Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foggydavid

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2014
Outlook 2015

Of course Microsoft didn't spend any time developing Outlook for Mac.
No one uses it!

lancdoc

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
Calendar Update?

One of the main reasons I use Outlook for Windows through Parallels is the ability to make appointments on my iPhone or iPad and have my calendars updated on all devices. I've seen at least one comment that the new Outlook still lacks this function, which for me is a real deal breaker. I am not a real sophisticated email user and was trying to decide whether to switch over to the native mail app in Yosemite or wait for the new Outlook.

Can anyone else confirm that new Outlook calendar continues to be isolated from iCloud and other Apple devices?

Thanks,

Mike

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
One of the main reasons I use Outlook for Windows through Parallels is the ability to make appointments on my iPhone or iPad and have my calendars updated on all devices. I've seen at least one comment that the new Outlook still lacks this function, which for me is a real deal breaker. I am not a real sophisticated email user and was trying to decide whether to switch over to the native mail app in Yosemite or wait for the new Outlook.

Can anyone else confirm that new Outlook calendar continues to be isolated from iCloud and other Apple devices?

Thanks,

Mike

The Outlook Calendar supports only Exchange Server. No support for iCloud..

flipshot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Hertfordshire, UK

Thanks,

Mike

Yes its still isolated. The Mac version is mainly designed for Exchange users. It has the ability for POP and IMAP, but I get the impression Microsoft only really added it so you can setup secondary accounts that don't run on Exchange like your personal account or whatever. Calendar and Contacts require exchange to sync.

sguser

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
Has anyone manager to activate this reskin of Outlook 2011 using "Work account". On the activation screen, I'm prompted to select either "Microsoft account" or "Work account". I pick Work Account because that's what I used to activate Office on iPad. The activation window allows me to login and then takes me with download links for my company. But I don't see the way how to activation my copy of Outlook 2015?

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Yes its still isolated. The Mac version is mainly designed for Exchange users. It has the ability for POP and IMAP, but I get the impression Microsoft only really added it so you can setup secondary accounts that don't run on Exchange like your personal account or whatever. Calendar and Contacts require exchange to sync.

Stupid Microsoft, this is what I asked about CalDAV and CardDAV support earlier and an instant deal breaker in making any use of Outlook at all whatsoever. In their petty feud with Apple and Google over standards they have forgotten that Outlook is supposed to be an all singing, all dancing, connect to everything premium email and contact client never mind just Exchange. They should have embraced it - I actually expected them too :(

OS X supports them all, with the familiarity of the apps within Yosemite and clients iPhones they have done another faux pas like Windows 8 and shot themselves in the foot with a product that ashamedly falls short of what's required.

Business as usual the rest of the suite is what truly matters anyway on a Mac and from what I see so far they aren't going wrong with Windows 10 thank goodness..

cassini007

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2014
Authentication Error

Is anyone getting an authentication error when trying to set up an Exchange account? No problems with Outlook 2013 on Windows, but this new Mac version just won't take the account.

mac8867

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Anything is better than the default Mail client. It's appalling and looks like something from 1998.

+1. Honestly, I try to be agnostic with respect to software. My goal in life is to have the best tools that suite efficiency in my work. So that means, MS Word is critical, Oracle software and tools are extremely critical, and yes, mail. OSX mail is what I use for my personal accounts, but Outlook is the clear front runner for my corporate accounts (Exchange Server).

We spend a lot of time blaming Microsoft for delays, and we should... they need to hear how much we need them. But they are not completely to blame here. If I was looking at my release schedule, and saw that the target OS platform was releasing a major new operating system version... I too may want to wait for that new OS version to "tame" down (post beta bug correction).

So the net here, for me is, thanks for the updated Outlook Microsoft. I look forward to the updated Office.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Anything is better than the default Mail client. It's appalling and looks like something from 1998.

Like it or loathe it - it's a catch all email client which supports exchange and the other OS X apps support the other features that exchange offer along with cardDAV and calDAV for Google calendar and iCloud support.

My clients, many of which were used to using outlook for windows are also accustomed to using OS X lesser siblings in iOS for these features, so have no need to switch to an email client that doesn't do everything like it really bloody well should.

Sadly Microsoft have dropped the ball with this app so far at least for my clients uses anyway...

soundguyami

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
It does work with on premise exchange servers. We run a hybrid environment and it's working fine.

365 only? Why is MS begging companies to move away from their enterprise software?

Also, you should note that it's for Outlook 365 subscribers only. While my company uses Office 365, we have our own internal Exchange servers, so the new Outlook is useless as it won't activate.

----------

If you use online archiving you will want to switch. Finally works with this but has never worked with any Mac solution.

Like it or loathe it - it's a catch all email client which supports exchange and the other OS X apps support the other features that exchange offer along with cardDAV and calDAV for Google calendar and iCloud support.

My clients, many of which were used to using outlook for windows are also accustomed to using OS X lesser siblings in iOS for these features, so have no need to switch to an email client that doesn't do everything like it really bloody well should.

Sadly Microsoft have dropped the ball with this app so far at least for my clients uses anyway...

djfirth

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2004
Columbus, OH
I had largely given up on using a local Outlook for 2011 client because the app was so bad. I was using OWA to get by, instead. I installed the new Office 365 Outlook for Mac this morning, hoping for good things. It still doesn't sync contact groups between the cloud service and the local client? Egads. What I need is to be able to email different constituent groups (I do church work P/T and the organization uses 365) without having to maintain separate groups for browser-based access from other platforms and the local Mac client. Fail, Microsoft.

It is prettier, though it is a variation on the convoluted UI that Outlook for 2011 had.

patrickhb113

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2014
Not on my iMac

I'm sorry, did I miss the part where it says you have to be running OSX 10.9 in order to install Outlook?

Alas, my 2006 iMac is left behind again!

lancdoc

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
Stupid Microsoft, this is what I asked about CalDAV and CardDAV support earlier and an instant deal breaker in making any use of Outlook at all whatsoever. In their petty feud with Apple and Google over standards they have forgotten that Outlook is supposed to be an all singing, all dancing, connect to everything premium email and contact client never mind just Exchange. They should have embraced it - I actually expected them too :(

OS X supports them all, with the familiarity of the apps within Yosemite and clients iPhones they have done another faux pas like Windows 8 and shot themselves in the foot with a product that ashamedly falls short of what's required.

Business as usual the rest of the suite is what truly matters anyway on a Mac and from what I see so far they aren't going wrong with Windows 10 thank goodness..

You've have clarified my earlier question and it seems my decision is clear; I will likely migrate over to the native Yosemite mail app within the next couple of months. It may not have all of the sophisticated features of Outlook, but it will allow me to end the calendar craziness I now work with. I really expected the Outlook upgrade to address this, even the Windows version allows for iCloud connection. Unbelievable!

Mike

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
The only reason the windows version of Outlook connects to iCloud is because Apple has released an add on to support iCloud on Outlook. This is not the case for the Mac version.

mr0c

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
Virginia, US

Take a look at the built-in help - there is an article "Compare Outlook for Mac for Office 365 with Outlook 2013".

A few tables of "Yes / No" about feature differences. Quite a shame there is still such a large gap between them.

This article: https://support.office.com/en-au/ar...ook-2013-bd54cb79-d367-4c2f-89c7-3e5d16618f87

Not just that, it's feature poor - it's such a waste when you can't do propose new time, voting, distribution lists, quotas, side by side calendars - feels like mac outlook users living in dark ages :mad:

BobD2

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2008
Massachusetts
No lie. I don't think I can wait to update any longer. It takes Word 2008 over a freaking hour to launch on my 2009 Mac Pro running Mavericks (not exaggerating). Up until now, I've been able to find ways to avoid using it, but I can't anymore. I was hoping to not have to buy a 4-year-old product. May have to do the 365 thing.

Very surprised to hear that it takes an hour to launch Word 2008 on your Mac Pro. I have Word 2011 on my Mac Pro (2010 model -- probably not significantly faster than yours). Measured launch time in response to your post -- about 10 seconds from clicking on the Word icon on the dock to having a blank document in front of me ready to write. Sounds like something is wrong with your system, or you need to upgrade to the currently available version.

DesertNomad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Nevada
This new Outlook does not have a script menu. Totally unusable in my work flow as I parse emails into a database with AppleScript.

sshah

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2014
Did anyone have a problem with the import step?

I have the standalone version of Office for Mac 2011 installed. I downloaded Outlook 2015 from Office 365 and when it gets to the import step it shows "no data found" when I select import Outlook 2011 data on this computer. I manually selected the Microsoft User Data folder and I get "the data does not exist in the selected location."

I then tried installing Office for Mac 2011 from Office 365 but I get the same problem.

Called MS Support but they were no help. Any other ideas?

-----------
Hi Denno,

Could you please select the identity folder under Microsoft User Data folder to import. The default location for 2011 identity is ~\Documents\Microsoft User Data\Office 2011 Identities\Main Identity.
Note that you could have replaced the identity name from "Main Identity" to a name of your choice.

Also the one reason that it might say "data not found" is if the identity that you have for 2011 is corrupt. In that case rebuild the 2011 identity with 2011 Outlook and then try importing.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Can anyone please provide insights if this is 64-bit?

Thanks

It is 32-bit.

As for my experience with the app, I use it for my work related emails (to keep them separate from my personal Mail.app emails). I use IMAP with Rackspace. It seemed to import my 5+GB Identity ok.....but just a few hours after installing.....the INBOX would:

- get stuck and NOT connect no matter what I did
- if I repaired the INBOX, for some reason not all the messages would come down.

Needless to say, I was stuck.

Ended up wiping my profile (since they are clearly using a new DB format and holding the Option key when starting the app no longer allows a rebuild). They are storing the profiles in ~/Library/Group Containers.

After removed the profile from within Outlook and re-adding....it was still stuck. So I had to remove my entire profile folder....which meant I lost all my Todos and Calendar. FYI, this version has NO ability to export!!!!

Anyway, after wiping my profile and starting from scratch, I was finally able to get everything working with my IMAP account.

FYI Outlook still sucks with IMAP. I'm can't believe how bad it is and how good Apple Mail is.

-Kevin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.