Microsoft Releases Windows 8 Tablet Ad Highlighting iPad's Flaws, High Price [Updated]

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 22, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As noted by The Verge, Microsoft has released a new Windows 8 tablet ad that uses Siri to highlight a few of the iPad's shortcomings, depicting the ASUS VivoTab Smart tablet as a robust productivity machine while implying that the iPad is more suited to entertainment.

In the ad, which is entitled "Less Talking, More Doing," an iPad is depicted next to the aforementioned VivoTab Smart, showing off the system's multitasking capabilities and its built-in office apps. A Siri voiceover points out that the iPad does not support multiple windows at once and does not offer Microsoft Office apps. "I'm sorry, I can only do one thing at a time," Siri laments. "I guess PowerPoint isn't one of those things."

Article Link: Microsoft Releases Windows 8 Tablet Ad Highlighting iPad's Flaws, High Price [Updated]

2. macrumors regular

3. macrumors member

Only 3000 Windows app? Mmmk. The VivoTab Smart is Full Windows 8, not RT.

Owned(autocorrected)

4. macrumors 65816

This is now one of my favourite anti-apple adverts.

Just made me smile for some reason!

5. macrumors 68030

needfx

6. macrumors regular

Boasting that there is no Powerpoint for iPad just makes me think Microsoft have been too lazy or protective to just get on and produce it. Chopsticks part is a nice dig though.

7. macrumors newbie

Surface Pro w/ keyboard = $1100
    iPad w/ cover = $550

:confused:

8. macrumors 6502a

great ad, great points.

The biggest blind spot in Apples iOS approach is that its all about simple consumption and limits the true productive flexibility of legacy computers.
    This ad makes that point, and well.

9. macrumors member

pezj

10. macrumors regular

Macrolido

Windows 8 looks good on the tablet, just saying...

11. macrumors 6502

That was clever. Doesn't make me want a Windows tablet but the chopsticks at the end made me laugh.

Somewhere out there, PC Guy is doing a mental high-five.

12. macrumors regular

Funny ad but it makes me want a windows 8 tablet even less!! The last thing I could possibly wanna do on a tablet is work on Microsoft office apps lol
    They make the iPad look like the funner tablet while windows 8 is more for work than play.

13. macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

Regardless, you can still run desktop applications on the tablet which ends up being waaaaay more than 300,000. Yes, you can still do it on Windows RT.

14. macrumors 6502a

To any one of our many geeks here: Can I throw Windows away and install Ubuntu instead?

15. macrumors regular

Pretty good ad, but the product is terrible. For one thing, you don't get anywhere near 64GB on it, only 30GB.

Apple should actually give the iPad and iPad mini visual multitasking, not just background apps. They got it right and didn't make a PC then call it a tablet like MS did, but it could use a little more power.

16. macrumors 68020

jayducharme

I wonder how well it operates, with a low power dual-core Atom processor. Also, the ad is a bit deceptive claiming the iPad lacks PowerPoint. The Asus doesn't have it either. You can get compatible presentation software for the iPad for not much money. But for the Asus, you'd have to buy the MS Office Suite. And for any real "productivity" you'd have to add a Bluetooth keyboard. So that would bring the tablet's actual price up a bit more.

17. macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

The thing that always irks me when I watch ads that attack Apple is they always go for price.

They like to rub in the overused idea that Apple products are always more expensive by, in this case, using one of the highest spec-ed options and saying, "Look how expensive the iPad is," when it's actually a very reasonably priced tablet.

Funny, yes. But still kinda skewed. But I guess that's advertising.

18. macrumors 68000

I thought the Ad was pretty funny. Personally I've used a Surface RT before and I felt it was a pretty good device, especially when it comes to multi-tasking..

But I still prefer Nexus line of Android Tablets or even the Samsung Galaxy Tab (with cyanogenmod). I'm no longer a fan of iOS, but as always, my opinions may change with iOS7..

19. macrumors member

hauntvictim

Loved the add... But this is true

20. macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

300,000 flashlight apps and farming games

go iPad!

21. macrumors regular

The Surface Pro isn't what you'd compare to the iPad. That thing is a laptop with a touch screen, essentially. They compare the iPad to the regular Surface in the ad like it should be.

22. macrumors 6502

Stevamundo

23. macrumors 6502

Having owned both the windows 8 tablet just gets in the way. Ill stick to my laptop thank you

iPad for the stuff I want to do on the fly

The MS tablet does neither well

24. macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

yeah and it comes with Pages, AKA 10 dollar Wordpad

25. macrumors regular

Forget that. It's deceptive in its claim that the Surface gets 64GB. Apple does some deceiving too (formatted capacity less, OS takes up space, 1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes), but the Surface is just ridiculous. The OS by itself takes up 30GB!!! WTF?!

----------

Have you ever used Pages? If you were going to bash iWork, it would make sense to bash Numbers. I switched to iWork in 2008 and have been using Pages happily after that, but I have to use Excel a lot because Numbers sucks.