Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
Microsoft keeps doing this in their commercials... When are they going to realize that Macs are less of a thread to them than the Chromebooks?

Really? I know is this anecdotal (horrible word to spell---who came up with it?), but I see way more Macbooks out there in coffee shops than Chromebooks. Most teens I know dream of having a Mac something, not a Chromebook. I don't think it's unwise to target that market. It's certainly a real..uh thread to MS.

zzLZHzz

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
The only advantage that Surface Book has is the touchscreen, but I not sure if I would need a touchscreen in a laptop mode. sure, touchscreen is great for tablet mode but not so much for laptop mode. my arm just ache while using it.

i would like to have some iOS app on OS X.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Maybe. Personally I’d rather have the option.
I don’t necessarily have a big family or hit the trails but it might not stop me buying an SUV that has qualities abilities that I’d never need or use.

I guess that's a personal choice or even a personality variation then. Personally I sort of agree, I too would want an SUV even though I will almost never take it off a paved road and I don't have a big family. However, that choice is influenced by other aspects of the car (comfort and trunk size primarily). If an SUV was no more comfortable or had no larger trunk than a sedan, I would probably not buy an SUV. Similarly though, the other than the touch-screen and detachability aspect of the Surface line, it's not much different than a Macbook.

Also cars are sort of an exception, that aspect of car-buying has been studied before, and it seems the conclusion was that cars are unique in this regard. I think the majority of the population doesn't view computer buying that same way.

People tend to pick cars that will cover 99% of their use cases, even though they can save a ton of money if they were to buy a car that covered just 90% of their use cases. But people don't buy anything else like this: For example, people don't buy giant industrial-size dishwashers because they plan on hosting a big thanksgiving dinner every other year, where the rest of the time it's a small family of four using it. There are plenty of other examples of this - people tend to buy only what they need the majority of the time. The biggest exception is cars though.

I'm not sure if people buy laptops more like cars, or more like everything else. I bet it's the latter.

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Really? I know is this anecdotal (horrible word to spell---who came up with it?), but I see way more Macbooks out there in coffee shops than Chromebooks. Most teens I know dream of having a Mac something, not a Chromebook. I don't think it's unwise to target that market. It's certainly a real..uh thread to MS.

When I read chipchen's comment I replace "thread" with "path". It appears that you are replacing "thread" with "threat".

Based on context I think he was trying to say that someone isn't likely to migrate from a Mac to a Surface but someone might be convinced to migrate from a Chromebook to a Surface.

Reactions: redscull

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I guess that's a personal choice or even a personality variation then. Personally I sort of agree, I too would want an SUV even though I will almost never take it off a paved road and I don't have a big family. However, that choice is influenced by other aspects of the car (comfort and trunk size primarily). If an SUV was no more comfortable or had no larger trunk than a sedan, I would probably not buy an SUV. Similarly though, the other than the touch-screen and detachability aspect of the Surface line, it's not much different than a Macbook.

Also cars are sort of an exception, that aspect of car-buying has been studied before, and it seems the conclusion was that cars are unique in this regard. I think the majority of the population doesn't view computer buying that same way.

People tend to pick cars that will cover 99% of their use cases, even though they can save a ton of money if they were to buy a car that covered just 90% of their use cases. But people don't buy anything else like this: For example, people don't buy giant industrial-size dishwashers because they plan on hosting a big thanksgiving dinner every other year, where the rest of the time it's a small family of four using it. There are plenty of other examples of this - people tend to buy only what they need the majority of the time. The biggest exception is cars though.

I'm not sure if people buy laptops more like cars, or more like everything else. I bet it's the latter.
I kind of think it doesn’t matter.
In general, if the form factor and price doesn’t change too much I’d rather go for a device that does it all. Even if it does something badly. I have an internet enabled TV, I haven’t used it yet but it’s there if I need to. I actually have a touchscreen laptop for work, (an awful Dell), and I use that touch on probably 0-5% of occasions that I work with it. I’d rather have the ability to do it than not at all and be able to do something like sign on the screen even if it’s a bit of a bind.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL

Great analysis. I'd never realized it until now. I suppose Cars are more 'personable' and aren't viewed as just getting you from point A to point B. Especially American culture, which is why our public transit situation is deplorable compared to other parts of the world (though size of the country also influences both private and public transportation). Hmm, maybe that's why Apple's getting into the car business.

Reactions: oneMadRssn

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Funny, but I don't want to put my fingers all over my screen anymore than I did five minutes ago.

Totally agree. I can't stand even seeing dust and other smudges that somehow find their way onto my rMBP screen. Frankly, I dislike having to clean my iPad Air screen after my kids get their not-quite-clean hands on it.

And I'll state what I have over and again, that touch input on a vertical screen when your hands are naturally doing input on a keyboard in the horizontal plane, makes ZERO sense and is just not comfortable or manageable for anything other than quick pointing or cursor moving - things that you can do faster and more ergonomically by using a trackpad. I get that trackpads and Windows hardware have been anything but smooth or useful, which is likely part of the reason why MS moved on to screen input, and because they needed something to show they were following the trend of touchscreen devices.

JoeyEatWorld

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
Iowa City, IA, USA
Things a Mac Just Can't Do? I find this laughable since I had to return my Surface Pro 4 after two versions that were littered with bugs that made both unreliable to use for work related tasks. I know this isn't the SurfaceBook, but they are close enough related to draw parallels.

No thanks Microsoft. You'd think your Surface Pro by generation 4 would be a better experience. Mac just doesn't have these issues and therefore for me their products are just so much superior.

Reactions: Gudi

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Does it seem like Apple and Microsoft think that the only real work out there is that of the creative/media type? How will these ads draw in people who don't...uh draw for a living.

I think thats why the Pencil isn't included with iPad Pro. It's a niche use-case.

Try the switch.

You'll be back fast, screaming!

Couldn't agree more. I was interested in Windows 10: It looked like Microsoft had fixed Windows 8 and made quite a good product. Then one of my friends started using a Windows PC (he normally runs Debian) for university, and told me about how half-finished a product it is: There are still two settings programs: Control Panel and Settings. There are two browsers: IE and Edge. There are two UIs - a scroll bar or radio button doesn't look the same across the system. The icons across the system aren't the same. All my curiosity and desire to use Window 10 faded.

Why they couldn't go in and fix this, I don't know. Give all standard UI elements the "modern" look. Create new icons. Move every system control into the shiny new Settings app. Give the OS some polish, Microsoft, for goodness sake!

ConnorMcJeebus

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2016
For the few times you would actually want to touch the screen, I still don't see the benefit(s) of having an OS optimised for multiple input.

Also, plastering the screen with grease and fingerprints one minute and then using a trackpad the next is anything but professional.

What does being "professional" even mean to you? Some people don't mind using all available tools to get what they want done. There's even a pen. So, it's versatile and gives users options which some "professionals" may appreciate.
[doublepost=1457546694][/doublepost]
I think Microsoft need some decent designers, that Surface book looks UGLY.

The hinge part is pure vileness. Looks like it came from the 1960s.
View attachment 620424

Judging a book by its cover...literally.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
No matter how many resources MS pours into Windows it still has the most tiny damn font at high resolution. Turn on the scaling and see how the OS wasn't built to support scaling.

The tiny targets and font make it miserable to use.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Yeah I'd expect to do different things with a computer that costs up to 3x as much also.

What exactly are you comparing it to? In iPod touch, iPhone, Apple watch, iPad mini?

Cause its not an Apple laptop....

Reactions: Lukkee24

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
I think thats why the Pencil isn't included with iPad Pro. It's a niche use-case.

Couldn't agree more. I was interested in Windows 10: It looked like Microsoft had fixed Windows 8 and made quite a good product. Then one of my friends started using a Windows PC (he normally runs Debian) for university, and told me about how half-finished a product it is: There are still two settings programs: Control Panel and Settings. There are two browsers: IE and Edge. There are two UIs - a scroll bar or radio button doesn't look the same across the system. The icons across the system aren't the same. All my curiosity and desire to use Window 10 faded.

Why they couldn't go in and fix this, I don't know. Give all standard UI elements the "modern" look. Create new icons. Move every system control into the shiny new Settings app. Give the OS some polish, Microsoft, for goodness sake!

Oh I agree with everything and more. I run it on a desktop. That's another thing my Mac doesn't need: 2 completely different looking control panels!!

Reactions: thekeyring

JPLC

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Netherlands
Also, plastering the screen with grease and fingerprints one minute and then using a trackpad the next is anything but professional.

Sorry but the whole fingerprints and dirty screen argument is BS. I have not heard anyone complain about fingerprints on a touch device like the iPad or iPhone. How could that ever be a bigger problem for a MacBook?

Urban Joe

Suspended
Mar 19, 2012
Microsoft is definitely innovating hardware. Seems like Apple has them bested, though, in the "mobile first" software world we are living in right now.

StevieD100

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Living Dangerously in Retirement
Now, Apple, please borrow some inspiration from the surface book. Say what you want about MS or Apple, but the Surface Book is the first thing in years that have made me consider "switching".
do you really want to switch and let MS and their advertising pals get all sorts of lovely data on you? Data that you can't stop them getting?
do you really want to see Ads on the device lock screen?
do you want to lose control over updates? You will have them forced on you no matter how bad they are.
etc etc etc

If so, you will be more than welcome on Planet Microsoft.
I came to the Apple world to escape Microsoft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.