Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bulgroz

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2004
Brussels
daveL said:
Yes, they were called virtual terminals, but they didn't come along until the mid-80's, if I recall. The 'su' command existed in the earliest versions of Unix at Bell Labs.

I just wanted to show that Fast user switching existed a long time before Windows XP and that it wasn't an innovation of M$. They only made it look better. (And then Apple made it much better…)

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Bulgroz said:
I just wanted to show that Fast user switching existed a long time before Windows XP and that it wasn't an innovation of M$. They only made it look better. (And then Apple made it much better…)
Obviously, I agree with you.:)

windowsblowsass

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
pa
iGAV said:
yep I read about it, but the fine is a big part of it... they should have been hit much, much harder in that respect, if they thought they were going to receive multi-billion $ fines everytime they took the pi$$, they'd soon realise.

What the EU should demand, is that the removal MediaPlayer happens now... and only allow Microsoft to appeal the fine amount, otherwise Microsoft will not be affected in anyway at all, because the process of appeal will drag on for years and years.

But like the pat on the back Microsoft received from the U.S. Courts a couple of years ago, this doesn't go anyway near far enough, MS only will have to offer the alternative OS to PC makers, in which case, do we really believe that companies like Dell etc are going to provide a stripped down OS over the fully functioning one?? I think not...

It's about time authorities realised that Microsoft is NEVER going to change it's unethical approach, and that something really needs to be done... NOW, before we're all f**kin' doomed to it's unsecure, second rate, retro-innovative products.
i agree a couple days interest and thats it and all they have to do is make a versionw/o wm available it doesnt mean itll chang e anything

windowsblowsass

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
pa
Foxer said:
Well, you missed a classic. Microsoft Bob was the shortlived GUI that was pasted over Windows 3.1 in early 95. It was designed to look like a physical office, with a checkbook, an address book, etc. It came installed on a machine I bought and I found it fairly awful - of course I'd been messing around with Windows since 1989, so I didn't need to have it "dumbed down."

The only real legacy of the project was that damn paperclip that comes with Office. He got his start with Bob, but as a dog I think.

http://toastytech.com/guis/bob2.html
the only good paper clip is a dead one to see this check ot windowsRG heres a demo http://www.deanliou.com/WinRG/WinRG.htm

joeconvert

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2003
TX
Cold Hard Cash?

Trimix said:
Dare I say that at least over here Microsoft will not get away with donating 500 million worth of PeeCees to some schools like in the USofA. It is going to be cold hard cash yippppiieeeeee ! I want to see a copy of that cheque being published PLEEEEEEEEASE.

Of which they have over $40 Billion (US).

No big impact to them. However, I do not condone what would be in effect the "nationalization" of a company's product. If they hate MS so much forbide them from doing business in Europe. Then we will see just how robust the EU economies really are.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Evil Microsoft

five04 said:
why do you all think microsoft is this big evil company? let's be honest people, they've made a lot of good innovations in technology. if we didn't have one main os in the market, not as many people would be using a computer. your average person doesn't want to have to learn another os. i use my ibook for portable things and my pc for my home so i'm not partial to either format. both have their advantages. i do think that if microsoft didn't try to include things such as a media player people would have no idea how to play files. my mom could sit down and if a sound file didn't open up she'd have no idea how to fix that. people want an os that will work. i think the same thing can be said for apple too. why does it come with ilife and quicktime? honestly, if you took ms out of the picture what os would take over? the average person buying a $499 computer system from dell can't afford a $2000 system from apple. is linux a viable option? not at all. it seems the governments are going after microsoft while the normal computer user doesn't care.
No one is saying Microsoft can't include IE and Wimp. They're saying they can't make Applications part of the Operating System. You can throw Quicktime player or Safari in the trash and get rid of them if you want to. You can't throw IE
or Wimp in the trash the O/S won't let you. All they want is for MS to make Applications, Applications and not part of the Operating System.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Bulgroz said:
Actually, I think that XP and OS X's implementations are far superior to what Linux/Unix offered beforehand. Both OS's offer it in a secure manner, where as, on Linux, you basically can access any desktop that is logged in via the alt-<FKey> combo. I don't really consider it the same thing. (My Linux experience is limited to RedHat, so forgive me if another distro offers it - I don't think RedHat's 5-9 do, nor does Solaris 8 or 9 AFAIK)

And, yes, I know that Unix has had the ability to su for ever (I've been a Unix user since about 1989 or so). Unix is a true Multi-User OS, something windows only dreams about being (like the joke that is Windows Terminal Server!) - which is the reason for a lot of their security woes, I do believe.

bumfilter

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
Useless but relevant tip:

It will take Microsoft (Global) about 2 weeks in order to make enough profit to pay the fine.

How mental is that?! That's like $500 a second! Microsoft probably laughed themselves to sleep when they got the fine.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
No more Microsoft in Europe

So other than a temporary loss of sales, what would stop microsoft from refusing to release windows in Europe. Eventually people would be so pissed off that they couldn't upgrade their OS's or download patches and service packs that the people and business would yell loudly at the courts forcing them to re-evaluate the rulings.

I am an Apple user and dislike Microsoft's tendancy toward world domination but I still think these rulings are dumb. There is nothing stoping a user from using alternative web browsers, movie players, etc. Just because IE is included free doesn't mean you have to use it. If Mozilla continued to innovate and built a better, faster browser, people would buy it. Just like people still buy Roxio Toast even though cd burning is included in iTunes.

vpalvarez

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2004
Savage Henry said:
I love the bit : "Microsoft claims that it should not be fined at all because it did not know its behaviour would breach EU law. "

The day Ignorance of any law is considered suitable defence is the day the foundation of Justice is destroyed.

Half a billion bucks does sound juicy enough to make me smile.

Their stocks have already lost $1 in the past week, so I'm curious to see how the market reacts. (Not that the news wasn't expected)

You'd think that the high priced lawyers at the world's top software manufacturer would have know that their company was breaking the law. I guess that aside from the executives MS's lawyers are also mindless nitwits

vpalvarez

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2004
digitalbiker said:
So other than a temporary loss of sales, what would stop microsoft from refusing to release windows in Europe. Eventually people would be so pissed off that they couldn't upgrade their OS's or download patches and service packs that the people and business would yell loudly at the courts forcing them to re-evaluate the rulings..
With Business practices like that they would be sued by Consumers (no doubt it would be the biggest class action suit ever), retailers, the EU and individual countries that use Windows (they would be unable to upgrade), and individual companies. The EU would not re-evaluate the ruling they would just increase the fine

digitalbiker said:
I am an Apple user and dislike Microsoft's tendancy toward world domination but I still think these rulings are dumb. There is nothing stoping a user from using alternative web browsers, movie players, etc. Just because IE is included free doesn't mean you have to use it. If Mozilla continued to innovate and built a better, faster browser, people would buy it. Just like people still buy Roxio Toast even though cd burning is included in iTunes.

People are less likely to buy other brands, and that has adamagine effect on the sales of the third party developers

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
No Microsoft in Europe

vpalvarez said:
With Business practices like that they would be sued by Consumers (no doubt it would be the biggest class action suit ever), retailers, the EU and individual countries that use Windows (they would be unable to upgrade)

On what grounds can someone sue just because a business decides to no longer support or sale a product! Microsoft is not obligated to support windows or improve their product forever.

Since the courts in that area are hostile to Microsoft, I believe they have every right to refuse service to that area. After all, Microsoft isn't a real monopoly. There are many alternatives. In fact, I am using OSX on an Apple PowerBook replying in Safari. At work I use a linux box that runs propriatary software for my business. I get by as do millions of others without Microsoft.

I am not trying to argue for Microsoft. I just don't think courts should be trying to interfere with a perfectly well functioning free market place of Software and hardware. Eventually people will choose to buy and use other products that are not made by Microsoft. New devices are coming out everyday, the landscape changes fast, today microsoft is on top but who will be the next big player and what device will it be.

geffde

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2004
Good Point, but Microsoft isn't the only guilty party

Kind of dangerous for a n00b to be defending Microsoft on a forum title "macrumors" and I hope that I am spared the visceral "Microsoft-is-the-spawn-of-the-Devil-must-kill-bill-(gates)" reaction.

Naimfan said:
I have yet to meet a programmer, including within MS, who believes Windows wouldn't work with IE or Media Player removed.

This is most likely true. For example, it is completely impossible for you to uninstall IE or Media Player in any Windows edition since 2000 short of finding all the memory addresses either application is stored in on the hard drive and manually scratching them out. I know that because I spent about a week trying every possible way. And even though Microsoft is known for providing shoddy programming to the masses, they aren't so stupid as to allow technology-challenged (or even technical adepts) to completely muck up their software. Most of the time...

However, Apple has bundled QuickTime and OS X together (<a href="http://developer.apple.com/macosx/architecture/">as evidence by a wonderfully rendered "aqua-licious" image on Apple's site</a>) so tightly that QuickTime integrated directly into the system architecture. You can't uninstall QuickTime from OS X, but I don't see people crying foul over this. I am sure to get flak about how its <em>so</em> different, but in reality it isn't. I'm on a 1.25 GHz PowerBook G4 running 10.3.3 and I have QuickTime, RealMedia Player and Windows Media Player (but only because nothing else supports the .wma or .wmv codecs. Honest!) and all run well, just like QuickTime, RealMedia Player and Windows Media Player work fine on Windows machines.

On an endnote that is sure to get me brownie points...there isn't an analogous situation between IE and Safari AND I personally believe that Microsoft should be dismantled piecemeal like Standard Oil and Bell Telephone were back in the day when governments weren't afraid to confront big business (but I think that has a lot to do with the current head honcho of the US...)

applebum

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2003
SC
slowtreme said:
Wow this really sucks that I am defending MS here.

Microsoft created a better alternative to the Netscape product. When IE took off in popularity Netscape was horrible, hands down. MS provided a free and functioning alternative. They took away Netscape's market, actually they showed that there was no need for NS to bother selling thier product anymore, it was crap, and there already free alternatives (other than IE). This is also the same time Software like BeOS was hitting the street with with integrated browser, and every other OS vendor was starting to follow suit. MS was following the market. It wasn't until IE5 that MS began to merge/share code with the file explorer. At the time IE was easily the best functioning browser, integrated or not.

For all of Window's pitfalls, I don't see how removing IE makes it a better product for consumers.

Ok - I couldn't hold back anymore - someone may have posted this already, if so I apologize for the repeat. One little thing has been forgotten about the Netscape case. Netscape was number one. MS decided they wanted to be number one, so they created IE. Then they began to bundle IE with Windows. Netscape was still number one. Then MS took their 95% market share and told vendors "hey, if you put NS on the desktop, we aren't going to let you use Windows anymore. With 95% of the market, the vendors couldn't afford to go against MS. So they stopped putting NS on the desktop. People stopped using NS since it wasn't right there and began using IE. If it is right there, people will use it. Eventually IE became the better browser. But look at the money differences in the 2 companies. This was the heart of the anti-trust case here in the US. If MS made such a better browser, why did they have to play unfairly. This is what made them a monopoly - using their marketshare to "blackmail" other companies.

RHutch

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2003
Amsterdam, OH
geffde said:
However, Apple has bundled QuickTime and OS X together (<a href="http://developer.apple.com/macosx/architecture/">as evidence by a wonderfully rendered "aqua-licious" image on Apple's site</a>) so tightly that QuickTime integrated directly into the system architecture. You can't uninstall QuickTime from OS X, but I don't see people crying foul over this. I am sure to get flak about how its <em>so</em> different, but in reality it isn't. I'm on a 1.25 GHz PowerBook G4 running 10.3.3 and I have QuickTime, RealMedia Player and Windows Media Player (but only because nothing else supports the .wma or .wmv codecs. Honest!) and all run well, just like QuickTime, RealMedia Player and Windows Media Player work fine on Windows machines.

On an endnote that is sure to get me brownie points...there isn't an analogous situation between IE and Safari AND I personally believe that Microsoft should be dismantled piecemeal like Standard Oil and Bell Telephone were back in the day when governments weren't afraid to confront big business (but I think that has a lot to do with the current head honcho of the US...)

Who cares about uninstalling QuickTime? This is not the same thing as Windows Media Player. You think that you are comparing like things, but you are not. QuickTime is not the same as QuickTime Player. You might not be able to remove QuickTime from your Mac without causing problems (if you can remove it at all), but you can remove QuickTime Player without causing any problems.

As for the graphic that you referred to, scroll over the QuickTime box on that page and you will see from the text that appears that what is being referred to is the QuickTime "technology", not the QuickTime Player application. The technology is a part of the OS; the application is not.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
RHutch said:
Who cares about uninstalling QuickTime?

While I agree that comparing Quicktime technology and Media Player are like comparing Apples and oranges, my point is who cares about unistalling anything.

Just because software resides on your computer doesn't mean you have to use it or that it excludes using other software.

Apple is just as guilty of including software with the computer purchase or OS purchase as Microsoft. Sure you can remove iTunes or iPhoto and install Roxio toast or Photoshop lite. But how is this much different than installing Nero or Photoshop lite on Windows and just using those apps instead of the OS bundled apps. People still have the choice.

I agree that it makes it more difficult for a windows software developer to make a good web browser program to compete but the freely included iphoto that comes pre-installed on a Mac makes it equally difficult for Apple developers to develop a photo organizing and publishing package.

It all boils down to innovation! If a software developer provides a unique piece of software that does something different and everybody needs that edge, that piece of software will sell. Eventually it will become outdated and possibly lose out to other packages but by then a new innovation will be making the money.

The computer industry is one of the fastest mutating landscapes in history. I am sure that in 10 to 20 years things will look a lot different. I remember in 1984 when the biggest selling consumer computer was the Commodore 64. I had a whopping 300 baud modem and began using compuserve which was a new service. So you tell me who and what will be on top in 2024!

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
carletonmusic said:
{Nelson voice} [pointing] ----> Ha-ha!
ROFLMAO!!!

all I can say is IT'S ABOUT FREEKIN TIME!!! Was wondering whom had to balls to put it to M$< (that less than sign is intentional for its loosing this battle).

Microsoft has accused the EU of going too far in seeking a record fine for alleged antitrust abuses, saying it is being penalized for behavior permitted in the United States and did not realize it was acting illegally in Europe.

Now that is funny coming from a company supposedly run by adults. Sounds like my 5 yrs old son whining that hey my sister gets to this so why can't I??!

Was watching CNN Headline news early eastern standard time with the interview with their spokesman chin up high acting confident for investers. Lets just hope that the USA Justice Department will have the balls next time around.

trilogic

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2001
Switzerland
digitalbiker said:
Just because software resides on your computer doesn't mean you have to use it or that it excludes using other software.

Yes, but the majority of people just use what is preinstalled. I don't know many pc users, that install a second browser. why should they, IE does the job just perfect.

digitalbiker said:
Apple is just as guilty of including software with the computer purchase or OS purchase as Microsoft. Sure you can remove iTunes or iPhoto and install Roxio toast or Photoshop lite. But how is this much different than installing Nero or Photoshop lite on Windows and just using those apps instead of the OS bundled apps. People still have the choice.

I agree that Apple is including software with their computers. but as long as apple hasn't got >95% market share, it just doesn't matter.

microsoft has a monopoly and they use this position to get bigger and enter new markets. I'm pretty sure that most other companies (including apple) would try to do so in a similar way. otherwise a company wouldn't get so powerfull and big.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Stolid said:
I might be wrong; but I bet the reason CDs overtook Cassettes is not the quality or anything like that -- its the fact that you can jump to any song you want at any time. People like that; they see the benifit.

By the way... the CD overtook the vinyl record in first place, not the cassette. And that was because of many things. Sound, longevity, size, etc...pp...

And today the main reasons why everybody is burning CD-Rs instead of using tapes are:

1. It is a 1:1 copy with no sound loss.
2. It is compatible with any CD-Player (and everybody has one these days)
3. It is CHEAP!!! (50 cents for a CD-R)
4. Copies are made very fast and not in real-time...
5. There is no sound loss over the time by using it often

To jump back and forth on the media is maybe convenient, but I don't know a lot of people who would see that as the main benefit of using CD-Rs. Normally you put it in and you listen to it in one piece...

groovebuster

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
In the (inconceivable) event that Microsoft were to pull out of Europe, it would force Europeans to explore other options (which they already have been doing to a limited extent - take the city of Munich's adoption of Linux).

Microsoft's whole strategy is based upon them being a desktop monopoly in enterprise. The reason big organisations don't switch from the No.1 is because the associated costs, hassle and risk of migration. However, left with no choice, they would migrate.

Over time Europe would prove the case for the Linux desktop. And organisations with Linux desktops would also use Linux servers. Microsoft's worldwide share of the desktop would start dropping for the first time in history. You could expect them to lose up to 20% market share to Linux.

As many global enterprises are based in Europe, if their European divisions/headquarters were forced to migrate from Microsoft, this would very likely precipitate an organisation-wide migration. Hence, Microsoft would lose a further 20% market share.

This leaves them with a 55% market share, and a monopoly lost forever. But is does not stop there. Remember that the reason enterprise customers don't want to migrate from Microsoft is because of the costs, hassle & risk of migration. Once such a large number of big enterprises have made the switch, any teathing problems will have been ironed out, the case for lower cost of ownership in Linux will have (probably) finally been made, leaving only the hassle factor, which would be managable. So you could expect the remaining 55% market share to also steadily be eroded.

In summary, Microsoft needs Europe more than Europe needs Microsoft.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
groovebuster said:
To jump back and forth on the media is maybe convenient, but I don't know a lot of people who would see that as the main benefit of using CD-Rs. Normally you put it in and you listen to it in one piece...

groovebuster

Groovebuster, That last point about jumping back & forth is the MAIN reason why I loved CD. Back in late 86 was amongst the first to have one-no hip hop available then. Remember 8-Tracks; that back & forth thing was sweet. tapes like the DCC from Kenwood tried to have that functionality but having a tape being eaten by the deck was a serious pain.

Foocha, great insight. hoping that this decision takes affect immediately.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
geffde said:
QuickTime, RealMedia Player and Windows Media Player (but only because nothing else supports the .wma or .wmv codecs. Honest!)

Check out VLC (VideoLAN Client). This program has run both wmv and wma files for me...sometimes even better than WMP. It still is in developmental stages (not a 1.0 release, yet), but it is still a nice FREE app, and alternative to WMP.

Why I think what is happening here is important is that somebody is at least trying to prevent history repeating itself. IE nudged out Netscape, and now that Netscape is pretty much out of the picture, IE has stagnated and has not even kept up with the times. This creates a HUGE pain for web designers who are trying to create fresh content, and extend the capabilities of web browsers, but find themselves hindered by IE 6. This is a prime example where MS has been a danger to the computing society. Not only do Microsoft and innovation never go together, by having such a dominating presence in several fields, they are actually stifling innovation! So what am I going to do with my great looking web page? Settle with least common denominator? Create a whole separate site just for "older" browsers like IE 5 & 6 now? Microsoft only worked hard enough to destroy its competition and then it stopped caring. Apple is continually having to innovate its butt off just to survive. I believe the same goes for smaller companies. They need to make as great a product as possible to be successful. They actually have to rely on *gasp* ... quality! So, to prevent WMP from completely pushing out Real and QuickTime, the same problems need to be avoided.

Has M$ learned anything from its history? Apparently not. As others have mentioned, what happens if you do not effectively punish a disobedient child? You get a child who does not learn from his/her mistakes...and perhaps considers and thinks about things in the future.

macguymike

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2003
California
The EU is already looking into charges from Microsoft competitors that its latest desktop operating system, Windows XP, is designed to help extend Microsoft's dominance into new markets such as instant messaging and mobile phones.

Funny. Kinda sounds like OS X. :eek: :D

Trimix

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Switzerland
ACED said:
I'm an Australian willing to acknowledge the success of any great enterprise... and yes, gladly American companies like MS, Apple, Dell, IBM, Intel, Motorola, GM, Ford, etc. doesn't make any difference to me.

question your own 'fairness'...

GM, a perfect example :D

Trimix

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Switzerland
joeconvert said:
Of which they have over $40 Billion (US).

No big impact to them. However, I do not condone what would be in effect the "nationalization" of a company's product. If they hate MS so much forbide them from doing business in Europe. Then we will see just how robust the EU economies really are.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, EU economies would flounder without Microsoft coming to their rescue - showing them how real American enterprise save them from sliding back into the Middle Ages. Without American industrial leadership Europe would surely drown in a morass of mediocrity. Do you think America invented democracy too ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.