Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bedawyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2003
Asheville, NC
Argh! Darn Apple and their configuration changes. I'm about to buy a Mac Mini, but I need a modem. I'll get broadband soon, but not quite yet, and even when I have it, I can't imagine not having a backup way to connect. But Apple's new Minis don't come with an internal modem.

Now, I have a chance to get the Mini I want for a good price, but I have to make sure it has a modem. My understanding is that the new modem-less configurations only came out Wednesday, and that previous versions still had it. I outright asked the seller "Is this with or without the modem?" He said with, which is what I expected. But then he came back later and said he was wrong, it was without.

But ... if the modemless configuration is brand-new, so new the Apple USB modem isn't even findable yet in Apple stores or online, how did the seller get one? My local Apple store says they won't have any of the new products until next week. The seller says it's a M9687LL/B, which I'm finding listed on the web both with and without modems. Help! When did the modems vanish, and how old is the M9687LL/B, or have they really got different configurations with the same number? Is this Mini likely to have a modem or not, or is the seller just too confused to buy from anyway? (I already know I'm confused. *sigh* Even giving Apple my money has become harder than it used to be.)

JupiterTwo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2003
GB
Isn't the modem still available as a Build To Order option on the Mini's? (still is at the UK Apple Online store

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
According to apple.com all of the mini's have the option of coming with the 56k modem. Currently on their site, only the 1.25GHz mini (the bottom of the line model) comes with 56K modem standard, all other mini's only have the option of having a 56k internal modem (+29$US). So most likely if you are looking at a mini sold else where(Which I assume you are) The only reason it wouldn't have a modem is if it wasn't specifically asked for when shipped to that store. So if you need a modem that badly, I would suggest you find a mini that does have the 56k modem and skip this one if it doesn't. To find out postitively if it has a modem I would call and ask the seller/store for sure, and ask for some sort of guarentee that it is included if not search somewhere else for you mini.

Bedawyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2003
Asheville, NC
tzibo said:
Isn't the modem still available as a Build To Order option on the Mini's? (still is at the UK Apple Online store

Yeah, it is... for quite a bit more money than I'd be paying for this one. ;-)

Bedawyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2003
Asheville, NC
tag said:
So if you need a modem that badly, I would suggest you find a mini that does have the 56k modem and skip this one if it doesn't.
Unfortunately, it's pretty hard to find one that includes the modem AND Bluetooth/Airport, which I also need. That's what I expected this one to be, thinking it was the last version before this week.

This is a third-party seller, and what has me confused is, if the new modemless models are so new they're not in the Bethesda Apple store yet, how did this seller get one in his hands? Or were the 1.42 models modemless before this week and I just didn't notice?

tag said:
The only reason it wouldn't have a modem is if it wasn't specifically asked for when shipped to that store.
Now you've confused me even more with those double negatives. :p

I'm leaning toward getting it anyway -- if nothing changes, getting this and buying the Apple external modem will still be cheaper than getting a BTO from Apple. Except that the Apple external modem isn't actually buyable yet. I'm just worried that the seller isn't quite sure what he's selling.

AMENDED: I was confused. The modemless models are older than I thought.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Bedawyn said:
I'm leaning toward getting it anyway -- if nothing changes, getting this and buying the Apple external modem will still be cheaper than getting a BTO from Apple. Except that the Apple external modem isn't actually buyable yet. I'm just worried that the seller isn't quite sure what he's selling.
Don't forget to add a USB hub to your shipping list. 2 USB ports = no room at the inn for keyboard, modem and printer...

Bedawyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2003
Asheville, NC
CanadaRAM said:
Don't forget to add a USB hub to your shipping list. 2 USB ports = no room at the inn for keyboard, modem and printer...
:eek: Thanks for pointing that out. I should have just got the Mini earlier in the summer, but I didn't actually need it then, and I wanted to see what they released at Paris before spending the money. Now it turns out the newer models are actually a downgrade in the things I care about... *sigh*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.