Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frankly

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2003
First of all I conclude the time when the program has fully opened and the indicator on word for example starts flashing which means it is ready for typing. I usually press a couple of letters to make sure they come up straightaway. There were no pauses when I did this. When Excel opened after 3 seconds I could click in each cell and type straightaway. I stop counting when the program has fully opened and I can start to use it straightaway. This is accurate and if you wish I will capture these facts on video to show to anyone that doesn't believe them. All you need to do is say and I will take some videos but I am disappointed you don't believe me as I wouldn't lie about something so irrelevant. The launch sequence in my opinion is just as normal as the one in any other app, fast for me.

1) I never said you were lying. I simply stated that I think each person posting might have a different idea of what constitutes a launch time and would therefore stop counting at different points in the launch sequence.

2) I would love to see a video of these 3 second launches, along with the specs of your machine.

I am running a 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo MBP 17" with 3GB of RAM and I am seeing TERRIBLE launch times.

Later,
Frank

James17

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
1) I never said you were lying. I simply stated that I think each person posting might have a different idea of what constitutes a launch time and would therefore stop counting at different points in the launch sequence.

2) I would love to see a video of these 3 second launches, along with the specs of your machine.

I am running a 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo MBP 17" with 3GB of RAM and I am seeing TERRIBLE launch times.

Later,
Frank

The specs are in my signature and as I live in the UK, it is nearly 11:30pm so I am off to bed. I will happily post the videos tomorrow on this thread.

DavidPelton

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
New 12.0.1 Updater and AutoUpdater available

Thank you all for your patience with the recent issues you have had with the Microsoft Office 12.0.1 update. Many of us here at the MacBU have been hard at work trying to resolve the issues you have reported to us.

We found an issue in our installation logic that, in some instances, prevents the installer from properly updating Entourage 2008. We have corrected the issue and released a new version of the installer that is available for download right now.

In addition, we’re pleased to announce that the Office 2008 12.0.1 Update is also available via AutoUpdate. Contrary to some reports, lack of availability through AutoUpdate was not due to an issue with our AutoUpdate service. Simply put, the vast majority of our users rely on AutoUpdate to download and install our updates, so the team spent additional time to ensure that the AutoUpdate experience for 12.0.1 is as safe and reliable as possible.

If your copy of Entourage 2008 was not updated, the best way to ensure that it’s updated properly is to use the Remove Office tool, which is included in the /Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Additional Tools folder. Remove Office does not remove any documents or personal settings you have saved.

After you run the Remove Office tool, reinstall Office 2008 from your original DVD, and then restart your computer. It’s important that you restart your computer before you install the 12.0.1 update, so don’t forget to do it.

After your computer restarts, use AutoUpdate to check for updates, and then download and install the 12.0.1 Update.

If you run into problems during installation of the update, try any of the following:

• Move the Microsoft Office 2008 folder back to the Applications folder on your startup drive
  • Change the Microsoft Office 2008 folder back to its original name
  • Restore any files or other items that were removed from the Microsoft Office 2008 folder
  • Do not run scripts or engage in processes that modify the applications in the Microsoft Office 2008 folder.
  • Any change to an Office 2008 application can prevent an upgrade for installing successfully

I hope this information is helpful. I will continue to check my Private Messages and this board for any reports of upgrade issues.

David Pelton
Microsoft MacBU

asian8feet

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
David -

Any thoughts on the issues we posted about Excel?

Thx,
Kevin

so far I have been running Excel with the 12.0.1 update and not having any Lock-up issues as of yet. I removed the Leopard Graphics Update 1.0, and so far so good.

Still testing however, but so far all day, I have not had an issue with my MBP locking up as before as a result of Excel.

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
I did the reinstall and now have 12.0.1.

All my alerts were finally working in Entourage, but a few days ago I stopped getting the pop-up w/ preview of the email. It is selected in prefs, but no longer pops up. I do get the sound, just no visual.

shov

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2006
Word 2008 is driving me crazy!
I'm trying to write up a paper and it is so unresponsive! It takes half a second to register typing, the cursor drags so I always end up clicking in the wrong place. If only my supervisor understood latex, so i could be done with it!
Yesterday it completely bogged down my computer as i was trying to send off a job application - and it wouldn't play nice with the application form (a word .doc file) so i had to attach the text separately.
It just feels completely bloated and unresponsive. it's as slow as office x was - and that was running through rosetta!

don't buy.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
Slow Startup Times

I'm having some of the same issues and I wish they would get resolved. I spent some quality time on the phone with Microsoft Support... Trying to resolve this issue and they assured me that this new update would fix it... Not so much!

I'm running a MBP 2.4GHz Penryn with 4GB RAM and the 7200RPM HD...

My startup times for Microsoft Word did not improve... I'm still seeing about 3 minutes before I'm able to "use" it... It starts fast, showing the splash screen, and then showing the blank document... But using it is a different story.

I have tried all the tricks of during off the fonts being displayed and the project manager, but that didn't work.

When I installed Microsoft Office, I only installed the few things that I use... Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and English. I didn't select anything else... Including fonts, messenger, or Entourage... Do you think that may have something to do with it?

jdonshik

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2006
Hollywood, FL
Executable issue

I haven't seen anyone's post on multiple forums regarding whether or not this has fixed the issue of every file being installed as an executable. Microsoft said they were aware and a patch would be issued, but I cannot tell whether or not 12.0.1 fixes this issue. I was holding off on installation until this bug is fixed too...

Jon

benzslrpee

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
i updated and everything works fine for me...maybe i got lucky or something. none of my friends have had any issues yet either.

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
So I'm trying to install this update, however I'm getting the "You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 Update on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume"

I have 08. I got the erroe. I re-installed 08. And I get the error again. And it's in my Applications folder like it should be. Does anyone have any idea of what I should do? This is really frustrating. :mad:

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
So I'm trying to install this update, however I'm getting the "You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 Update on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume"

I have 08. I got the erroe. I re-installed 08. And I get the error again. And it's in my Applications folder like it should be. Does anyone have any idea of what I should do? This is really frustrating. :mad:

Welcome to the world of Microsoft!

I think I reinstalled it, restarted my computer, repaired permissions, and made sure my updater was the latest version (They came out with a new auto updater right before releasing this update). Then I think I got mine to install correctly!

This update sped it up a little, but I'm still seeing 30 seconds or more for a complete and total launch in ALL Microsoft applications... I'm not impressed!

merc669

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
Southern MD, USA
Sorry to say that I have had little or no problems with MS Office 2008. Initial Start-Up times are between 10 to 16 sec for any one of the Apps (Word, Excel, Entourage). No problem with the Update,:apple: and I have been able for the first time (I also own Office 2004) connect properly with my Company Exchange Server. I am in no real rush as a lot of folks seem to be so no problem with start-up times or typing my trip reports & white papers. I suggest maybe running the free apps out there that cleans up your permissions, organizes, etc your hard-drive. I myself use "Onyx" and can be found online. This may help. So far all I can say on my machine it works very well.

Bill.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.