Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
*cough* 14 *cough*

----------

Actually, 15 in a few weeks

Wow. Now I feel like an elder. Oh well, looks like I'll have to start work on growing a long grey beard...

----------

Just turned 17... ironically I share the same birthday as Bill Gates!

I myself share the same birthday as the great Irish revolutionary Michael Collins.

No relevance, I just thought I'd mention that.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I share a birthday with Steven Spielberg, Slavery was abolished, and the mayflower docked at Plymouth Harbor.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
I have a guide coming like GameFreak348 mentioned, almost done but I've been extremely busy working at the school on the Yosemite transition. Was at work from 6:30am to 8pm tonight. Long long day.

But it'll be up the moment I can, promise :)

I'll be gladly awaiting your MC PPC guide! :)

----------

I share a birthday with National Womens Day. I should be gay.

I share a birthday with Snoop Dog. I should be a rapper.

----------

Now what would make you think that? :D

I initially thought you were an adult until I saw your bio or something. I am curious as to how old others here think I am; but perhaps, if some of you have seen me on YouTube, you may have a close estimate.

----------

Wow. Now I feel like an elder. Oh well, looks like I'll have to start work on growing a long grey beard...

----------

I myself share the same birthday as the great Irish revolutionary Michael Collins.

No relevance, I just thought I'd mention that.

Am I not the only one to have thought you were 40 or something? xD

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
I have a guide coming like GameFreak348 mentioned, almost done but I've been extremely busy working at the school on the Yosemite transition. Was at work from 6:30am to 8pm tonight. Long long day.

But it'll be up the moment I can, promise :)

Speaking of IT work, I have been wanting to work for the IT dept. at my school, so I told a teacher about it... he says the main Mac IT guy is weird and that nobody likes to be around him. I am guessing I could try for the Windows IT dept., considering that would give me more work to do, but I will have to see.

I got a taste of that when I was apart of the film dept. xD The Windows PCs there are so annoying. Maybe I ought to post a picture I took of the room. Film was stressful, and I had to work from 3:20-9:30 after school for a festival, and the same for editing my last film.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Speaking of IT work, I have been wanting to work for the IT dept. at my school, so I told a teacher about it... he says the main Mac IT guy is weird and that nobody likes to be around him. I am guessing I could try for the Windows IT dept., considering that would give me more work to do, but I will have to see.

I got a taste of that when I was apart of the film dept. xD The Windows PCs there are so annoying. Maybe I ought to post a picture I took of the room. Film was stressful, and I had to work from 3:20-9:30 after school for a festival, and the same for editing my last film.

I asked my tech coordinator if I could go on one of his raid missions. By that I mean go with him and like 1 or two other guys and move tech from building to building, and whatever the company doesn't want, we get to keep it.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
I asked my tech coordinator if I could go on one of his raid missions. By that I mean go with him and like 1 or two other guys and move tech from building to building, and whatever the company doesn't want, we get to keep it.

There is a huge, new building on my campus that should be done this year. I think it's entirely replacing the current, busiest building; there will be, not only re-arranged electronic equipment, but also a couple new computer labs... That's maybe something I could ask about helping with. It seems, however, that the tech dept. at my school has a pretty closed system with enough help. Then again, I don't know much about the tech dept. here, other than the fact that they like tossing working computers.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
There is a huge, new building on my campus that should be done this year. I think it's entirely replacing the current, busiest building; there will be, not only re-arranged electronic equipment, but also a couple new computer labs... That's maybe something I could ask about helping with. It seems, however, that the tech dept. at my school has a pretty closed system with enough help. Then again, I don't know much about the tech dept. here, other than the fact that they like tossing working computers.

At my school, they have 3 computer teachers, and then one tech guy, which would be my tech coordinator. He personally takes care of everything, and I mean everything. Re-wiring the Internet, fixing everyone's computer, monitoring servers, fixing HDDs, upgrading computers, you name it, he does it. The tech department is extremely open; hence the fact that I get free computer from him. Also, they don't throw anything away... He has a whole closset full of Dell Optiplex 360s, so incase my server becomes popular and cannot run on just one computer, I can bungee cord multiple optiplexes together.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Re-wiring the Internet

Damn that sounds intense! Like, the whole lot?

----------

Am I not the only one to have thought you were 40 or something? xD

Glad to see I give off that impression :cool:

----------

Video editing on a PC? I hope you got proper counselling after such a traumatic experience? :( I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

----------

You guys are so lucky with tech people, im the only on in my school and everyone is like ew nerd

I'm in Computer Science in the top University in Ireland, and while there are plenty of Gamers and such, people with an interest in old stuff like PPCs, 68K Macs, or even IBM PCs, Commodores and Ataris are basically non existent. We aren't very plentiful it would seem.

Seriously, half the people doing COMPUTER SCIENCE couldn't tell me the specs of their own laptops...
And these are the shy quiet guys. I'm the one with the friends who are half 90's stoners and I know infinitely more about computer hardware, software and history than the introverts.

Luckily one of my professor's is a huge Apple collector and I've gotten a 17" Studio Display, Color StyleWriter 2500, and a MultipleScan 15 for free! His office is surrounded in PowerBooks, iBooks, Terminals, Cinema Displays, PPC's etc.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Damn that sounds intense! Like, the whole lot?

----------

Glad to see I give off that impression :cool:

----------

Video editing on a PC? I hope you got proper counselling after such a traumatic experience? :( I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

----------

I'm in Computer Science in the top University in Ireland, and while there are plenty of Gamers and such, people with an interest in old stuff like PPCs, 68K Macs, or even IBM PCs, Commodores and Ataris are basically non existent. We aren't very plentiful it would seem.

Seriously, half the people doing COMPUTER SCIENCE couldn't tell me the specs of their own laptops...
And these are the shy quiet guys. I'm the one with the friends who are half 90's stoners and I know infinitely more about computer hardware, software and history than the introverts.

Luckily one of my professor's is a huge Apple collector and I've gotten a 17" Studio Display, Color StyleWriter 2500, and a MultipleScan 15 for free! His office is surrounded in PowerBooks, iBooks, Terminals, Cinema Displays, PPC's etc.

Yeah... he was telling us that last summer, he replaced all the wires and routers throughout the whole school, and it's multiple buildings so he had to replace underground wires as well.

Trust me, I am probably the only person in the whole school who enjoys collecting PPC Macs or dying to get a 68k, or anything vintage. I love old stuff, because its the origins of everything we have today. I also, for that reason, love 80s tech. It really was the birth of modern technology, computers were becoming what they are today, video games were recovering... Also, there is a teacher here who is a HUGE apple fan. She has loads of Apple computers. I was talking to her one day about her LC II, and then we got into this huge discussion. She bought a completely maxed out floor model G5 from the local apple store (which is down the road ;)) and she said that she bought the AppleCare and then it stopped working after two years, so she got it replaced with an equally speced Mac Pro, which would have costed her $8,000 if she didn't have the AppleCare. I told her that if she ever needed to get rid of older stuff, to give it to me :D.

----------

You guys are so lucky with tech people, im the only on in my school and everyone is like ew nerd

lol, there are lots of nerds here, but most of the geeks, aren't very geeky, like myself lol. There is one kid in the tech club, who I find as a disgrace to the tech community. He brings parts of his computers in everyday and shows them to everyone and everyone is like wtf. He is also like completely messed up. He brought in thermal paste and was telling everyone that it was a drug. He also annoys all the older kids by going up to them and asking them strange questions. My friend and I think he is going to be the one that will bring a gun into school and shoot everyone, because he is just that messed up. No one likes him, and for some odd reason, he is obsessed with heat sinks and thinks that everything should have a heat sink attached to keep it cool. He is honestly just a disgrace to me.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Pretty awesome how much you guys are involved in your tech community. I currently live in Memphis, TN, and it is literally a technological black hole. Nashville (3 hrs east) is much better. Right now, I support a church's IT, I am literally their main IT guy, on call 24/7. I'm in the process of redoing their network. Fortunately, their machines are 99.9% Macs (oldest being a 2006 iMac, Intel) with ~2 PCs for compatibility. I just wish I had a 'club' of sorts to hang out with fellow computer guys. Nerd Herd. I do Skype people a lot, if you want my Skype, PM me, but its nothing amazing. Anyway, enough ranting.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Pretty awesome how much you guys are involved in your tech community. I currently live in Memphis, TN, and it is literally a technological black hole. Nashville (3 hrs east) is much better. Right now, I support a church's IT, I am literally their main IT guy, on call 24/7. I'm in the process of redoing their network. Fortunately, their machines are 99.9% Macs (oldest being a 2006 iMac, Intel) with ~2 PCs for compatibility. I just wish I had a 'club' of sorts to hang out with fellow computer guys. Nerd Herd. I do Skype people a lot, if you want my Skype, PM me, but its nothing amazing. Anyway, enough ranting.

Ask your school if you could start one. If you know people want to be part of it, the you should have no problem starting a club. Idk if your school does that, but mine does.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
At my school, they have 3 computer teachers, and then one tech guy, which would be my tech coordinator. He personally takes care of everything, and I mean everything. Re-wiring the Internet, fixing everyone's computer, monitoring servers, fixing HDDs, upgrading computers, you name it, he does it. The tech department is extremely open; hence the fact that I get free computer from him. Also, they don't throw anything away... He has a whole closset full of Dell Optiplex 360s, so incase my server becomes popular and cannot run on just one computer, I can bungee cord multiple optiplexes together.

Yeah, that's the ideal IT dept. to work at. My campus is large and there are several computers. IDK if the tech dept. is the most welcoming, but I can't say for sure. My school has like 32 acres worth of campus, and therefore so much staff people. It's difficult to carry things out like this. Hopefully I can help set up the labs in the new building. However, I feel as if this school has things under control already.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Yeah, that's the ideal IT dept. to work at. My campus is large and there are several computers. IDK if the tech dept. is the most welcoming, but I can't say for sure. My school has like 32 acres worth of campus, and therefore so much staff people. It's difficult to carry things out like this. Hopefully I can help set up the labs in the new building. However, I feel as if this school has things under control already.

You never know... At my school, once I installed the wireless network for my Eagle Scout Project they have me do work all the time.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
You never know... At my school, once I installed the wireless network for my Eagle Scout Project they have me do work all the time.

Fellow almost Eagle! For my project, I actually went to a community center in the ghetto and replaced their old, ancient machines (512MB, 60GB) with really nice Dell touchscreen AIOS.
Ask your school if you could start one. If you know people want to be part of it, the you should have no problem starting a club. Idk if your school does that, but mine does.

I'm homeschooled (couldn't you tell? hahah!)

But seriously, we need a computer eClub, this is too cool. A MacRumors official Minecraft Server, Just Cause 2?
Anyway, PM me if you need help, or people that added me on Skype, just IM me.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I hope your Board of Review goes well! Very nice project you got to do.

I was really lucky since my father works for Del :O. Are you an Eagle already? I just finished Personal Management, now I need to do Cooking, Citizenship of the Community and finish Citizenship of the Nation.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
Fellow almost Eagle! For my project, I actually went to a community center in the ghetto and replaced their old, ancient machines (512MB, 60GB) with really nice Dell touchscreen AIOS.

I'm homeschooled (couldn't you tell? hahah!)

But seriously, we need a computer eClub, this is too cool. A MacRumors official Minecraft Server, Just Cause 2?
Anyway, PM me if you need help, or people that added me on Skype, just IM me.

Hmm... I wonder if I could start such a club. However, it would probably attract '1337 g@m3rz'. I already have a geeky club that I am planning on joining---the Super Smash Bros. club.

And a MacRumors (PowerPC) Minecraft server would be awesome! It would be fun as a survival server, although we could also build our favorite PowerPC Macs in a creative area. (in addition to normal buildings).

----------

Yeah, I never know what may be in store. I guess I'll try and ask during next semester or something.

(and speaking of networks, the one we have is crazy... I would never want to work on it. Maybe it would be a cool thread idea to have people post pictures of their network set-ups and hold a competition on which ones are the most elaborate, messiest, etc.)

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I was really lucky since my father works for Del :O. Are you an Eagle already? I just finished Personal Management, now I need to do Cooking, Citizenship of the Community and finish Citizenship of the Nation.

Yes. I completed my project in September 2013 and had my Board of Review in January 2014.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Hmm... I wonder if I could start such a club. However, it would probably attract '1337 g@m3rz'. I already have a geeky club that I am planning on joining---the Super Smash Bros. club.

And a MacRumors (PowerPC) Minecraft server would be awesome! It would be fun as a survival server, although we could also build our favorite PowerPC Macs in a creative area. (in addition to normal buildings).

----------

Yeah, I never know what may be in store. I guess I'll try and ask during next semester or something.

(and speaking of networks, the one we have is crazy... I would never want to work on it. Maybe it would be a cool thread idea to have people post pictures of their network set-ups and hold a competition on which ones are the most elaborate, messiest, etc.)

Thats a really neat idea, it would also be cool to have an online club for us, maybe sometime in the future. My network setup is a bit zany. I have a router, a switch, and two main machines (Mac Pro and Gaming PC) and two servers (My rock solid hackintosh with OS X server and a Linux one for serving up my Minecraft server, deluge, Plex, etc). Its quite a sight to see.

Yes. I completed my project in September 2013 and had my Board of Review in January 2014.

Congrats man!

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I wonder how hard it would be for me to obtain another Dell and just drop of clone of my Linux onto it and run a server off of it. It would need some tweaking, but then I can host the PowerPC Server. Of course I'd be dedicating more time to 9430Craft, but I would look after it.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I wonder how hard it would be for me to obtain another Dell and just drop of clone of my Linux onto it and run a server off of it. It would need some tweaking, but then I can host the PowerPC Server. Of course I'd be dedicating more time to 9430Craft, but I would look after it.

If you plan on running two servers, you may have issues opening the ports to both. A way to circumvent this is to use a different port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.