Military Map Case Shoulder Bag - Cheapest iPad Bag yet?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by drumma022, Apr 29, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

After trying to find an XS version of the "Jack Bauer Bag" or Classic Messenger Bag, I took a trip to the nearest Army Navy Surplus store. I browsed through their bag section I considered the following:

I first looked at 'Fox' messenger bag but it was a HAIR too small without any protection/structure to the canvas bag. Not bad for under $30.
    https://www.foxoutdoor.com/ItemDetails.aspx?cid=4&ccid=31&cscid=273
    [​IMG]

I was then almost sold on the Rothco M-51 Engineer Bag. The bag had 2 spots where the iPad could fit, document sleeve, side pocket for the cell phone, and a TON of interior pockets. In fact, the sheer amount of interior pockets actually turned me off since I would likely forget which pocket i put stuff in. I would have gotten this bag for all of my toys/tools but I was looking for something a bit smaller. $30
    http://www.armynavyusa.com/gc/customer/product.php?productid=1389
    [​IMG]

THEN I came across this guy. The OD color wasn't my first choice, but it was the only color they had in stock and I am an impulse buyer. My iPad fits great with plenty of room and is actually protected on the backside of the pocket which actually gives the bag some structure. This allows for me to pop open the bag and slide the iPad right on in. The best part - it was only $15!! (and can be bought online for $8.39 + shipping)
    http://www.armynavyusa.com/gc/customer/product.php?productid=1615&search=global_search
    [​IMG]

I took a few pics of my naked iPad in the bag. I plan to use the Case when the Apple store restocks them.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors member

Quick question...

I'm a youth pastor and need a bag for iPad + Bible. Do you think that front pocket would be big enough? Can't tell from the pic. It looks like it would, but better safe to at least ask.

Thanks

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Plenty of room! I checked with a copy of The World Is Flat and although it didn't even open the bag up to its full capacity, I personally wouldn't put much more in there.

Attached Files:

4. macrumors member

Awesome, thanks! Army/Navy real close by to my house. May need to stop there later tonight or on lunch break tomorrow.

5. macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Just put a bible app on the ipad. :)

6. macrumors member

Nice bag. I too was looking for a cheap messenger vertical bag and found this bag on ebay. Wasn't as cheap as yours but was $50 including shipping. It's a Kenneth Cole Reaction On The Go Small Day Bag. I wanted the bag to be as small as possible yet fit at least my charger and homemade stand. It only measures 8x11x4 so it will be a tight fit but fingers crossed when it arrives.

[​IMG]

7. macrumors 68000

Daremo

Keep this in mind if you plan on buying any military style bag to travel with... Make sure it's BRAND NEW and not a used bag. If you're using a used military bag going through the airport, there is always that chance of explosive residue on the bag when they swipe check. TRUST me. My cousin works for TSA and I hear the stories. haha You're world will be made miserable trying to travel if you swipe positive.

8. macrumors 6502a

what he said!

9. macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

The ESV (Bible) app was free when I got it, but the search function is pretty weak. I do get to verses/passages faster than most people flipping through. Best Bible app is the Olive Tree software, but spendy.

10. macrumors newbie

Memorable quotes from The Hangover :)

Phil Wenneck: You're not really wearing that are you?
    Alan Garner: Wearing what?
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just ****in' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.
    Phil Wenneck: So does Joy Behar.

11. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the heads up!

If you go to the Army/Navy branded store, most all of their stuff is new in the bag, with the exception of the stuff they sell out of the cheap bins.

12. macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Excellent call!! I stopped by mine today and picked up a black map case. It goes for $12.98, and I found one on a half price table! :eek: An IPad bag for less than $10, I can roll with that until I see something else I like.

I really like the board backing, which makes the case sturdy against your body. Feels like a little protection while it's in there. With the two pocket inside, I can put my IPad & keyboard in seperate compartments, and a magazine or two.

It was so cheap I did also get the Fox Messenger bag which they had for $17. It has only one main pocket, but plenty of other pockets for anything else, including two sides and a back pocket. So for a combined total of less than $30 with tax, have a little selection of IPad bags to use.

I highly recommend on following up on this thread!

13. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I was thinking the same thing LOL

14. macrumors 68020

kernkraft

iPad and the Bible in a US military bag - sounds...

interesting.

15. macrumors newbie

Just ordered the US Amy map bag in black canvas from ebay, for less than AUD$30 posted to Australia.

Sweet.

16. macrumors member

Great suggestion. I have a stack of WW2 map case bags (leftover from a convention for... don't even ask) and now I have motivation to dig them out of storage.

17. macrumors 6502

18. macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

If I decided to join the army would I get this bag for free?

This could be a deal maker.

19. macrumors regular

Icewind

Too expensive.... UK Army = Free IKEA bag

20. macrumors newbie

MMilitary Map Case Shoulder Bag - Cheapest iPad Bag yet?

great post of the ipad bags - drumma022

I own the Rothco M-51 Engineer Bag and it is way too big for the ipad. You would want a smaller type bag that isnt as bulky. Whats great about these bags, is you would never thing they would be holding an ipad in them.

I found a black version of one of them below for $10 without shipping.

http://www.armyuniverse.com/black-canvas-map-case-military-shoulder-bag-p-1088.html

I saw you liked the bag, but they only offered it in olive drab.

21. macrumors regular

iPad Map Case - great fit but no support?

I've ordered the Rothco MapCase hoping it will fit my iPad (in the Otterbox Defender) and the bluetooth keyboard, in addition to some other items.

To those that own this bag, do you feel it supports your items and iPad well? There is no interior padding. How do you like it?
    :apple:

22. macrumors 68020

My hardcover copy of Richard Dawkins, "The GOD Delusion" fit perfectly in mine. Your Bible should fit also. ;-)

23. macrumors regular

Map Case

My map case arrived. It's decent, and the iPad w/Otterbox Defender case fits great. Also carrying a spiral notebook and a textbook (when going to class), and there's extra room. Great purchase. 5 stars.

24. macrumors newbie

M-51 Engineer Bag

I own the M-51 Engineer Bag.
    It's alot better to carry around town, but i did notice it was getting alittle heavy
    with my tech tools (screw drivers and pliers) and my paddie. The material makes the bag feel heavy imo.
    I also have the Ben Sherman Accessories Canvas Commuter Bag and love it!
    the weight and compartments are perfect, but my girlfriend has commented it's a little on the man purse side.:)

25. macrumors newbie

ipad bag

I'm not sure if these are called messenger bags, satchel bags, or what, but here's my latest ipad bag