Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
It will be great when it's done, and the project is gaining momentum. The linux community is smaller than the MS community, but they tend to run wild and address usability issues in some very clever ways as opposed to MS and Apple's "this is the way I like it, and this is how it will remain" mentality.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
At Microsoft's TechEd conference in New Orleans, they sold RTs with a touch cover for $99. Pros were $399. There were 3 hour line ups, maybe that's the price point they need to hit.

I sold my iPad 3 while it still had some value in anticipation of the next iPad model, and in the meantime I've been using the RT. I'm way more productive on it than the iPad, especially with Windows 8.1 and Outlook. However I do miss the iPad's form factor, some of the apps and iBooks. When I get whatever the new iPad is, I'll probably still use the RT as my productive device, and the iPad as my leisure device.

This is so obviously an MS shill. You sold your iPad 3 because... what... you were anticipating the next iPad model? Seriously? That's the best cover story you could come up with? When has there even been a hint of a new iPad model?

And then there's that MS code word, "productive." Oh yes, you're more productive. What does that mean, exactly? (Don't answer, we all know it means editing spreadsheets. Cuz that's all anyone really wants to do. Edit spreadsheets.)

Does it mean that you're stupid enough to think we will swallow that ridiculous marketing line that the ideal way to edit spreadsheets is on a 10" touchscreen. And that we need the ability to edit spreadsheets all the time? And that your Surface, which you claim to have bought a while ago, came with Windows 8.1? Jeez.

I hope MS revokes your pay for this post. It was entirely lame.

He's a marketting shill cause he sold is Ipad3 in anticipation for the 4th gen ipad? I think you're the one drinking some cool aid.

Do you forget when Apple released the 4th Gen Ipad, that it featured the full resolution of the ipad3, plus completely new spec's, then immediately cancelled further sales of the ipad3 leaving only the ipad2 and the 4th gen ipad on the market, instead of selling the ipad3 in a "middle space". A lot of people, once the rumours of this started coming out sold their Ipad3's for some return towards their purchase of the 4th, since once the 4th came out, the ipad3 would have almost no resale value.

This does not make him a Microsoft Shill.

and is it really that hard to believe that in the interim while he waited fro the 4th gen ipad to come out, he decided to give the Surface a try? I know quite a few people with both ipad's and Surfaces. They all share one common statement. They get more done on the Surface. From email, spreadsheets (which you discount as useless), documentation editting and management. notetaking, email capability (Outlook is one of the best email clients out there, sorry), to having access to "desktop mode" and the full suite of designed for windows functionality.

Thats no attack on the ipad. The Ipad is still one of the best tablets on the market. that display is stunning. the performance is top notch and its form factor and design is wonderful. But the ipad shares more in common with functionality and use with the iphone and it's ecosystem and software than it does apples PC side. the same type of tools aren't there. The same functionality isn't necessarily there and it's not a device that can do everything everyone wants (despite what the commercials will tell you).

Where the surface on the other hand, comes at it from a different approach. it attempts to make a PC experience scaled down into the palm of your hands.

two completely different approaches yielding two completely different experiences.

if you're someone who's primary use of a tablet is going to be web browsing and the occasional game, who's looking for the quick and cheap apps to entertain them, there is no better device than the ipad right now. But if you're looking for something that has a more of a scaled down computer feel, Windows Surface might be better.

p.s. this is where you call me a microsoft shill cause any opinion different than yours and "apple is king" makes me paid by someone else

Ontopic though for RT's "sales' and pricing.
The base RT currently sells for $499 here in Canada. For the average consumer who looks at Dollar to "specs" then ecosystem, This is not a good deal. This is in fact, a TERRIBLE deal for an ARM tegra3 based device. at least it comes with 32gb space. But the comparison to Apple's is innevitable. And when you look at $499 price point, you can get 4th Gen ipad w/ 16gb. While it's less storage, most consumers will see the screen, and know that they'll at least have a large ecoystem to buy into.

I dont think even $350 that it's supposed to go on sale for is a good deal for this tablet. for les than $350, you can get into any number of quality 10" android tablets. Many featuring the Tegra3 as well. Microsoft is expecting RT buyers to pay a very large premium to buy an MSFT based device, and the value isn't there. $350 is much much better, but I still think they need to hit the $299 pricepoint that many 10" tablets from the android camp have managed to hit. for that 499 today, I can buy a Transformer Pad Infinity, or the Galaxy Note 10 or that brand new sony Z tablet

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I was at the MS Store a couple of days ago and Acer and some other manufacturer had Atom-Based Tablets running REAL Windows 8 for $399.

Not RT, so you can load many Windows programs on it (iTunes!). Not bad for an Atom - they seem to be very responsive and play 720p videos. But didn't make the $499 tablets running RT look very desirable, unless you are happy with the RT apps out there.

Yep, this is one of the reasons RT should not exist. A cheaper Atom tablet can run full windows with no compromise in battery life, weight or size. There isn't even much of a compromise in power, especially for a casual "tablet" type user. Microsoft chose the wrong platform to put its muscle behind. I have a feeling they needed to appease the OEMs after they betrayed them by announcing they were making hardware, and gave them the Atom business instead of MS making an atom tablet. Unfortunately the OEM's did a piss poor job of launching the atom tablets, when in reality they were and are MS salvation.

glutenenvy

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
WA
Its difficult to want to go try out a product when the advertising doesn't show how it works for me. I've seen how the keyboard removes and snaps into place. I've seen the competition "can't do that" commercials which fail to get the point across that the product they are selling can. I haven't seen how it can play my Windows 98 Dungeon Keeper II, Symantec Ghost, OpenLibreOffice, sync to my iDevices, phones, etc., or even how well it controls my server room while I am out of state.

Without using a Surface RT, based solely on the advertising, I cannot determine if it is an entertainment toy or a tool. I don't want to spend several hundred dollars to find out.

I might spend $100 to find out. When it is $100 I might buy one.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It will be great when it's done, and the project is gaining momentum. The linux community is smaller than the MS community, but they tend to run wild and address usability issues in some very clever ways as opposed to MS and Apple's "this is the way I like it, and this is how it will remain" mentality.

It might be, or it might not be.

Also... Ubuntu Touch is pretty much "this is how I like it and this is how it will remain". Don't assume otherwise.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Dude, you can change anything you dislike in Linux. That's the point. Don't like unity? There are plenty of other desktop environments to choose from.

I feel dirty saying this, but I can see GNOME Shell working out well on the Surface.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Dude, you can change anything you dislike in Linux. That's the point. Don't like unity? There are plenty of other desktop environments to choose from.
While this is somewhat true, There are further dependancies built into the environments.

Also what is compatible with the touch devices and designed around them

I would LOVE to have gnome on a touch device thats for sure

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
This is so obviously an MS shill. You sold your iPad 3 because... what... you were anticipating the next iPad model? Seriously? That's the best cover story you could come up with? When has there even been a hint of a new iPad model?

And then there's that MS code word, "productive." Oh yes, you're more productive. What does that mean, exactly? (Don't answer, we all know it means editing spreadsheets. Cuz that's all anyone really wants to do. Edit spreadsheets.)

Does it mean that you're stupid enough to think we will swallow that ridiculous marketing line that the ideal way to edit spreadsheets is on a 10" touchscreen. And that we need the ability to edit spreadsheets all the time? And that your Surface, which you claim to have bought a while ago, came with Windows 8.1? Jeez.

Your reasoning is entirely flawed and lame. The iPad is not an ultimate device it has flaws.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
Throw ubuntu on an RT and I'll buy one today.
This has to be the funniest post I've read in a long time. Thanks for making my day.

----------

I feel dirty saying this, but I can see GNOME Shell working out well on the Surface.
Need I remind you that Linux is free if your time is worth nothing.....

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Are you from an alternate timeline? The Bill Gates in this one is hardly charitable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_gates#Philanthropy

As of 2007, Bill and Melinda Gates were the second-most generous philanthropists in America, having given over $28 billion to charity;[82] the couple plan to eventually donate 95% of their wealth to charity.[83]

I'm now just wondering what timeline you came from? did you come here in a little blue box thats bigger on the inside?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

Just wait until the dependencies for x, y, or z doesn't allow you to install a different Desktop Environment on your ARM tablet...

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
The board could easily vote him off, it's happened to many a CEO. He's safe for now, but the vast majority of the company's gigantic profits still come from groundwork laid in the 1990s (the Windows/Office monopoly). His eventual downfall will be a failure to move with the times and successfully compete in the post-PC era.

As I said, he has control over the board due to other things. Either they are personal friends, or other method of controlling. That's my understanding, I don't know the details. Thus the board won't vote him out because it will cause other issues for them.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
One Man's Opinion

It saddens me that viable iPad competitors (save for Samsung) are not surviving against Apple: It will not force Apple to lower prices for tablets.

Now, before the Fanboys get their shorts in a bunch, competition is a good thing...even for Apple. We see this in the phone arena where Apple is/may be coming out with low cost offerings. And competition has seen the incorporation of at least 7 jailbreak offerings and features into iOS7.

I have no love for Microsoft (the old Evil Empire) nor Google (the NEW Evil Empire) but, like I said earlier, competition is a good thing...even for Apple.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
As I said, he has control over the board due to other things. Either they are personal friends, or other method of controlling. That's my understanding, I don't know the details. Thus the board won't vote him out because it will cause other issues for them.

Balmer has reigned over huge Microsoft expansion. Microsoft's products and services include: Windows, Office, Xbox, SQL Server, System Center, Unified Communications, SharePoint, Developer Tools, Dynamics (ERP & CRM), Online display and search advertising, and Azure.

He didn't start all these of course. Maybe Balmer should be canned. But this is probably why he has not yet been fired.

Kerber0s34

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2008
Kelowna, BC

What's your malfunction? How am I a shill? My job (developer) requires me to work in the MS world, which is not a bad thing. Personally I am a closet apple fan boy. I've had every iphone to date, except the 4s, (typing this on my 5). I've also had a few android phones. I already have two 1st Gen iPads in my household so if I really want one I can wrestle it away from my wife. My personal laptop is a Mac book air, and will buy the next Gen one whenever that comes out.

Productive for me on the RT means being able to alt tab between docs while replying to emails, and yes, spreadsheets. A lot of my productivity involves reviewing and editing code files. Before the RT, I did this on the iPad, just not as easily.

As for the next iPad, of course there will be another iPad, just like there will be a 2015 Ford Mustang, or a 4k Samsung tv. Won't be this month or maybe even this year. But there will be one. I simply recognized that I can get $400 for my iPad 3 now or much less later.

One can live in more than one world and be quite happy.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I'm curious what the Surface Pro 2 will be like, the current one looks great so....

Move towards haswell for the next edition of the Surface pro should be a no brainer.

Just look at the battery life increase on the MBA's from moving from ivy to haswell. 10-12 hour battery life? Thats pretty sweet!

One of the biggest detractors from the Surface pro was that in order to accomodate the x86 architecture in a non gimped CPU (Aka Atom), the device was made bigger and heavier, pushing the boundaries of what people wanted to use as a tablet. Then The 4ish battery life gave the perception that this was a bad tablet (though it was in line with the battery expectations of other 11" based Ultrabooks).

If MSFT can resolve the battery issue, and bring the Pro more in line with weight / dimensions of the RT, due to Haswells much improved thermal design, And then bring the price point more in line with the ipad, I would imagine the Surface Pro would be a formidable contender in the high end tablet / low end ultrabook marketplace.

However, under the current strategy of putting the RT up against the ipad at the similar price point is a mistake. And the Surface Pro also suffers from people 'ignoring' microsofts offerings cause of the misaligned RT

beaniemyman

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
hard-work + patience = a successful and dominant product, if microsoft keeps on following this formula they'll soon be king of the tablet market

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.