Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crontab

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
I was just looking at the miniStack v3 (here) and was wondering if anyone expects an eSATA and/or firewire 800 ports on any upcoming Mini updates?

gwerhart0800

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Loveland, CO
I think the collective wisdom of the long time Mac people is FW800. There are those of us that are ever hopeful that an eSata connection might show up, but based on all of the conversation on this topic, it is highly doubtful. (I already own a bunch of eSata enclosures ... RAID in a box stuff.)

stukdog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
If they add the FW800 then they'll have to get rid of something else on the back. (They got rid of the cable modem jack to put in the extra USB ports.)

iFizz

macrumors regular
This may be the unpopular answer you aren't looking for. I don't see either port making its way to the MacMini. The MacMini has always had the same kinds of ports as the low-end MacBook. Do you really thing that Mr. Jobs (who doesn't even like the MacMini) would put eSATA or FW800 on the MacMini before the MacBook? Not likely. Sorry.

statler

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
I would second the addition on FW800.

Not all mini users are switchers or low-end buyers. The mini is also a good choice for semi-pro or hobbyist music makers, video editors, photographers, etc. who want the flexibility of a modular system but not the expense, size, or power consumption of a Mac Pro.

For example, I am an amateur musician and do a lot of recording. I recently bought Logic Pro. I'd like to get a mini as the hub of my project studio. I don't want an iMac because my studio would be better ergonomically with a separate monitor (I want to use an ergotron arm to suspend it above my recording desk). I don't need the size and bulk of a Mac Pro. The mini is basically the best option, except right now it maxes out at 3GB of RAM (not good for media apps). Faster firewire would be nice for streaming audio to disk.

So I've been eagerly awaiting an update to the mini. I am hopeful that Steve Jobs doesn't do something drastic like get rid of the optical drive (try loading all 7 discs in Logic Pro without one!) or, god forbid, dropping the firewire port (that's a deal breaker for digital audio). I hope he just updates the current mini with a faster chip, more RAM, 802.11n, and as a bonus FW800 would be nice. If they do that, Apple will have my money in a heartbeat.

</s>

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Do you really thing that Mr. Jobs (who doesn't even like the MacMini) would put eSATA or FW800 on the MacMini before the MacBook? Not likely. Sorry.

Has he publicly said he doesn't like it?

Anyway, I can't see eSATA. But FW800 would be nice and they'll probably charge for the 800 to 400 converter cable.

crontab

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Well, if you're willing to pull your internal drive, it'd be just a $7 cable to give you eSATA. You could also use this with a port multiplier, which are now down to about $50 for 4 ports. I'm thinking about this myself...

Cave Man, would you point me to where there are details on doing this? After looking at your setup, I would like to couple the mini with the miniStack v3 via eSATA. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.