Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is superior? Post a comment about your choice - Samsung Galaxy S III or iPhone5

• Samsung Galaxy S III

Votes: 22 30.6%
  • iPhone 5

Votes: 50 69.4%

• Total voters

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
For what my opinion is worth regarding hardware. If you put the chipsets aside, and look at form factor and materials. I have to hand it to Apple. Now that they have ditched the stupid glass front and back and replaced with Aluminum and a better screen material, the device is going to feel very well made without being the glass brick it was.

As far as chipsets go and the hardware guts, I don't know enough about each to offer an educated opinion.

ObsidianBlade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
For what my opinion is worth regarding hardware. If you put the chipsets aside, and look at form factor and materials. I have to hand it to Apple. Now that they have ditched the stupid glass front and back and replaced with Aluminum and a better screen material, the device is going to feel very well made without being the glass brick it was.

As far as chipsets go and the hardware guts, I don't know enough about each to offer an educated opinion.

Thank you for your input. It's appreciated. I wonder how tough the aluminum will be to scratch though?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I don't think there is a superior.

Android doesn't have good ram management and that is why it lags even on the S3. Phones don't need 2gb of ram. Many computers with more ram intensive programs run perfectly with two gigs, so why does a phone need it? You don't multitasking nearly as much with a phone as you do with a computer. The reason Samsung put it in was a gimmick. People will say look it has more ram so it must be better. Remember having more ram does not make it faster but allows you to have more programs open at a time which android is horrible at managing. iOS is much smoother. iPhone 4S has 512gb of ram and it is much more smooth and stable then the galaxies 2gb. It depends on software not hardware.

And this is according to ......? Have you actually owned a GS3? :cool:

I can tell you the SG3 even out the box is fast and smooth, no lags at all even under heavy multitasking. Some say 2gb overkill, but I didn't get the GS3 for the 2gb and it definitely doesn't hurt to have it. Battery life is just as good as my iP4. I don't see iOS being an smoother or faster than ICS on the GS3.

ObsidianBlade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I can tell you the SG3 even out the box is fast and smooth, no lags at all even under heavy multitasking. Some say 2gb overkill, but I didn't get the GS3 for the 2gb and it definitely doesn't hurt to have it. Battery life is just as good as my iP4.

Yup it's awesome for that. I have yet to use all the RAM too.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I 't think there is a superior.

I can tell you the SG3 even out the box is fast and smooth, no lags at all even under heavy multitasking. Some say 2gb overkill, but I didn't get the GS3 for the 2gb and it definitely doesn't hurt to have it. Battery life is just as good as my iP4. I don't see iOS being an smoother or faster than ICS on the GS3.

Well then you must have a custom rom on yours then because I constantly have to clear the ram. You shouldn't have to add a custom rom to get it to run smooth. Not to mention most of the features they brag about are useless. I'm not saying its a bad phone, its just that iOS is much better. Hopefully jellybean fixes the problems but I will still get the iPhone 5 and will most likely use my S3 for web browsing.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2009
Hardware wise the iPhone 5 definitely wins, but overall the Galaxy S III wins in my opinion. My problem with the iPhone has never been that it's low quality or too slow, it's that it's been stagnant OS wise for a few years now. They're not moving forward software wise, which matters more than hardware any day.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Well then you must have a custom rom on yours then because I constantly have to clear the ram. You shouldn't have to add a custom rom to get it to run smooth. Not to mention most of the features they brag about are useless. I'm not saying its a bad phone, its just that iOS is much better. Hopefully jellybean fixes the problems but I will still get the iPhone 5 and will most likely use my S3 for web browsing.

No I don't. I'm running stock ICS w/ touchwiz. Even though I rooted, I haven't yet tried a custom rom on my GS3 yet. I haven't messed with anything, not even clocking. Like I said in my statement, been running smooth out the box.

I agree some features are gimmicks. Like picture in picture which seems to only work on the default video app and moboplayer. But you sure can't knock it.

This is so completely untrue. Don't just come in here spewing complete BS without backing it up. Facts/proof. But you won't because you don't have any and its a complete lie.

It is actually true. But it's so little of a differ that it's not even a factor. This really applies to laptops/notebooks.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009

I am finding the occasional lag on my device even if I clear my RAM fairly frequently. The most obvious is likely a software issue wherein you exit from the default sms and the screen flickers while restoring to the home screen.

I am also getting the occasional lag or very infrequent freeze (very short duration) mostly after installing widget locker. Not sure if that is the cause or what. Either way, not going to root until JB is out.

So, no the device is not perfect, but it is still extremely pleasant to use and I don't regret my purchase. It would be different if it froze or locked on me on a regular basis or when something important was needed like my alarm clock on it. If that changes, we will see.

Bells and whistles are great but if it impacts the useability of the device, then I will go with the most consistent and reliable one, regardless of maker.

nba1341

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
I am finding the occasional lag on my device even if I clear my RAM fairly frequently. The most obvious is likely a software issue wherein you exit from the default sms and the screen flickers while restoring to the home screen.

I am also getting the occasional lag or very infrequent freeze (very short duration) mostly after installing widget locker. Not sure if that is the cause or what. Either way, not going to root until JB is out.

So, no the device is not perfect, but it is still extremely pleasant to use and I don't regret my purchase. It would be different if it froze or locked on me on a regular basis or when something important was needed like my alarm clock on it. If that changes, we will see.

Bells and whistles are great but if it impacts the useability of the device, then I will go with the most consistent and reliable one, regardless of maker.

Your problem is app based not phone/os based. teslacoil or whatever that troll who made widget lockers name is hasn't touched widget locker for months. He only cares about his ics/jb launcher now

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012

2gb will be welcomed once android gets more advanced down the road. even though I'll likely upgrade before android requires 1gb of ram just to run itself, it's great for those that keep their phones forever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.