Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

massimj

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2012
I ma new to all of this too, and I started wanting the MicroKorg, and really wanted to by a used one due to the cost. I have Reaper for DAW ,and I thought that I might not be able to use the MicroKorg with a DAW system like Reaper. I am guessing that your comment suggests that not all Synth's can be used by a DAW because they might lack a MIDI interface, but the MicroKorg does, so it can do both. Is thta right? I ordered a Axiom 25 last night, and it came from BestBuy for $149.00. Now I am thinking that the best choiuce would to keep hunting craigslist for the MicroKorg.

This brings me to the next question. We talked about the Midi port, but how does the USB interface come into play? The Axiom 25 has a USB interface, so it interfaces wit hthe computer, but registers wit hthe computer as a Midi device. When we addrress the USB port on a MicroKorg, assuming that it has one, will it regiister as both a Midi device, and a Synth? Taking some sounds from the computer, and others from the Synth?
Maybe I am way of base, but that is why I post this here among experts. Could somoene put some sense to my thoughts, sort of a bridge of knowledge between Synth and Midi compatibility.

I'm not sure if I am going to cancel the Axiom, and kepe searching for a MicroKorg, or not. I am not a muscian, and I do not have any experience with this, just a profound interest to learn new things. My background is computers, and networking. I have interest in audio recording as well, and currently work with a Zoom H2n to capture live perfomences.

Thank you so much, for spreading the knowledge.

Joe
Reason is a fine product, but realize that performing live with it means having a laptop on stage -- this is a high-risk scenario.

You also have to decide whether you are going to learn to play keyboards 'properly' -- the MicroKorg has some good sounds, but it has miniature keys, so it is more difficult to play piano or organ style parts, it is more suited for one-finger-at-a-time playing.

As mentioned, most synths will also be MIDI controllers.

If you don't want the newest sounds, you should be able to find a used digital synth (with full sized keys) for fairly cheap. Older, analog synths are skyrocketing in price because of the desirability of the 'warm' analog sound.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
....The Axiom 25 has a USB interface, so it interfaces wit hthe computer, but registers wit hthe computer as a Midi device. When we addrress the USB port on a MicroKorg, assuming that it has one, will it regiister as both a Midi device, and a Synth? Taking some sounds from the computer, and others from the Synth?...

I don't think an Axiom 25 has any built-in sound generation capability. It is strictly an input device for a computer. You would use it to play "virtual instruments" in some DAW like Garage Band

They do make keyboard instruments with sound generators inside. These will work stand alone without a computer b the Axiom 25 is useless without a computer.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
I have Reaper for DAW ,and I thought that I might not be able to use the MicroKorg with a DAW system like Reaper. I am guessing that your comment suggests that not all Synth's can be used by a DAW because they might lack a MIDI interface, but the MicroKorg does, so it can do both. Is thta right?

We talked about the Midi port, but how does the USB interface come into play? The Axiom 25 has a USB interface, so it interfaces wit hthe computer, but registers wit hthe computer as a Midi device. When we addrress the USB port on a MicroKorg, assuming that it has one, will it regiister as both a Midi device, and a Synth? Taking some sounds from the computer, and others from the Synth?

The MicroKorg model is 10 years old, it does not have USB
It does have MIDI In, Out and Thru
http://www.korg.com/microkorg
To use it with a computer you will require a MIDI Interface.

The newer MicroKorgXL has USB as well as MIDI In and Out ports
http://www.korg.com/microkorgxl

The Axiom does MIDI over USB and has standard MIDI In and Out jacks
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Axiom25New.html

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
.... We talked about the Midi port, but how does the USB interface come into play? The Axiom 25 has a USB interface, so it interfaces wit hthe computer, but registers wit hthe computer as a Midi device

A "real MIDI" port looks like a round 5-pin DIN connector. Typically every MIDI device will have an "In" and an "out" jack inn the back. So will also have "through". You can connect MIDI devices, keyboards and tone generators using these jacks.

But computers don't have round MIDI jacks. So you need to buy a MIDI to USB interface. Some of these look like cables with a round plug on one end and a USB on the other. Some look like boxes.

In the last few years some MIDI keyboards have been made with the MIDI<-->USB interface built-in so the keyboard has USB. Some keyboards have only USB, Some have USB and the 5-pin MIDI and some have only the 5-pin MIDI. But it is all the same data.

MIDI can by bi-directional. For example a synth can send MIDI to some other MIDI device that can make sounds or it can make the sound if soothing send MIDI data to it, Or it can make it's own sound as the MIDI data loops around inside the instrument.

5-pin MIDI in universal and you can bud big chains of instruments and controllers. USB MIDI only works between a computer and a MIDI device

It's odd that if you are using Reaper. All Macs have Garage Band. I'd think that you would not yet have out grown GB. I'd stay with t until you see a good reason to move on. And then Logic is an easy step up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.