Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tycoonguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
Local Apple Store
I'm sorry but I havn't been following the news on the mini. The guide shows update soon. My brother wants a new computer so he ordered a mini. Should I cancel it and wait for an update? If He waits what upgrades are expected?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
The mini is expected to be updated at the same time as the iMac (especially given Intel's push away from the 65nm chips currently used in both). The iMac is expected to be updated on Tuesday, so the mini should wither be updated (or God forbid, killed) either this Tuesday or next Tuesday. Apple seems to be trying to do some sort of announcement every Tuesday this year, so we'll see what happens next.

TEG

MacFanBoyIIe

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Don't feel bad :(

It should be updated soon :eek:

I agree and I'm waiting too. The Mini is WAY overpriced right now for the outdated technology inside the box. As soon as a new update comes out I'm ordering one, with all the bells and whistles. I've even got a Newer Tech V3 external enclosure to sit underneath the Mini and be the Time Machine drive for it. Oh, I hope it's this Tuesday.....

rfruth

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2007
Texas
A graphics card would be nice along with some processing (CPU) power, why does the Mini get treated like the redheaded stepchild - Isn't the idea to get people hooked on OS X ? (I am)

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
A graphics card would be nice along with some processing (CPU) power, why does the Mini get treated like the redheaded stepchild - Isn't the idea to get people hooked on OS X ? (I am)

err bingo you just said why, its market share is the smallest of the range.

until one of the other companies brings out a mini Pc that is cheaper, superior and sells well, Steve doesnt need to pay the mini much attension

Zygon Gambit

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
England
I really hope it gets upgraded. I need a new computer soon, and as money is an issue with me, the mini is the way I'm planning to go. I hope it's not killed off.

elcid

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2007

Because it is a mac for less then a grand? It is always going to be last.

2.0-2.2 SR x3100. The only realistic mac mini upgrade. If it happens.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
2.0-2.2 SR x3100. The only realistic mac mini upgrade. If it happens.

I agree.. The mini will never be ahead of the pack in anything. I even doubt it will get penryn at this update (if indeed it happens). I really hope they won't cancel it though, I'm ready to get one as soon as a SR mini comes out.

Zygon Gambit

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
England
I agree.. The mini will never be ahead of the pack in anything. I even doubt it will get penryn at this update (if indeed it happens). I really hope they won't cancel it though, I'm ready to get one as soon as a SR mini comes out.
Sorry to possibly be dumb, but what is "SR"?

Lord Zedd

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Denver, Colorado
An actual dedicated graphics system is all I'd want out of an update. I don't care about the CPU, it can always be upgraded as long as they don't solder it to the board.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
I agree and I'm waiting too. The Mini is WAY overpriced right now for the outdated technology inside the box. As soon as a new update comes out I'm ordering one, with all the bells and whistles. I've even got a Newer Tech V3 external enclosure to sit underneath the Mini and be the Time Machine drive for it. Oh, I hope it's this Tuesday.....

The sad thing is, knowing Apple, it will STILL be way overpriced for the upgrade it would likely get. :eek:

elcid

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2007
An actual dedicated graphics system is all I'd want out of an update. I don't care about the CPU, it can always be upgraded as long as they don't solder it to the board.

Not going to happen. Keep the Mac Pro and the Mini separate, just like they do with the MB and the MBP. The mini gets old MB parts, it will never have a dedicated graphics.

enigmatut

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
MA
just give me ANY update

Not going to happen. Keep the Mac Pro and the Mini separate, just like they do with the MB and the MBP. The mini gets old MB parts, it will never have a dedicated graphics.

I don't care so much about dedicated graphics so much as I care about updated graphics. This is all I'm looking for (and the only reasons I'm holding off on getting a Mini):
- better graphics (even if onboard with share memory)
- proc bump
- support for 4gig RAM (possible with a bump to the next higher C2D chipset)

Basically I'm looking for the same specs as the previous gen of MacBook.
Too much to ask?? When, Apple, WHEN!!??
:)

MacFanBoyIIe

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
I don't care so much about dedicated graphics so much as I care about updated graphics. This is all I'm looking for (and the only reasons I'm holding off on getting a Mini):
- proc bump

Basically I'm looking for the same specs as the previous gen of MacBook.
Too much to ask?? When, Apple, WHEN!!??
:)

I think you will get what you are asking for. Just a hunch.

PNW

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007

How does putting a dedicated GPU in the mini make it part of the Mac Pro line? You could drop a Bose system in a Bug and no one would confuse it with a Mercedes.

Is it so inconceivable that the mini splits into a base model with on board graphics and a second tier with a GPU? Yes I realize that would require a larger footprint, but then the appleTV, time machine and mini could all have the same footprint.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
- proc bump

I'd like to see a dedicated graphics card because I use Aperture. But Apple doesn't like people like me because we don't usually buy ACDs to go with our Minis. I'll also take the 8 gig RAM max.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
It's strange that the mini has [POS] integrated gfx while the AppleTV has a dedicated [although also POS by today's standards] gfx (it's a nVidia 7300 with 64MB RAM fyi)

Cave Man

macrumors 604
It's strange that the mini has [POS] integrated gfx while the AppleTV has a dedicated [although also POS by today's standards] gfx (it's a nVidia 7300 with 64MB RAM fyi)

The ATV has dedicated gpu for one reason - hardware decoding of H.264 video. I don't know of any integrated gpus that can do that. The 950 has MPEG-2 decoding built in, which is why it plays DVDs so well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.