly Code" in the Build menu, and use the resulting .s file as a template.

But the first steps for any MacOS X development are: Go to "developer.apple.com", click on "sign up" to get a free ADC account, then download and install the XCode tools.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
as is the typical UNIX assembler and it's available on Mac OS X. It should do just fine with x86 assembly as long as you use the correct flag.

As long as you've loaded the developer tools, you should be able to execute the first line though the response will vary.

Code:
as -version
Apple Computer, Inc. version cctools-622.5.obj~13, GNU assembler version 1.38

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.