Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drumma022

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
After trying to find an XS version of the "Jack Bauer Bag" or Classic Messenger Bag, I took a trip to the nearest Army Navy Surplus store. I browsed through their bag section I considered the following:

I first looked at 'Fox' messenger bag but it was a HAIR too small without any protection/structure to the canvas bag. Not bad for under $30.
https://www.foxoutdoor.com/ItemDetails.aspx?cid=4&ccid=31&cscid=273
4207.jpg

I was then almost sold on the Rothco M-51 Engineer Bag. The bag had 2 spots where the iPad could fit, document sleeve, side pocket for the cell phone, and a TON of interior pockets. In fact, the sheer amount of interior pockets actually turned me off since I would likely forget which pocket i put stuff in. I would have gotten this bag for all of my toys/tools but I was looking for something a bit smaller. $30
http://www.armynavyusa.com/gc/customer/product.php?productid=1389
8112_M-51_ENGINEERS_BAG_450_xl.jpg

THEN I came across this guy. The OD color wasn't my first choice, but it was the only color they had in stock and I am an impulse buyer. My iPad fits great with plenty of room and is actually protected on the backside of the pocket which actually gives the bag some structure. This allows for me to pop open the bag and slide the iPad right on in. The best part - it was only $15!! (and can be bought online for $8.39 + shipping)
http://www.armynavyusa.com/gc/customer/product.php?productid=1615&search=global_search
5796_Olive_Drab_Canvas_Map_Case_Shoulder_Bag_450_xl.jpg

I took a few pics of my naked iPad in the bag. I plan to use the Case when the Apple store restocks them.

Attachments

• IMG_5136.JPG
    IMG_5136.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_5141.JPG
    IMG_5141.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 890
  • IMG_5138.JPG
    IMG_5138.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG_5139.JPG
    IMG_5139.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_5140.JPG
    IMG_5140.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 1,415

mlomeli

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2010
Quick question...

I'm a youth pastor and need a bag for iPad + Bible. Do you think that front pocket would be big enough? Can't tell from the pic. It looks like it would, but better safe to at least ask.

Thanks

drumma022

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Plenty of room! I checked with a copy of The World Is Flat and although it didn't even open the bag up to its full capacity, I personally wouldn't put much more in there.

Attachments

• IMG_5142.JPG
    IMG_5142.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 403

mlomeli

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2010
Awesome, thanks! Army/Navy real close by to my house. May need to stop there later tonight or on lunch break tomorrow.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Quick question...

I'm a youth pastor and need a bag for iPad + Bible. Do you think that front pocket would be big enough? Can't tell from the pic. It looks like it would, but better safe to at least ask.

Thanks

Just put a bible app on the ipad. :)

Fanatik7

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2010
Nice bag. I too was looking for a cheap messenger vertical bag and found this bag on ebay. Wasn't as cheap as yours but was $50 including shipping. It's a Kenneth Cole Reaction On The Go Small Day Bag. I wanted the bag to be as small as possible yet fit at least my charger and homemade stand. It only measures 8x11x4 so it will be a tight fit but fingers crossed when it arrives.

pKCP-6904781v275.jpg

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Keep this in mind if you plan on buying any military style bag to travel with... Make sure it's BRAND NEW and not a used bag. If you're using a used military bag going through the airport, there is always that chance of explosive residue on the bag when they swipe check. TRUST me. My cousin works for TSA and I hear the stories. haha You're world will be made miserable trying to travel if you swipe positive.

nightfly13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Ranchi, India
The ESV (Bible) app was free when I got it, but the search function is pretty weak. I do get to verses/passages faster than most people flipping through. Best Bible app is the Olive Tree software, but spendy.

vvrinne

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2010
Helsinki, Finland
Memorable quotes from The Hangover :)

Phil Wenneck: You're not really wearing that are you?
Alan Garner: Wearing what?
Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just ****in' with me?
Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.
Phil Wenneck: So does Joy Behar.

drumma022

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Keep this in mind if you plan on buying any military style bag to travel with... Make sure it's BRAND NEW and not a used bag. If you're using a used military bag going through the airport, there is always that chance of explosive residue on the bag when they swipe check. TRUST me. My cousin works for TSA and I hear the stories. haha You're world will be made miserable trying to travel if you swipe positive.

Thanks for the heads up!

If you go to the Army/Navy branded store, most all of their stuff is new in the bag, with the exception of the stuff they sell out of the cheap bins.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Excellent call!! I stopped by mine today and picked up a black map case. It goes for $12.98, and I found one on a half price table! :eek: An IPad bag for less than $10, I can roll with that until I see something else I like.

I really like the board backing, which makes the case sturdy against your body. Feels like a little protection while it's in there. With the two pocket inside, I can put my IPad & keyboard in seperate compartments, and a magazine or two.

It was so cheap I did also get the Fox Messenger bag which they had for $17. It has only one main pocket, but plenty of other pockets for anything else, including two sides and a back pocket. So for a combined total of less than $30 with tax, have a little selection of IPad bags to use.

I highly recommend on following up on this thread!

skullnbones

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
Just ordered the US Amy map bag in black canvas from ebay, for less than AUD$30 posted to Australia.

Sweet.

klio

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Great suggestion. I have a stack of WW2 map case bags (leftover from a convention for... don't even ask) and now I have motivation to dig them out of storage.

devilzboy

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
MMilitary Map Case Shoulder Bag - Cheapest iPad Bag yet?

great post of the ipad bags - drumma022

I own the Rothco M-51 Engineer Bag and it is way too big for the ipad. You would want a smaller type bag that isnt as bulky. Whats great about these bags, is you would never thing they would be holding an ipad in them.

I found a black version of one of them below for $10 without shipping.

http://www.armyuniverse.com/black-canvas-map-case-military-shoulder-bag-p-1088.html

I saw you liked the bag, but they only offered it in olive drab.

norrismantooth

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
Dallas, TX
iPad Map Case - great fit but no support?

I've ordered the Rothco MapCase hoping it will fit my iPad (in the Otterbox Defender) and the bluetooth keyboard, in addition to some other items.

To those that own this bag, do you feel it supports your items and iPad well? There is no interior padding. How do you like it?
:apple:

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Quick question...

Thanks

My hardcover copy of Richard Dawkins, "The GOD Delusion" fit perfectly in mine. Your Bible should fit also. ;-)

norrismantooth

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
Dallas, TX
Map Case

My map case arrived. It's decent, and the iPad w/Otterbox Defender case fits great. Also carrying a spiral notebook and a textbook (when going to class), and there's extra room. Great purchase. 5 stars.

dts2000

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2010
M-51 Engineer Bag

I own the M-51 Engineer Bag.
It's alot better to carry around town, but i did notice it was getting alittle heavy
with my tech tools (screw drivers and pliers) and my paddie. The material makes the bag feel heavy imo.
I also have the Ben Sherman Accessories Canvas Commuter Bag and love it!
the weight and compartments are perfect, but my girlfriend has commented it's a little on the man purse side.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.