Microsoft Surface Pro Hacked to Run OS X...Maybe

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 19, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pureinfotech links (via Neowin) to a YouTube video claiming to show a 'Hackintosh' Surface Pro running OS X Mountain Lion. The new Surface Pro tablet, which runs full Windows 8, launched earlier this month starting at $899.

Comments on the YouTube video are largely skeptical, suggesting that it's simply a remote desktop connection to a Mac. However, there's no technical reason why a Surface Pro shouldn't be able to run a hacked version of OS X, and Neowin notes that Wi-Fi reportedly is not working on the machine. One of the main challenges with Hackintosh installations tends to be with drivers for functions like Wi-Fi, so its absence may lend some support to the legitimacy of the claim.

Article Link: Microsoft Surface Pro Hacked to Run OS X...Maybe

2. macrumors 604

Cool that someone pulled it off but I don't really see the practical appeal when you compare it with say a Macbook Air, in terms of price, battery life, etc.

3. macrumors 6502a

chainprayer

4. macrumors 6502

If a computer is x86 and fairly modern it has a good chance of running OS X. This shouldn't be a surprise. Methods for running OS X have become simpler as time goes on. EFI emulation , DSDT's and decrypters such as fakesmc.kext make it less painful now compared to the Tiger days.

5. macrumors 65816

aarond12

Wow! Finally a reason to buy a Microsoft Surface! :D

6. macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

I hope this is real, i can have the Hardware i want with the OS i want.

Apple, take a note, THIS is what the iPad Air could have been.

----------

If a macbook air had a touchscreen, and detachable keyboard/cover you'd be right.

7. macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

it does run a bit lag imo. could be using remote connection, but really whats the point in using this as OS X machine if it doesn't run smooth. and no wifi driver.

8. macrumors 6502a

Does OSX even support a touchscreen? How did he make that work?

9. macrumors 6502a

MS Office on iPad is news. Not Apple guy bricks surface... :rolleyes:

10. macrumors 65816

Nunyabinez

No real advantage here because OSX is not a touch aware OS. I have a Hackintosh that I use at home and it works great, but I have had to do some kludgy things to make it work. Like a Creative USB external sound card, and I just finally found a good wi-fi card for it.

If and when Apple moves to touch as part of OSX, the surface might be interesting, but as it is now, who would want a Surface with OSX? A MBA would be a much better choice.

11. macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

There is, however a technical reason why it can't be done at the moment.

It has a secured bootloader that hasn't been cracked. ONLY Windows 8 is permitted to boot. There hasn't been a crack yet to the bootloader, so this is physically impossible!

Faker than fake.
    (MAYBE it's OS X server running in a VM? totally possible. VMWare allows OSX server [not regular OS X] to be installed in a VM.)

12. macrumors 65816

Nunyabinez

I posted before watching the video and I call complete BS. Since he is touching the screen there has to be some intermediary software turning the touch into something that OSX understands. You could not just install OSX on a device with touch and have anything happen unless you had drivers (Kext files) for that device to turn it into the equivalent of mouse events. This is almost certainly a remote desktop pretending to be a hackintosh.

13. macrumors 6502

decimortis

The Apple logo on the bezel looks all blocky and stuff.

14. macrumors 6502a

15. macrumors member

Its called Clover... know what you are talking about before posting. Thank you.

16. macrumors 603

blueroom

I'd rather have a MacBook Air than a Frankenputer that sort of runs OSX.

17. macrumors member

Apple does have a generic touch driver in Mac OS X. If this is legit then I would assume that that would be the driver in use.

18. macrumors 68000

aristotle

Are you out of your ever loving mind? That hardware has abysmal battery life and you cannot even use it with the keyboards in your "lap". It is a portable desktop as it requires a desktop in order to operate with a keyboard.
    :rolleyes:

19. macrumors 6502

I'm sure Apple is taking notes right now thanks to your comment, lol.

20. macrumors 603

notjustjay

OS X is not a touch aware OS, no, but it is gesture aware, and if you look at features like Mission Control and Launchpad, you can't help but wonder if the next step will be to integrate touch.

I was really impressed with Surface when I had a look at it a while back. But, I think there are still issues. It is clearly not meant to be a touch-screen only interface; if you were to buy a Surface tablet without either the Touch Cover or the Type Cover, you're going to have a very hard time. To me, for regular apps, touching the screen can be a great, tactile, natural input method, but it must augment the keyboard/mouse/trackpad, not replace it. You're not going to get far using Photoshop or Excel using only the touch screen.

21. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Not so for the Surface Pro:

http://www.zdnet.com/why-did-micros...nd-other-pesky-questions-answered-7000010935/

B

22. macrumors 603

blueroom

23. macrumors member

Neither, UEFI BIOS.

24. macrumors 6502a

Casiotone

I'm really surprised that this is the case. ;)

25. macrumors 603

If they do manage to make ML run flawlessly on the SP, I purchase one immediately.