Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
To see how popular watches still are, one can go to eBay and do a search for ant watch brand, Casio, Timex, Citizen, you name it. Look at the bids. Almost every watch will have bids placed and or but it now options. I bought ten watches on eBay over this past year, all 1955-1980 windup/automatic Timex watches that still run and keep great time.

Or you could go to Tourneau and check out a fine selection of dozens upon dozens of watches selling for 4 to 5 figures. Plenty of people buy watches and wear them.

ALange

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2013
Poland
so someone is not allowed to take a pre existing concept and rework it? We should all be using Flinstones cars by your way of thinking.

Im just saying it works both ways. everyone is copying from everyone, so no need to flame either on ms or aapl. people need to realize it instead of bashing companies

----------

Or you could go to Tourneau and check out a fine selection of dozens upon dozens of watches selling for 4 to 5 figures. Plenty of people buy watches and wear them.

Kiddos wear phones , real men wear watches.

i just cant wait for all of these with iwatch posting here about battery problems :)
i dont remember when i changed battery in my toissot :)

----------

Serious why do Apple fans have this obsession with the blue screen of death? I haven't encountered one on Windows for years.

I just got a blue screen Saturday on 2008 Server - took out the last 3 hours of work on a video compression farm and we almost didn't make air for a TV series that started Sunday.

it may not be the system issue but hardware. every os will fail if hw will die.

----------

Try sticking the HD into a new computer, boot (which tries to repair itself), remove it from the new computer and put it back into the original computer. You'll find that it no longer boots on either computer. That's a huge stability issue.

do the same with osx. install os on imac coreduo and put hdd into latest one. it will fail the same as windows.

----------

I will laugh my ass off in 2014 if everyone has a watch on the market EXCEPT Apple.

its already happening :)

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Yeh Apple might make the coolest one but they are very slow at the punch line especially when rumor sites give away their plans lol

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Just hope the damm things get released soon or the rumors die so whe can move on with the subject, threads just turn hot with people defending companys.

Mystic386

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
Microsoft was into Spot Technology LONG before the current vaporware craze of smart watches. Even as a Mac person I see just a continuation of this old technology.

So if smart watches do take off it appears Microsfot had a great idea but abandoned it in favour of following others.

Microsoft smart watch is an oxymoron. I love the discussion of rumours upon rumours. Nothing's been announced.

IF MS do produce a watch I can imagine it would be the ugly sister, arriving late to the ball, overweight, unlikely to do anything easily, be difficult to get running, but yelling how attractive and advanced it is while completely ignoring the reality of the beauties in the room. Some will call out but there are more beautiful ones that work better here. Steve Ballmer will yell back. We're Microsoft, we do it better, people love our products and we will sell gazilions of these. The MS crew won't say a word knowing dissent means dismissal so they'll clap and cheer like North Korean Generals as their leader makes more unbelievably bizarre statements.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
I wonder if that many people would want a watch again if it did more. So many just don't care anymore if all it does is time.

... Much like everything Microsoft does, this will of course run full desktop software including Word and Excel. :rolleyes:

Of course, it will be a full system!

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
Yes, but is apple's hot air, and every one -including you- is still paying attention.

Not really, I'm pretty much done with apple. Except for my personal laptop, I've switched away from Apple. They really aren't at the forefront of tech anymore.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Serious why do Apple fans have this obsession with the blue screen of death? I haven't encountered one on Windows for years.

On topic, I just can't see any of these smart watches really being any more than a niche market.

Just had one at work haha, but I totally agree with you! I'm sure it almost never happens in Windows 7/8.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto

It's great that you haven't encountered them. Everyone makes his personal experiences there. I can reproduce a blue screen on demand anytime you like. I just need play a random game on my gaming pc, open up a youtube video or actually any media player and I'll get a bluescreen. Every single time. As it's been going for a few weeks now I am at the edge of developing the same obsession...

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It's great that you haven't encountered them. Everyone makes his personal experiences there. I can reproduce a blue screen on demand anytime you like. I just need play a random game on my gaming pc, open up a youtube video or actually any media player and I'll get a bluescreen. Every single time. As it's been going for a few weeks now I am at the edge of developing the same obsession...

Then upgrade from XP?

>_>;

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I'm running Windows ME

"/s"

Seriously, though, the only time when I've seen a Windows 7/8 BSOD was related to bad drivers. It went away after they were updated. Even my brother-in-law doesn't get BSOD on his ~200 laptop (Christmas sale, I believe).

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
No, it has to do with portability and configuration.

Stability has to do with how crash prone is a system, not how you can change the hardware and boot up

if you change the hardware, and it crashes, that has nothing to do with stability?
well I guess this video has nothing to do with stability:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW7Rqwwth84

anyways, we're getting off topic. go on Twitter, search for Blue Screen of Death, and just look at how many Blue Screen of Deaths people are getting every single day. stable? nope.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
if you change the hardware, and it crashes, that has nothing to do with stability?
well I guess this video has nothing to do with stability:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW7Rqwwth84

anyways, we're getting off topic. go on Twitter, search for Blue Screen of Death, and just look at how many Blue Screen of Deaths people are getting every single day. stable? nope.

do you even use windows? any current bsod I have seen has been driver issues or corrupted install in need of reformat (due to malware etc..)

Dinh

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
Fail.
Get you ***** together MS and focus on Windows 8 on PC and tablet.
Concentrate on the watch after that.

Apple can do it, because they have their PC and Mobile OSes in good shape.
Not you MS.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Has zero to do with stability.

Again... that is a compatibility issue.
This will happen to ANY OS if you change out hardware without proper driver support being in place.

As for your BSOD comments... they are pretty much relegated to driver issues and to a lesser extent, configuration issue.

Guys talking about their "gaming rig" throwing a BSOD, blame it on Windows when 99% of the time it's an outdated driver or poorly configured/written app.
Those that brag about being able to create a BSOD on demand are the real gems. Anyone can make it happen. Wipe a key registry entry or nuke a driver... poof.. instant BSOD.
I can make a Mac kernel panic in 2 seconds flat. It's not rocket science.

But none of this has anything to do with stability.

A properly configured Win7/8 installation is just as stable as a properly configured OS X, Linux, AIX, etc installation.
All are easily breakable too.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011

Sounds like an issue with your specific system, not windows. Since you did mention gaming, I suppose you're correct that you don't have to worry about this particular issue on a mac ;)

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Has zero to do with stability.

Again... that is a compatibility issue.
This will happen to ANY OS if you change out hardware without proper driver support being in place.

As for your BSOD comments... they are pretty much relegated to driver issues and to a lesser extent, configuration issue.

Guys talking about their "gaming rig" throwing a BSOD, blame it on Windows when 99% of the time it's an outdated driver or poorly configured/written app.
Those that brag about being able to create a BSOD on demand are the real gems. Anyone can make it happen. Wipe a key registry entry or nuke a driver... poof.. instant BSOD.
I can make a Mac kernel panic in 2 seconds flat. It's not rocket science.

But none of this has anything to do with stability.

A properly configured Win7/8 installation is just as stable as a properly configured OS X, Linux, AIX, etc installation.
All are easily breakable too.

If the device is compatible with Windows 7, and in order to make it work is to format/reinstall Windows, then it's a stability issue, which I've encountered many times. If Windows crashes when you do X, Y, and Z, then it's a stability issue. What's so difficult?

You're trying to defend Microsoft by putting blame on third party drivers. But I'm not talking about Microsoft, I'm talking about stability in Windows in general which encompasses third party drivers. If you're blaming third party drivers for crashes, it still refers to the stability of Windows, especially when a driver is WHQL certified.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.