Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Microsoft have a history of making goofy videos like this. They've done it for years.

It's quite refreshing, that they feel confident enough to have a laugh at their own expense. Many companies wouldn't be brave enough.

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
i quite enjoy these microsoft videos...they just help me prove my point that apple is a bit more...hip?

Songsmith is not a garageband mimic but I dont like the idea.

"its microsoft huh? So that means its easy to use" Even PC users laugh at that.

and why didnt they just grab a dell, instead of use a MBP!

peterja

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2008
When Steve said Microsoft had absolutely no taste and put no culture into their products, obviously this product changed all that ;)

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
One word....cheesy...

And too bad it's Limburger. Wow.

I happen to have a Casio MT-260 from the late 80s, which has been relegated to plaything status for my daughter. It's not even General MIDI, and it sounds better than that.

The big problem I see with this software is related to pitch detection. It may be able to determine an appropriate chord progression with someone who sings well and has good pitch. But for those who are completely tone-deaf, which would comprise much of the intended audience for this product, the results will most likely suck.

GarageBand, it's not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.