Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
No, I think you're nuts, but not absolutely nuts! You're paying too much!

I got my first year for free at a local MS Store (the "Bring in your iPad" offer last year), and this is the deal I'll be getting...

The price on Amazon fluctuates a lot. I picked up mine for $60 a couple of months ago.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
The price on Amazon fluctuates a lot. I picked up mine for $60 a couple of months ago.
My friend used my "other" method. Buy one of the cheap Windows tablets ($50 or so, on sale) that includes a 1-year subscription of "Personal" O365, then sells the tablet. Then, upgrade the "Personal" version to the "Home" version for $9.99 on MS's website - hard to top this one!

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
i can't help feeling sorry for people who need features that are not in the iWork apps and therefore need Microsoft still.
7 bucks a month is a steep price to pay for the rest of your lives.

Unfortunately there's not a lot of choice out there. MS Office is still the defacto standard for most businesses. The iWork apps are woeful by comparison. At least we get to use the Office apps on iPhone and iPad as part of the Office 365 subscription.

I don't know why Apple don't make a Pro version of the iWork apps to compete with Office. I'm sure it would sell.

Reactions: jpn and mr.bee

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
You really have no idea what indentured servitude means.
I would advise you to refrain from using those words until you do,
sparing you any further embarrassment

And you have no understanding of the word "sarcasm".

For me personally renting software forever to continue to use it is a complete ripoff. Same as it is for numerous Mac users who might shell out $90 for a new version that will remain useable for 4-5 years but don't use it enough to justify paying monkeysoft $420 over that same period of time.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

risercn

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2015
Well, Office 365 subscription isn't that expensive in China.

Got it from a legal reseller on tmall (alibaba's B2C) for 50 rmb per year (home premium for 5 people), which is 8 USD per YEAR. That's the normal price for it there, not some kind of special promotion. And hundreds of thousands people have bought it from different resellers.

And of course, I can still use it in United States.

Last edited:

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Unfortunately there's not a lot of choice out there. MS Office is still the defacto standard for most businesses. The iWork apps are woeful by comparison. At least we get to use the Office apps on iPhone and iPad as part of the Office 365 subscription.

I don't know why Apple don't make a Pro version of the iWork apps to compete with Office. I'm sure it would sell.

MSFT next step is OS subscription. You will always be on the latest version of Windows for the low low price of 9.95 per month.

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium

So true! Office is the dominant player since the 90's, people are begging for some pro alternatives!

Pages is manageable, the most important feature it lacks, is turning one page landscape while the others remain portrait. can't possibly imagine why it's not there

keynote is more then enough for me, so that's good.

Excel is my biggest concern, numbers is a shame next to it. numbers is pretty if all you have to do is make a sum and make an invoice.

Bigmacduck

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2009
Why on earth does Microsoft not allow to work with local files in OneNote? No way that I will ever store my notes in a OneDrive cloud where I am not in control of the encryption. Especially not as long as whole OneNote notebooks cannot be encrypted.

On the Windows PC, I am using local files and sync them with the other devices with secure encrypted cloud store Wuala and Tresorit. I cannot use this method on the Mac because the OneNote for Mac application cannot work with local files.

So as a workaround, I am still using Outline for Mac, which is compatible with OneNote.

Reactions: Eidorian

fluida

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2015
World
It is good to see the new release. However, the overall feel of Office 2016 is not pleasant: scrolling is annoyingly sticky, the ribbon wobbles when you go through tabs...
There's always hope that next update would cure such annoyances, which is unforgivable for mega corporation that spent so many years on this.

PontaVedra

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2015
Microsoft has completely stripped Office for Mac of any ability to customize. Even the quick access toolbar—a feature created solely for customization—is not customizable on the Mac version. As someone who depends upon easy access to shortcuts and specialized features, this is a deal-breaker. You can't even set custom keyboard shortcuts anymore, and since many menu items have been killed off because they're in the ribbon, you can't even set them in the Mac System Preferences.

It's as if Microsoft set about to intentionally kill any possible convenience in using the apps, save for their ribbon. Don't get me wrong, I like the ribbon, but to take away ALL customization is the stupidest thing I can imagine for these apps. But hey, now the selected cell border is annoyingly and meaninglessly animated—in a way you can't turn off—so, woohoo.

In short, par for the course for Microsoft.

jruschme

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Brick, NJ
My friend used my "other" method. Buy one of the cheap Windows tablets ($50 or so, on sale) that includes a 1-year subscription of "Personal" O365, then sells the tablet. Then, upgrade the "Personal" version to the "Home" version for $9.99 on MS's website - hard to top this one!

I'll do you one better. The university I graduated from offers a free alumni email forwarding service, basically you get an address like Firstname.Lastname@alumni.XXX.edu which is forwarded to up to 3 email accounts. On a whim, I signed up for Office 365 for students using that address, got a confirmation email and am now running Office 2016 on my Mac for free.

Reactions: campyguy

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
It's as if Microsoft set about to intentionally kill any possible convenience in using the apps, save for their ribbon. Don't get me wrong, I like the ribbon, but to take away ALL customization is the stupidest thing I can imagine for these apps. But hey, now the selected cell border is annoyingly and meaninglessly animated—in a way you can't turn off—so, woohoo.
Funny thing is: you can do both under Windows. The ribbon is customisable there and the animations can be switched off (the latter not officially, though, but still).

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
I'm in the same boat. Been holding off since the beginning of the year already (since I currently have Office for Mac 2011). Just checked the site, and it still has the old version. Somewhere under the FAQ section, it said if you buy Mac 2011, you'll have to pay again for the new (2016) version...

I'm hoping it gets updated soon – and that we don't have to wait until September, for the non-Office365 release.
I just deactivated my 2011 and clicked install again (1 of 5) and it was the new 2016. It replaces 2011 on my computer at the same time.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand

I've always harboured the conspiracy that Microsoft and Apple must have come to some sort of gentleman's agreement not to encroach on each others territory which would explain why iWork is as bare basic as it is for the low end then leaving Microsoft to scoop up the medium to high end for those power users who want something more than basic productivity. That being said I think it has come to the point where Microsoft Office for Mac has become a really bad joke - features missing that are present in the Windows version and the never ending laundry list of excuses by Microsoft about why they can't deliver.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
So far so good. I used word and PowerPoint a couple of times since downloading it. I've had no problems so far on my 2015 mbp.

Hopefully it stays this way.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
What is hilarious about it? Apple does not charge me a subscription fee to use their software, I just pay a little more for the hardware.

Well to be fair the subscription isn't just office. You also get 1tb of one drive space and you can share office and one drive with other people. 10 bucks a month isn't that much if you look at how much you are getting.

xqz5199

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2015
This is an interesting development for Mac users. I think most of the mac users will be happy about the news. The features of the software are amazing. I wait to see how the new Yosemite-style design will work on the mac and the convenience that it will bring to the user, especially with the new features such as Retina displays and full-screen users.

haudvereor

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2015
Microsoft and Adobe have a few things in common with this and I agree this indentured servitude is not good.

Geordiekeith

macrumors member
May 12, 2006
Pretty buggy dealing with word docs with lots of comments and tracked changed. Had to revert to 2011.
Installed the new version and tried to use Word to edit a fairly simple Table (8 rows, 4 columns) with some reviewer comments in it. Crashed twice. Opened table in Word 2011, edited and saved it no problem.

Still work to do...

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Nobody in their right mind would pay for a subscription for this when Google Docs is free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.