Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisgrubb

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2021
So cool. Thank you for sharing! Question: what tripod and adapter do you use to connect iPhone to tripod? Thank you!

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
Another couple of hand held 10 second exposures from a light polluted garden. What a camera!

4B8E0300-9E2A-476C-8573-A14A9FA5526C.jpeg

76227739-A4DC-41C7-815E-299830E9EC1D.jpeg

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
So cool. Thank you for sharing! Question: what tripod and adapter do you use to connect iPhone to tripod? Thank you!
Thanks… this mount is my favorite. Very well made for the price. Works great on the tripod. The handle unscrews from the head.

Cinema Mount Mini Smartphone Rig & Aluminum Alloy Grip Handle, Cell Phone Tripod Adapter, Standard Cold Shoe Mount, Tripod Mount, Fit Arca Swiss Compatible with iPhone 11 12 Pro Max https://www.amazon.com/Cinema-Smartphone-Aluminum-Adapter-Standard/dp/B07NDKQCHM

Reactions: PhilBoogie

wibbley

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
ITS MILKY WAY TIME!!!

I went to my usual dark sky location to test the iPhone 14 pro max in night mode. I must say the new larger sensor is 4x better than the 13 pro max. The Milky Way looks way more realistic and like a DSLR image……finally! Crazy to see these at ISO 12,500 and 10,000… wow. The max ISO of the new sensor is 12,768! Wow. But the images are clean at that ISO. I’m impressed. My iPhone was tracked on my skywatcher Star Adventurer during the 30” exposure to keep the stars pinpoint.

ProRAW and edited in Lightroom mobile.

View attachment 2072764

View attachment 2072763

Out of camera jpeg, no edit

View attachment 2072765
iPhones have amazing cameras these days. For a single shot (no stacking) this beats my Fuji camera. This was taken on an iPhone 13 Pro just recently in the UK.

Attachments

• 1A6ADB78-E165-441A-A8E7-3B85AB16065B.jpeg
    1A6ADB78-E165-441A-A8E7-3B85AB16065B.jpeg
    416 KB · Views: 147

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
View attachment 2073890

View attachment 2073887

The photo cut and past action is really cool.! Anyway, here’s a photo of my set up. taking mine that this is not necessary to be used but I just use it to keep from getting star trails over 30 seconds of exposure time. otherwise, just a standard tripod will work just fine, he’ll just have a photo with a good Milky Way with some elongated stars when zoomed in at 100%. this is the Skywatcher star adventure. The cell phone bracket I purchased on Amazon also and here is the link for that. It does an OK job I just wish it held the phone a little bit better but it’s made very well.

Metal Smartphone Tripod Adapter for Phone - Universal iPhone Tripod Mount - Fits iPhone 11 13, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Samsung - Sturdiest Phone Tripod Mount Attachment https://www.amazon.com/Metal-Smartphone-Tripod-Adapter-Phone/dp/B09LY18XBG
There are other options. Also, just read the reviews before you get one to see what’s best for you.
I need that! I shot these with my 13 Pro and was happy since I set my phone on a folded up camping chair on the ground. The first picture had a nice warm glow as it was next to the camp fire.
9D8BE78F-0C08-4AD0-BD02-B78F2EAEB795.jpeg
EA968910-F4F8-48C4-86BE-51F756AA9D56.jpeg

MatthewStorm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Chapel Hill
What was the ISO for this image? My iPhone 14 pro max has taken nightmode shots last night with weird ISO, I saw 32,000. Which isn’t possible and the image was a bit too dark. Just curious as to what yours was taken at.
It was 4000. But I looked again and it's not 30 seconds. It's 3. I don't know what to do. I'm on a tripod. I cannot get 30 seconds to save my life.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
It was 4000. But I looked again and it's not 30 seconds. It's 3. I don't know what to do. I'm on a tripod. I cannot get 30 seconds to save my life.
Well, remember that the night mode will go to 30 seconds whenever it recognizes that it’s on a tripod and when you slide the exposure time over to your left to max it out at 30 seconds. After you look at the image and you see it showing 3 seconds or 10 seconds, or what have you, that just means that it took three second exposures totaling up to 30 seconds. In dark areas the night mode will take three 10 second exposures and stack them together to total 30”. Whenever night mode comes on or activated don’t use default, swipe up from just above the camera options and you’ll see that other secondary menu at the bottom and you touch the yellow circle which is your night mode and you’ll see that picket fence looking slider bar, and it might be defaulted at three or five seconds, slide that all the way to the left until it shows 30 seconds on the display and then take your photo. You should see it countdown from 30 seconds to zero.

• Love
Reactions: rjjacobson

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
Well, remember that the night mode will go to 30 seconds whenever it recognizes that it’s on a tripod and when you slide the exposure time over to your left to max it out at 30 seconds. After you look at the image and you see it showing 3 seconds or 10 seconds, or what have you, that just means that it took three second exposures totaling up to 30 seconds. In dark areas the night mode will take three 10 second exposures and stack them together to total 30”. Whenever night mode comes on or activated don’t use default, swipe up from just above the camera options and you’ll see that other secondary menu at the bottom and you touch the yellow circle which is your night mode and you’ll see that picket fence looking slider bar, and it might be defaulted at three or five seconds, slide that all the way to the left until it shows 30 seconds on the display and then take your photo. You should see it countdown from 30 seconds to zero.
Ok need to find time to go to dark area and play myself but not this weekend out of town some but eventually gonna keep this for reference thanks for all your help

Reactions: ToddH

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
Some advice here - or even if it is possible.

The below was last night, finally got my camera tripod out and did a full 30 second exposure on the iPhone 14 pro. Then edited on the iphone using the native tools. IMO quite amazing for a phone camera, but still missing the milky way dust cloud that should run through the middle of that view if my bearings are correct. Would that come out with editing, will it not show as it is too light polluted, or do I need a filter similar to the one I would use on my scope?

tempImageYcP3Fx.png

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
You’re welcome… also there are many YouTube videos on night mode with the iPhone.
I have to admit for most of the iphones with night mode I never think about it just point and shoot and am always amazed in what you can record but have not dug into fine details may finally be motivated to do so ;-)

Reactions: ToddH

Husky22

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2020

The below was last night, finally got my camera tripod out and did a full 30 second exposure on the iPhone 14 pro. Then edited on the iphone using the native tools. IMO quite amazing for a phone camera, but still missing the milky way dust cloud that should run through the middle of that view if my bearings are correct. Would that come out with editing, will it not show as it is too light polluted, or do I need a filter similar to the one I would use on my scope?

View attachment 2084397
It shouldn’t take any editing to show the dust cloud. I found if I let the phone focus itself without touching on one of the stars I got much better results. I also watched a video of a guy who got better results when he upgraded from iOS 16 to 16.02.

Reactions: BillGates1969

Taldric2022

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2022

View attachment 2084397
Could you see it with your naked eye? If not, you have too much light pollution in your location. I can't see the Milky Way from here with my naked eye - just too many light around. If you can't see it, neither can your phone camera.

Reactions: BillGates1969

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
Could you see it with your naked eye? If not, you have too much light pollution in your location. I can't see the Milky Way from here with my naked eye - just too many light around. If you can't see it, neither can your phone camera.

Thanks. I can’t see it but I thought that as I couldn’t see that many stars a longer exposure would bring it out.

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
Sure thing. I have this one as well for my 10 inch dob

Sure Thing. I use this particular cell phone mount as well for my telescope and it works really well. It doesn’t fit the big giant eye pieces but a majority of them it will and it comes with spacers etc. for the smaller eye pieces. good luck, you’ll need to share some photos if you get this.

Celestron – NexYZ – 3–Axis Universal Smartphone Adapter for Telescope – Digiscoping Smartphone Adapter – Capture Images and Video Through Your Telescope or Spotting Scope https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-3-Axis-Universal-Smartphone-Adapter/dp/B07D7V3B8M

This is the same adapter I use on my celestron spotting scope I’ve got some fantastic moonshots through digiscope

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
ITS MILKY WAY TIME!!!

I went to my usual dark sky location to test the iPhone 14 pro max in night mode. I must say the new larger sensor is 4x better than the 13 pro max. The Milky Way looks way more realistic and like a DSLR image……finally! Crazy to see these at ISO 12,500 and 10,000… wow. The max ISO of the new sensor is 12,768! Wow. But the images are clean at that ISO. I’m impressed. My iPhone was tracked on my skywatcher Star Adventurer during the 30” exposure to keep the stars pinpoint.

ProRAW and edited in Lightroom mobile.

View attachment 2072764

View attachment 2072763

Out of camera jpeg, no edit

View attachment 2072765

Love these shots just beautiful. Did you focus on a star or no focusing?

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Love these shots just beautiful. Did you focus on a star or no focusing?
Thank you…

The iPhone will continuously auto focus so I just let it focus itself. A couple of times I did experiment with touch focus, a couple of times the image was out of focus. So I just let the iPhone focus on it own.

CaptainNemo

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2022
B1C3D1AF-0572-45C7-BE58-A475257EDB61.jpeg
Amazing shots! Love seeing what others have been posting as well.

I read up on how to take astrophotography after reading this and getting my 14 Pro. The wife and I were in Shenandoah National Park and I decided to pop it on a small tripod at night and was able to get the following shot (after some terrible first-time editing in Lightroom). Just incredible for something that fits in a pocket. Still need to learn more about Lightroom.

breather

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
Sweden
I finally got an opportunity to really test my iPhone 14PM last night.
Pretty satisfied with the results.

What photo app do you recommend for astrophotograph?

Outside Boden, Sweden (northen parts)

Raw. 10 sec exposure. Tripod
Edit: It’s actually a 30 sec exposure.
5B1FD4A3-D06C-4BB7-8508-10DD8590A8FB.jpeg

4F5283C5-1410-4CEE-8F31-E4B89C291045.jpeg

703E7B7A-BAB3-4D3F-80D5-3F6CF391943D.jpeg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.