Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
For the year is $ 99.99.

For that much money you could buy the iWork suite for both your iPad and Mac, and never pay again.

What you would pay for 2.5 years is equal to the cost of Final Cut Pro X.

Also, consider the fact that you'll need to be connected to Skydrive, which requires an internet connection.

----------

The app store shows In-App purchase of a 1-Year subscription for $99.99

The issue is not everything in word or excel transfers well with pages and numbers. There really is no great substitute for office, and that is what all businesses use.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
If Microsoft's intention was to incentivise me purchasing an Office 365 subscription, they have utterly failed. I am now planning to migrate more of my important documents to Google Drive.

That would be awesome if I was a power user but all I ever do in Office is update my resume and keep track of my gas milage and repairs. This is the reason I still use Office 2008. I really wish they would have a stripped down and simple version of Office for us normal users so that we could put something simple together on our ipads.

It's called iWork !

iWork is pretty good, no complaints except that it's only on Mac and iOS, until the web versions fully launch anyway. I actually prefer, and recomend to others, Google Drive. It's free for personal users, 15GB of cloud storage, and has an excelent iPhone and iPad app for editing all sorts of documents. Unlike iWork, it's totally cross-platform. It works equally well on Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android.

Like you, I also keep track of car repairs and stuff on an Google Docs Spreadsheet. Super easy.

teng029

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2011
Good start..

bring it to the iPad and I'll jump onboard with Office 365. as much as i like my iPhone, editing documents on it is not my idea of productivity.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Bing is a Microsoft product.

Ok, guys, read the whole paragraph, you apparently didn't make it to the end.

His point is that this proves that Microsoft is no longer Apple's competitor; Google is. If Microsoft was a threat then Apple wouldn't be putting Bing into the iPhone as the default because they'd be worried about Microsoft getting too much power over them.

The fact that they're not worried about that happening says everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vip

macrumors regular
May 8, 2008
Editing Office documents on an iPhone is an epic fail IMHO. I mean being able to view them is one thing but trying to force users to edit them on a small screen is like trying to merge the Laptop into a Tablet... wait a minute. People don't even use iPhones with a bluetooth keyboard they way the would with an iPad. Why they didn't make this for iPad first is beyond me.

Is there ANY leadership at Microsoft or has it become a million monkeys in front of a million screens?

I think you'll find it works on iPad (and mini). The App store description says it's compatible, however, the "more info" bit which is from M$oft says it works only on iPhones, just shows you the kludge M$oft has created. As usual no real thought on how to release a product.

crosseyedbum

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2013
Scratch my back, I scratch yours

Apple announces at WWDC that their new Siri search engine support will be handled by Bing. A few days later, Microsoft finally releases Microsoft Office for iOS. Coincidence? I think not!

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
DOA app, so crippled.

Also, Microsoft's marketing needs to get a clue and stop with the dumb naming. "Office Mobile for Office 365 Subscribers"...really? :rolleyes:

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Of all the things in the world I'd pay for on a subscription basis, Microsoft Office ranks right in between Punches In The Face and Cremation.

...come to think of it, it also ranks between them in user experience.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Sounds like they're protecting Surface by not releasing ipad version. And they won't sell it in App Store because they don't want to pay Apple 30% commission.

Dunno if that's the case since they list the subscription as an in-app purchase.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Another sad ploy to entice subscription to 365...

How many corps actually use 365? Epic fail M$oft.
I don't know how many corps actually use 365, but AFAIK, Office 365 has been the only new version of Office that you can buy in consumer stores (like Best Buy, Target, etc) for the last six months.

icelord

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2004
Took so long because of the captain of the helm.

Ballmer's iPhone Market Share Claim

Quote: "There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance."

Date: 6/29/2007

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011

Actually, more than you realize. Microsoft makes it pretty compelling if you're a high visibility customer. Service is actually pretty solid, albeit we're at the E3 tier versus Harry Homeowner.

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Ballmer's iPhone Market Share Claim

Quote: "There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance."

Date: 6/29/2007

MS stock will soar the day they fire Ballmer. It's been the elephant in the room for many, many years.

typeadam

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
This is great! We use Office 365 at work and we've been looking for RMS solutions for our iDevices so we wouldn't have to switch to Windows Phones. Wonder if this will do it!? :cool:

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Yeah, but how big is Maryland.

Not really meaningful.

When you step into the 300,000 employes running Office give is a call.

Ok. Talk to General Motors then.

----------

Yep - In app for home users. Not commercial accounts.

It works with a commercial tier of 365 out of the gate. No purchase required. Is it all that or what I'd expect? Not really. But it's a start.

Vip

macrumors regular
May 8, 2008
This is great! We use Office 365 at work and we've been looking for RMS solutions for our iDevices so we wouldn't have to switch to Windows Phones. Wonder if this will do it!? :cool:

Cracking! This puts the nail in the coffin for win phones. :rolleyes:

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Subscription based software is incredibly unappealing. I don't buy in. I have no desire to pay monthly or yearly for things I may or may not use. I want to buy the tool and that is the end of the payment scheming.

Anything that requires constant internet connection is also a no-go - won't buy. Internet connections are not reliable.

Office 365 doesn't require a constant internet connection, but rather a check in at least once every 60 days. But I can see why some people don't like it

pac

Mattstkc

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2009
Chicago, IL
why is this a big deal? It would have mattered before Google Drive, before Pages didn't suck, before Dropbox, or Files, or a dozen other more useful, non-subscription apps. It doesn't matter anymore. too late, Microsoft. Too Late.

----------

I'll stick with Docs To Go, thank you.

I love how even though RIM bought them out that app still works amazingly well. The sync with desktop is nice, and the cool thing is I daisy-chain it with my Dropbox so everything is uber-synced.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
Ok, guys, read the whole paragraph, you apparently didn't make it to the end.

His point is that this proves that Microsoft is no longer Apple's competitor; Google is. If Microsoft was a threat then Apple wouldn't be putting Bing into the iPhone as the default because they'd be worried about Microsoft getting too much power over them.

The fact that they're not worried about that happening says everything.

Remember you can set your default search engine on both the iPhone and the Mac to Bing as I have done years ago.

Apple and Microsoft have always been "friends". It's Google that threatens both of them, and who will have to be destroyed if they are to survive. Yes it's that dire.

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007

way more than you think. Pretty much all small business has switched over to 365. We did and it was the best move we made. Saves thousands annually in IT

typeadam

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
I don't know how many corps actually use 365, but AFAIK, Office 365 has been the only new version of Office that you can buy in consumer stores (like Best Buy, Target, etc) for the last six months.

Huh? :confused: Office 2013 just came out not THAT long ago and is not a subscription service. My company uses 365 but we are also upgrading people's machines to Office 2013 Pro Plus - considering that it offers things like InfoPath, which gets a ton of use where I work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.