Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Open office has a lot of UI issues. Like most FOSS it has been designed by Geeks and for Geeks. It could be good, but it needs a lot of help.

----------

It really is a bit early to proclaim office is dead. If they were to go another couple of years without a real product on mobile devices people actually use they would start to hurt. As things stand now, they still have time to enter the market and keep their hold.

I found the UI of the current office to be unusable. Open Office is not all that great to use and iLife for iPad is great.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
iLife is the whole package :)

----------

You could be right though, can't even remover the name lol So sleepy waiting for invites to be sent out.

I thought iLife was just iMovie, iPhoto, and GarageBand?

But, yes, Pages on the iPad has the interface of an updated WordPad. >_>;

Remel

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2003
Western Australia
C'mon Apple

I'm not a Microsoft fan but I have to stop you right there. You are clearly misinformed if you think either product is anywhere close to what Office does.

There is still no alternative for macros in Excel, and a million other functions. Just because you don't do anything more than edit documents and sheets does not make your experience typical for the consumer.

It's about time that Apple seriously upgrades the iWork suite to give Office a run for it's money. Microsoft has kept the mac version of Office inferior to the Windows one for far too long, and we are still waiting for an iOS version. No doubt that will also be an inferior version to the Surface version.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It's about time that Apple seriously upgrades the iWork suite to give Office a run for it's money. Microsoft has kept the mac version of Office inferior to the Windows one for far too long, and we are still waiting for an iOS version. No doubt that will also be an inferior version to the Surface version.

I actually think Apple intends to keep iWork as a bare minimum solution. If you look at the history of Apple and Microsoft, they've rarely actually been competition. Microsoft sells an OS, Apple sells devices. That might change as Microsoft's focus changes, but so far they've been pretty good allies.

Notice how there have been 0 lawsuits against WP7/8 from Apple.

Remel

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2003
Western Australia
I actually think Apple intends to keep iWork as a bare minimum solution. If you look at the history of Apple and Microsoft, they've rarely actually been competition. Microsoft sells an OS, Apple sells devices. That might change as Microsoft's focus changes, but so far they've been pretty good allies.

Notice how there have been 0 lawsuits against WP7/8 from Apple.

That's a good point. It would be nice to at least see an upgraded version of iWork that continues to distils the most useful features of each program. An upgrade that puts just enough pressure on MS to improve their Mac office version further but not enough to annoy them to the point of significantly disrupting their relationship.

I guess it's a fine line to tread for Apple.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
That's a good point. It would be nice to at least see an upgraded version of iWork that continues to distils the most useful features of each program. An upgrade that puts just enough pressure on MS to improve their Mac office version further but not enough to annoy them to the point of significantly disrupting their relationship.

I guess it's a fine line to tread for Apple.

We'll see what the new iWork is like when Apple releases their upgrade (likely at their next event).

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
No it isn't. I have both the paid QO HD and the new "free" version. Both work locally and allow you to work locally on local documents. Heck, I have a Google Account and store 0 docs in Drive. All my QO docs are local to the iPad and will stay that way, even in the free version.

You can use Google Drive if you want but is definitely not required.
"Locally" isn't exactly the strong suit of a tablet. Most people want more access. Check the reviews since the new version came out.

----------

I think it's because of the .net framework.
How does that change the interface?

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Microsoft needs to break into separate companies. There is no way the Office division should have to wait for the hardware division before becoming established on the iOS platform. What a huge wasted opportunity.

Well, I don't know if they need separate companies, but they need an iOS division. Back in the 90s they had a separate Mac division (I think their office was in LA or SF?). Internet Explorer for Mac was a completely separate product – and quite superior to its Windows sibling. I don't think Bill Gates saw selling good products on the Mac as a competitive threat to Windows, but Ballmer seems to see everything as a threat; even his own underlings.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
iWork and Google Docs are not sufficient--feature wise--for a large corporation yet. In time they may be, but for the moment Office still has a stranglehold on that market.

I think the dividing line is who needs those MS Office features.

I bet the majority (>50%) will be perfectly suited to use iWorks and Google Docs.

----------

No it doesn't

Doesn't what?

The very fact PC sales are declining means less machines to install office on.

Whats replacing the PC?
iOS and Android, which coincidentally run iWorks and Google Docs.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
In other words, "Surface just isn't selling the way we had expected, so we are falling back on plan B, which is to sell Office to iPad owners, which will be much more profitable anyway because the installed user base is larger by an order of magnitude than it is for the Surface, and once the initial development costs are covered, it's all gravy..."

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Microsoft needs to break into separate companies. There is no way the Office division should have to wait for the hardware division before becoming established on the iOS platform. What a huge wasted opportunity.

Office Division isn't waiting for hardware division. Windows division is waiting for Office Division to catch up.

Everyone that uses W8 w/ a touchscreen has been waiting for Metro version of Office for awhile. Right now both 365 and 2013 boot off the W7 desktop instead of directly on the Startscreen like IE, Skydrive, etc. That leads to that whole W8 split personality accusation.

MS completing a Touch First interface and sticking Office on Metro validates the direction they took with W8.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
a Few years ago I bought a new MacBook Pro. It was to replace my Gateway Windows 7 machine. I was getting fed up with Windows and having issues with my iPhone, iPd and my then new iPad. I got a great deal on a 2011 MacBook Pro and bought it. I also bought a copy iWork as well. The company I work for offers Office on a HUP program so one of the first things I bought was MS Office for Mac. After all I had it on the PC and we used it at work. I found iWork to be much easier than Office, but I still needed Office to do work stuff.

Now as time progressed and I became more into the Apple ecosystem, I bought the iWork for iOS apps the moment they came out and overtime moved on to an iPad 4 and iPad mini as well, and lastly the iPhone 5. Over the years I have found myself using Office less and less and turning to Numbers and Pages more and more.

When Microsoft released the Office for iPhone app, I was happy, got it and even subscribed to Office 365. All that really did was put the latest version of Office on my Windows laptop. I have also noticed that even though I am now paying $10 a month I am really not using Office at all anymore as well. With this recent news that an iOS or even a new Mac version won't even be out for almost a year or so I doubt I will continue to waste $10 a month on Office. Maybe when Microsoft wakes up and smells the coffee maybe I will "try" Office again. I will probably be cancelling Office soon.

As for those work documents, I am doing just fine using Word at work, they are still on Windows XP and Office 2007 despite being a multi-billion dollar company. I can create documents at work send them to my email, and reopne them using Pages and send them back and all works well.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I think the dividing line is who needs those MS Office features.

I bet the majority (>50%) will be perfectly suited to use iWorks and Google Docs.

----------

Doesn't what?

The very fact PC sales are declining means less machines to install office on.

Whats replacing the PC?
iOS and Android, which coincidentally run iWorks and Google Docs.

DECLINING PC SALES.

Of course, that ignores the fact that even declining they sold over 300 million last year.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Your point makes a lot of sense and I do understand what you are saying. But I'm not sure consumers will agree in masses...

Back in the late 70's /early 80's (When I was moving between a C64, TRS-80, Atari 800, Apple II, Amiga, etc) it was obvious that the IBM PC would become the "Standard" in corporate computing. My little group of users (We called ourselves the "Pittsburgh Pirates" :) ) would meet once a week and dwell on stuff like this!. Since the IBM PC (and clones) were Corporate's world choice of PC, we wondered what machine would emerge as the Industry Standard "Home" consumer computer.... (I myself thought that the Amiga might become the "Consumer Industry Standard Computer")..

At the end of the day (as prices dropped and PC's were equipped with better video and sound cards) the PC also took over the consumer market as well.. Of course by the late 80's the Mac joined my PC in my home office as well and the 2 still sit side by side to this day...

I think we may see something similar in software as well. Why have something different on your home machine as you use all day at work? There are Non-Standard Project Management cheapo packages out there, but I use Primavera P6 at my job and it only makes sense to use on my home machines as well - - same goes for Excel....

I will grant you this, for folks who have a job where they don't use a computer daily, some of these non-standard consumer packages may be a viable option. I don't have a problem with any of them other than I can't risk a document not opening correctly on a clients machine...

Peace.

Aw man! I had the C64 and C128 back in the day and it was awesome! BBSes, Phreaking Long Distance, 300 Baud Modems, Hacking Groups like FBI. I remember games like Bard's Tale, Druid, and Mission Impossible. Those were the days. I really thought the Amiga would take off because the graphics were ahead of it's time. Ah well, thanks for the trip down memory lane! :)

Bibbler

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
The Mon Valley!
Aw man! I had the C64 and C128 back in the day and it was awesome! BBSes, Phreaking Long Distance, 300 Baud Modems, Hacking Groups like FBI. I remember games like Bard's Tale, Druid, and Mission Impossible. Those were the days. I really thought the Amiga would take off because the graphics were ahead of it's time. Ah well, thanks for the trip down memory lane! :)

I ran one of the 1st BBS's in our area in the early 80's. The initial setup was just a C-64, 300 Baud Modem, and a 1541. I got up to 1200 Baud and 4 1541's!!!

At the end (in the early/mid 90's) I ran C-Net BBS on an Amiga, an 85 Meg HDD, and 4 Phone lines in (at 56K) plus a telnet line. Of course we had FIDO email (which I was a node for) !!!

Nice talking to someone who remembers the good old days :)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
.... and we're STILL looking at

.... with any luck it will be in an infinite loop.

If even released in this century though, i often wonder weather it will be BETTER than the one on Mac in terms of performance....

Say goodby to your battery life.

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I thought iLife was just iMovie, iPhoto, and GarageBand?

But, yes, Pages on the iPad has the interface of an updated WordPad. >_>;

Correct, iLife was the original "Lifestyle" suite that was included with all new Macs and sold separately as well. At it's peak it included, iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto, iWeb, and iTunes. iWork is the separate "Productivity" suite, which never was bundled or included with anything. Now most of the apps sell on their own, the "suites" are no longer around really.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
Looking forward to this. Pages was a waste of time. I hope Word is an improvment.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
I'm not a Microsoft fan but I have to stop you right there. You are clearly misinformed if you think either product is anywhere close to what Office does.

There is still no alternative for macros in Excel, and a million other functions. Just because you don't do anything more than edit documents and sheets does not make your experience typical for the consumer.

I actually do a lot of work in excel developing Engineering Calculation Spreadsheets in which macros are fantastic, however my comment was clearly defined at the consumer market.

Whilst I agree that the enterprise side software needs to be more 'pro' i.e macros and such, I'll never sit with a MS surface, iPad or any other tablet, be it 7.9, 9.7, 13 (rumoured) to develop a macro spreadsheet - I'd have a laptop connected to dual monitors.

Whilst tablets being a fantastic devices at this moment in time they do not replace a Macbook Pro for development (or any device with a keyboard), it is however great to use as a remote reference tool.

Your falling into the typical MS and Samsung methodology of the software has to include everything, no matter what throw it in. Simple fact is MS could have launched a version of office to fit 99.9% of the consumer market that don't use macros 3 years ago. Then launched a "pro" version to include macros when and if there was a market.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Your falling into the typical MS and Samsung methodology of the software has to include everything, no matter what throw it in. Simple fact is MS could have launched a version of office to fit 99.9% of the consumer market that don't use macros 3 years ago. Then launched a "pro" version to include macros when and if there was a market.

That i agree with.Excel does get confusing with too many otpions for the average consumer, and Office is a good product to split in two lines (instead of Windows splitting in two lines)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.