Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obezcinnet

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2012
they still don't get it, do they?
instead of telling us what we can't do on mac/ipad focus on your product, perhaps like what apple is doing with their ads.
now, that's something microsoft can't do.

Reactions: 0958400

Dydegu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2015
Pennsylvania
The version of the score Microsoft used is very unsettling and jarring. You're selling a 2 in 1, not intensely dialoguing before dropping into the Grid on your light cycle.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
MacBooks wouldn't be such a joke if they were advertised as mirrors. Those glossy displays are miserable.

DSC_7440.jpg

Reactions: CJM

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Wow, i must admit, I really liked these ads. It's something fresh from Microsoft that we haven't seen in awhile. Kinda selling me on a Surface book!
I needed a new laptop so I tried a Surface Pro 4, nice features as you pointed out. My issue was stability. Many driver, weird things happening, very unstable, and when the fans came on jet plane taking off. However, I really liked the pen, and overall look and feel of the Surface Pro 4. You would think by version 4 Microsoft would have the design and stability under control. Additionally the Surface Pro 4 was a somewhat expensive marginal laptop and tablet, for what I needed. Glad I tried it, in the end I now have a MacBook, very satisfied.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I like Windows 10 (except for the data mining part) and the Surface Book looks to be a compelling piece of hardware. I would probably switch if I could run FCPX on it. Even then though, the experience I had just a couple days ago eradicating viruses and malware from a Windows 10 machine remind me of why I switched to OS X in the first place. The malware was so advanced, it was able to keep Windows Defender from running and keep other antiviruses from updating. I finally just had to wipe the system and start from scratch.

While OS X does have some malware for it, it's nowhere near as bad as Windows. Sure, keeping an up-to-date antivirus is a must for Windows, but in my opinion it shouldn't be needed period. I've never personally seen malware (other then adware) attack an OS X system.

Otherwise, Microsoft is putting up some solid commercials and I hope the company continues improving. I hope they give Apple a run for their money on the software front, because I feel Apple has been getting a bit to relaxed.

Suspended
Jul 20, 2011
Hey Microsoft, why not compare it to an original iPod? That would make a hell of comparison. :)

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I think you really meant, ". . .what used to make people but Macs. . ." since Apple not longer makes top end laptops.
Yet they are the only growth in the industry overall.

Funny, that.

Suspended
Jul 20, 2011
they still don't get it, do they?
instead of telling us what we can't do on mac/ipad focus on your product, perhaps like what apple is doing with their ads.
now, that's something microsoft can't do.
Totally agree, same with Samsung. They think that putting Apple down would drive Apple customers to their doors - it won't. Convince customers by facts not by belittling them. Since they don't hold their potential customers in high regard, they only rely on their old customer base which probably won't increase by doing these kinds of ads.

Beardy man

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
Whatever the technical merits of the Surface, it's clear to me that MS have spotted that Apple, having thrown the Pro customers off the bus (with the MacPro fiasco) are leaving the Prosumer customers out to dry as we'll. MS are now targeting that sector of the market with the sort of "aspirational" ads that used to be Mac territory. Apple are too focused on the iToys. Sure that's where the money is in the short term but as the upgrade cycle on stuff like iPads is getting longer (who needs to upgrade an iPad every couple of years? One of mine is a mk II and still works fine), the traditional Mac user base is being eroded by a serious lack of commitment from Apple.

I'm happy for them to put out a new iPhone every year but, with the new office space they'll soon have plus the cash mountain the've had for a while, is it too much to ask for some upgrades directed at "work" related Mac stuff - you know, for the fans who kept them alive through the hard times? Be such a shame if MS became the new Apple!

Reactions: jedifaka and nvmls

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Microsoft keeps doing this in their commercials... When are they going to realize that Macs are less of a thread to them than the Chromebooks?

Different business model.

With the exception of Google's reassuringly expensive Chromebook Pixel, though, Chromebooks are mostly competing with low end 3rd-party laptops not made by Microsoft. MS isn't worried about how much money Dell makes, and their software/services division is quite capable of selling Office 365 subscriptions to Chromebook users.

This is all about MS trying to launch itself as a high-end hardware maker in direct competition with Apple. Maybe not costing £300 more than the famously un-cheap MacBook Pro (not quite enough to add an iPad, but getting there) would be a better tactic.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
Whenever I read anything like this, I can't help thinking to myself "yes, that may be true but it runs Windows doesn't it?" and then go back to my nice, familiar, stable and uncluttered Mac operating system.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Apple doesn't even have a competitor to the surface pro line.
They've decided computing shall be done in the traditional manner, seated, at a desk, in a city, and that tablet computing is for 6 year olds, and they'll recognize nothing in between these two extremes as valid. If there's one thing that demostrates a lack of vision, it's year after year passing by without an innovation toward the inevitable by Apple, and instead, a continual string of minor incremental spec bumps to its dated and frankly outdated product line and practically dormant OS X pro app "suite".

People used to joke that apple computers were toys for kids. It seems they've actually decided to pursue this as a business plan with iOS, found it 1000x more lucrative, and are sticking with it.

Last edited:

cppguy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
SF Bay Area, California
For the few times you would actually want to touch the screen, I still don't see the benefit(s) of having an OS optimised for multiple input.

Fingerprints are not an issue with my Surface. Even if one shows up, I can wipe it with my finger, and it disappears. It's for a limited audience, but it's very useful for those who need it. I would buy an Apple version if such a thing existed. It has to be a Mac, not an iPad, though. I admit the Apple pencil is nifty, but I'm a computer person, not an iOS guy.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Last edited:

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
They do have a point. I can definitely see the advantages of a laptop/tablet hybrid. The only reason Apple doesn't make one is because they want us to buy a MB and an iPad so they can make two sales instead of one and make even more profit. Nothing whatsoever with the BS reasons Tim Cook comes out with.

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
I love how MS uses the same exact music... same exact arpeggio just with a different instrument sound. Also, I never thought I'd see that day when MS felt the need to compete with Apple. Interesting.
[doublepost=1457552135][/doublepost]
[...] The only reason Apple doesn't make one is because they want us to buy a MB and an iPad so they can make two sales instead of one and make even more profit. Nothing whatsoever with the BS reasons Tim Cook comes out with.

I disagree. They are two completely different operating systems... as they should be. You can't just duct tape a touch layer on top of OS X or an exposed file system on to iOS and expect it to be a good user experience. Which is not to say they can't work on some level of convergence. But mouse and keyboard is still fundamentally (and profoundly) different from touch.

Dan2050

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2016
I think Microsoft need some decent designers, that Surface book looks UGLY.

The hinge part is pure vileness. Looks like it came from the 1960s.
View attachment 620424
A friend of mine purchased one and although he likes it the hinge scratched up his desk. He had to buy a pad to put on his desk to stop the sharp edges of the hinge making a mess of his desk.
I don't think Apple would have approved a design like that.
He couldn't believe Microsoft didn't test it on wooden desks.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Really? I know is this anecdotal (horrible word to spell---who came up with it?), but I see way more Macbooks out there in coffee shops than Chromebooks. Most teens I know dream of having a Mac something, not a Chromebook. I don't think it's unwise to target that market. It's certainly a real..uh thread to MS.

Sorry, my bad. I coined "anecdote" when I wanted to denote an experience I had giving an antidote to an antelope, but the antidote was an isotope and the antelope a ferryboat. I say this not to gloat, but rather as a misanthrope looking for an anecdote to promote.

Amazing Ox Space Monkey

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2015
Microsoft Surface Book top configuration:
Dual-core i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD - €2919

13" rMBP top configuration
Dual-core i7, 16GB RAM, 1GB SSD - €3100, (€2500 with 512GB)

So, they are selling the possibility to use it as a tablet and as a touch device for €400, all other parameters being identical. Most windows users are so price concious, they will notice immediately that the surface book has a terrible price-productivity ratio. Quite possibly one can find much cheaper laptops with the same features (i7/16/512). Apple has already got the lion's share of users who spend top dollar on computers. That's why these ads are geared towards Apple and this "I can't do this on my mac".

On top of that, most mac users are die-hards, and the rest have little use of a combined laptop-tablet device. Bear in mind the market for tablets is already saturated which means, whoever wanted a tablet has already bought one.

Basically, what I mean, this ad and the Surface Book will have a very little impact. I hope I am wrong, though, because little competition is not bad. The SB will never make me switch from Apple. My iPad and my iMac (and soon-to-be-purchased MacBook) are used for quite different purposes. I have absolutely no need to have a tablet and a laptop in the same device. Besides, as a tablet the SB runs for just 3 hours - and that's pity.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
I was interested in Windows 10: It looked like Microsoft had fixed Windows 8 and made quite a good product. Then one of my friends started using a Windows PC (he normally runs Debian) for university, and told me about how half-finished a product it is: There are still two settings programs: Control Panel and Settings. There are two browsers: IE and Edge. There are two UIs - a scroll bar or radio button doesn't look the same across the system. The icons across the system aren't the same. All my curiosity and desire to use Window 10 faded.

Why they couldn't go in and fix this, I don't know.
I do know why.

It wouldn't be a no-compromise, multi-touch yet backward-compatible hybrid tablet/notebook device, if it hadn't two of everything in it. This is not a half-finished product, this mess is the product. That's why they call it a 2-in-1. The alternative to this approach is a clean break like Apple did with iOS, which does not run a single OS X app and therefore gets away with dropping support for all Settings and all UI from the ancient past before 2007.

One way or the other, both have their downsides. Choose wisely!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.