Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ptasker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
London
Having recently taken the plunge to apple from PC I have been impressed with the UI as well as the beautiful design, lack of wires etc.

As part of my system I have connected an LCD TV into the mini-vga port on th G5 but when this is plugged in the display on the apple screen reduces in size, only getting back to normal when the plug is removed. (the display on the LCD TV is perfect)

To save having to keep plugging in and un plugging is there anything I can do ?
:confused:

NaMo4184

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2005
Screenn Spaning doctor

That is because you are using mirrored view. This means both displays are the same image. Powerbooks and Powermacs have screen spanning or what ever its called.

You can get this through a hack called screen spanning doctor (search at http://www.macupdate.com).

This will void your warranty though. So if you don't have Apple care just wait a year till your warranty is up. If you do have apple care... Your out of luck curtis of Apple.

armandocerna

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2004
Chico, CA
True, it voids your warranty but it is reversible you can zap the pram on the machine if you ever have any problems on it and the hack will go away.

I have used the screen spanning doctor on my ibook and I have a second desktop spanned onto an LCD for work and I have never had any problems. Just make sure you get the latest version of the screen spanning doctor utility and make sure that it will run on your computer.

ptasker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
London
Screen Spanning

Thanks for the advice. Have tried the screen spanning doctor and it works well. The only trouble I now have is that I have to manually choose which display I want the menu's on. This is a bit of a pain in that the TV plugged in to the mini VGA is in another part of the house. It has an RF keyboard and mouse linked to the imac with the idea being I could just change it's input and use the mac.

It is OK in as much as the mac screen is now 'full' at 1440 x 900 and so is the TV (display) at 1360 x 768 but when in the TV room and switch to VGA input can't do anything because can't see menus !

I'm kinda halfway there and may be missing something simple - any further tips would be greatly appreciated ! :eek:

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I think mirroring it the best option in this case. What Apple needs to do is make there be an option to "Stop 2nd Display" or something similar under the Displays Menu Extra - mainly because many games I have don't play nice with a 2nd Display (NWN for example). Instead of unplugging it'd be easier to click the icon and "Stop 2nd Display."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.