Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BurnerET

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
So Im working on ripping all my blu rays to my hard drive, using my mac mini and a 3tb external hard drive. This is probably a simple question, but being as Im teaching myself how to do all this plus work/upgrade my mac via youtube, I haven't been able to figure a definitive answer yet. When I rip a blu ray using makemkv, currently Ill save the large file to a folder on my external hard drive. Once its complete, Ill take the file, say roughly 25gb, and use handbrake to convert and store the final product. My question is, when I finish and go to delete the original large makemkv file and trash it, does that permanently erase the 25gb file or does that still take up room on my hard drive? If it does, is there a way to permanently erase it completely.

**bonus question, my makemkv 30 day trial is fixing to expire. Do you have to buy the program after that, or does it just continue?

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
I believe Makemkv will continue to work for DVDs but not Blu-rays. I went ahead and purchased it and have no regrets. They frequently update the program.

Deleted files won't continue to take up space but if you're worried you can either delete your trash or the individual files in your trash.

As for your movie files, watch part of a movie or two to decide if you want to use the MKV format versus MP4/m4v. I like the MKV picture a lot better on my big screen but also keep an MP4 version for my mobile devices.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
So Im working on ripping all my blu rays to my hard drive, using my mac mini and a 3tb external hard drive. This is probably a simple question, but being as Im teaching myself how to do all this plus work/upgrade my mac via youtube, I haven't been able to figure a definitive answer yet. When I rip a blu ray using makemkv, currently Ill save the large file to a folder on my external hard drive. Once its complete, Ill take the file, say roughly 25gb, and use handbrake to convert and store the final product. My question is, when I finish and go to delete the original large makemkv file and trash it, does that permanently erase the 25gb file or does that still take up room on my hard drive? If it does, is there a way to permanently erase it completely.

**bonus question, my makemkv 30 day trial is fixing to expire. Do you have to buy the program after that, or does it just continue?

If you delete a file and empty your trash, the file will disappear and will not take up any room. This is true of MKV files as it is for all other file types.

**bonus: No, you don't need to buy a new version; just download the current MKV build and save the app over the old one.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
As a side note, but still relative to files taking up drive space...

I've set my backup programs (both CrashPlan and Time Machine) to ignore my folders that store temporary video files. This way I am not hogging up space on the Time Capsule with files I would never need to restore. And more importantly. I don't want CrashPlan continuously uploading those huge and useless files.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
While MakeMKV is in Beta you can get free trial keys to renew the trial endlessly until the beta is over (this is official and not a scam). Ideally, you should purchase a full license if you really like and continue to use the software (I have), but here is a link to their official forum thread for the updated trial key: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
It has been in Beta from day 1 and still is. With the 2-month trial key. Quite long test, I'd say ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.