Microsoft Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by arn, Feb 2, 2003.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this under OS X ?

Microsoft's Remote Desktop lets you have a virtual desktop of a Windows XP Pro computer. (or Win 2000, I think).

arn

2. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Oh, man, I didn't even know this existed! I'll download this and set my PC up with Terminal Services. I've been using VNC, and I'm sure this is much better. I know connecting from one Windows machine to another, I've used Terminal Services even over a 56K line and it worked surprisingly well. I don't know how well it would work on another platform, though - I'm sure on Windows, the Terminal Services client is leveraging some low-level Windows APIs.

3. cubist macrumors 68020

Whoa - you mean there's a client available for the Mac? Link please.

4. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

it works great. no different than the other remote desktop clients. in fact at times i feel its a better product because its not so tied into the infrastructure of the OS. when i still had my PC i used it all the time when i had to fix it or something.

5. jaykk macrumors 6502a

RDC works great

RDC is really neat. I connect to Win2000 Server at work without any problem. I recently installed winxp pro in my old Gateway PII Laptop, and it just works. Its much better than connecting via VNC ( Chicken of VNC for example)

6. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

for those of you who are like i am and prefer to have a microsoft-free computer, you can install rdesktop which is an x11 app to access terminal services. it's available through fink or at http://macosx.forked.net

7. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i wish apple would make their remote desktop free and a lot easier to use, like microsoft's

8. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I have had great experience with the RDP client for Mac OS X. I frequently use it to contact my home Windows machine from my Powerbook at work. It works great until I start an intensive network operation on the home machine. :)

9. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Let me know if it works better than VNC.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/rdc/default.asp

10. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Heh, you're like a reverse commuter. I would think most people use RDP at home to connect to their work PCs.