Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
MONTHLY yes, unless I missed a very special offer.
In that case, please link me immediately.
HUP has always been a one-off and it doesn't seem that this is any exception.

I have an even bigger news: iWork is free for both home & business use with great time machine feature (can go back to any previous saved version) since 2 years ago
While iWork upgrades are free, you still need to buy it (either standalone or bundled with hardware) in the first place.

Reactions: Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
HUP has always been a one-off and it doesn't seem that this is any exception.

While iWork upgrades are free, you still need to buy it (either standalone or bundled with hardware) in the first place.
Interesting program indeed, unfortunately not everyone is applicable.

But sounds like a great option indeed, at least on first sight, didn't read details just now.

Glassed Silver:ios

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
I understand bugs with a new OS but this is just ridiculous.
I have this image of the Office software team composed of teenagers, the same type that work at your local fast food restaurant and don't give a damn. :D

orioncrystalice

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
I'd just like to be able to normally open my Publisher documents on the new Word, and stop having two versions on my Mac, as a subscriber..too much to ask

KMMDC

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2015
people that are on capital and update 2011 please report back and let us know if this solves the issue!
I've updated and it appears to be working. Synced and downloaded all of the emails I've missed since Thursday. No hang ups. No beach ball of death.

SupersonicFX

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2015
Repentigny
people that are on capital and update 2011 please report back and let us know if this solves the issue!
MacBook Pro late 2011 (non-Retina), OSX El Capitan, Office for MAC 2011

All Office applications but Outlook 2011 have been working fine since OSX El Capitan update.

Outlook for MAC 2011 has been freezing and has been problematic for me professionally as I use my MacBook Pro for work. Imagine reading and sending all your work emails on your iPhone for like a week...

Was REALLY anxious to install Microsoft's latest Office update so I installed it late last night.

Survey says: Outlook behaves the same way:(

Microsoft is so ridiculous (and has been for years), I don't even know where to begin.

If I could, I'd switch to another Suite in a wink. Since Microsoft's Office Suite is a standard everywhere, they have us by the balls... Again.

gfellmer

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2015

Microsoft today released an update for Microsoft Office for Mac 2011, which fixes a significant Outlook bug that Office users ran into after upgrading to OS X El Capitan. After installing the new Apple operating system, many Outlook 2011 users found themselves unable to access their mail due to a syncing issue that caused the app to hang whenever it attempted to access the server.

Users were seeing a spinning Wait cursor whenever a sync was attempted and Outlook would become unresponsive, making it impossible to fetch new emails. The new 14.5.6 update should fix this problem for Outlook users who have installed OS X El Capitan and is a much better fix than Microsoft's previous workaround, which simply suggested users run OS X Yosemite.

office_mac_2011_boxes-500x318.jpg

Though Microsoft has fixed one major bug OS X El Capitan users are running into, there are still problems with Office 2016. Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint 2016 are crashing for many users, preventing them from being used with OS X El Capitan.

Microsoft has said that it is working on a fix for Office 2016, but it has not given a timeline for when users can expect the issues to be solved.

Article Link: Microsoft Releases Office for Mac 2011 Update to Fix Outlook El Capitan Bug

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Sorry for unrelated question, but after updating the mac office...it appears that whenever i open word app, the format appears on left side of the screen. Is there anyway to set default so that whenever i open the file/app, it would appear in the middle rather than having the document appear on the left side screen?

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015

All Office applications but Outlook 2011 have been working fine since OSX El Capitan update.

Outlook for MAC 2011 has been freezing and has been problematic for me professionally as I use my MacBook Pro for work. Imagine reading and sending all your work emails on your iPhone for like a week...

Was REALLY anxious to install Microsoft's latest Office update so I installed it late last night.

Survey says: Outlook behaves the same way:(

Microsoft is so ridiculous (and has been for years), I don't even know where to begin.

If I could, I'd switch to another Suite in a wink. Since Microsoft's Office Suite is a standard everywhere, they have us by the balls... Again.
I have mac pro and mbp 2011 late...and it worked for me...maybe use disk utility and first aid or something.

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
Fixing the five year old software before you fix the current software? Well, that's just genius. :confused:
They had to choose between "Don't fix it and get bashed for not supporting software you've paid for" and "Fix it and get bashed for fixing it".

Glad they choosed the latter.

bubbahotep

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2015
Fixing the five year old software before you fix the current software? Well, that's just genius. :confused:

It gets better! When you open Outlook 2011 for Mac and ask it to check for updates, it says there is no update available. So the only way I've seen to get it is through Mac Rumors or direct from Microsoft. Either way, some genius forgot to make it the update that the programs checks for. Amazing.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It gets better! When you open Outlook 2011 for Mac and ask it to check for updates, it says there is no update available. So the only way I've seen to get it is through Mac Rumors or direct from Microsoft. Either way, some genius forgot to make it the update that the programs checks for. Amazing.
Checking for it, getting it, and installing it worked fine on two different computers here.

arvyapple62

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2015
I shifted from Windows to Mac when I bought my first ever macbook towards in 2013 which came with Mavericks. Recently I was using my 4G LTE on it and it was working very fine.

One fine day I upgraded to El Capitan and things looked better and fine until I plugged in my 4G LTE data card and since then its just not showing any signal and its not usable now. I tried with windows laptop and it works there, I tried the SIM on my android phone and to worked fine. So I can say that the upgrade to EI Capitan is not letting the 4G LTE SIM work.

Now I cannot use it anymore and while traveling for official work I feel I will be stranded. Can anyone help in this case please...

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
I shifted from Windows to Mac when I bought my first ever macbook towards in 2013 which came with Mavericks. Recently I was using my 4G LTE on it and it was working very fine.

One fine day I upgraded to El Capitan and things looked better and fine until I plugged in my 4G LTE data card and since then its just not showing any signal and its not usable now. I tried with windows laptop and it works there, I tried the SIM on my android phone and to worked fine. So I can say that the upgrade to EI Capitan is not letting the 4G LTE SIM work.

Now I cannot use it anymore and while traveling for official work I feel I will be stranded. Can anyone help in this case please...
Just change Data cards, or change back to yosemite. You will need to backup and reinstall. I recommend making a Carbon copy clone in addition to your time machine just in case.

imom

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
The Office 2016 update was just released! Fingers crossed it will all work now.

SupersonicFX

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2015
Repentigny

As mentionned before, I installed update 14.5.6 for Outlook for Mac 2011 and it didn't work.

Well, I have good news.

Just opened Outlook for Mac 2011 and promptly checked the "work offline" option so that it doesn't freeze. I then asked Outlook to check for updates and it found 14.5.7.

I installed it and it works!!!

Eureka!

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
From Microsoft's Blog:-

"This update doesn’t address the issues experienced by Office customers with OS X 10.11 El Capitan. We are actively working with Apple to ensure resolution with the next update of OS X 10.11 El Capitan." So if you have EC you should have stuck with Office 2011 like I have as it runs a lot faster and smoother and takes less space as well.

roobystern

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2015

Am I on the only person experiencing problems with Word 2011 on El Capitan? Little things, like:
- I can't double click on a word or triple click to select a paragraph
- In the "Save As" window, there are no buttons to select for "save" or "cancel"

Any rumors about Microsoft planning fixes for this? As a writer, little glitches like these trip up my work constantly!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.