Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
The Mini's on "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle"

I'm kinda regretting buying it now... I'm glad I bought the Mini instead of the MBP at this point in the product cycle.

Hmmmmmm... anyone know what I mean?

I've noticed everything but two Apple products are Neutral or the product cycle's about to end...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

I'm kinda regretting buying it now... I'm glad I bought the Mini instead of the MBP at this point in the product cycle.
What difference does it make? Does the mini meet your needs? If so, enjoy it! Chasing product cycles or next releases is a futile effort. No matter what model or when you buy, there will be a newer model coming around the corner. There's no need to always have the latest model. My MBP is approaching 4 years old and I've never upgraded to a newer model, because I don't need to. This MBP does everything I need it to do, so why worry about a newer model, until this one no longer meets my needs? Do you also buy a new car every time they release a newer model?

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
What difference does it make? Does the mini meet your needs? If so, enjoy it! Chasing product cycles or next releases is a futile effort. No matter what model or when you buy, there will be a newer model coming around the corner. There's no need to always have the latest model. My MBP is approaching 4 years old and I've never upgraded to a newer model, because I don't need to. This MBP does everything I need it to do, so why worry about a newer model, until this one no longer meets my needs? Do you also buy a new car every time they release a newer model?
Yeah true, it's just nice to have the newest thing I guess. I do know what you mean though.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Take "buy only if you need it" literally. Did you NEED it right now? If so, then there is no point in buyer's remorse.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
having 2 mini's, I wish I had waited on my 1st one being a late 2010 core duo 2 server. I bought myself a i5 mini for xmas and am amazed at how much faster it is at HTPC applications than my other one. plus it was almost half the cost of the server.

but im not one to wait around when I want to get something....

no remorse here

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Sometimes waiting can hurt you. I bought a mini early last year at the time I needed one, just before the Mid 2011 model was released. As a result, I have one with the built-in optical drive, which was discontinued in the next model. Since I use mine as a media center, that worked out perfectly, since I no longer need my DVD player.

MadDragon1846

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
I'll only have buyers remorse if the next minis run a lot cooler.

Performance wise, I love the mini. But if I try watching a blu ray rip, the cpu will be in the high 80s, and when using handbrake, it goes up to around 96c!. The cpu while typing this is at 55c, and thats like what PCs are at when gaming lol (my mini sits around 75c while playing Flatout 2)

They might be "normal" temps for the minis, but I'v always been a PC user until recently, so these temps scare me! :p

If the new minis are a lot cooler, I might have to get 1, just so it's a lot less stressful when using it lol.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
They might be "normal" temps for the minis, but I'v always been a PC user until recently, so these temps scare me! :p
No need to be scared, as those temps are quite normal. The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
Apple Portables: Operating temperature

As for the Flash issue:

MadDragon1846

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
@GGJstudios

I'v been using istat (love seeing the stats via my iPod touch, lol). :D

That click to flash sounds good!. I'll have to give that a try. :)

For the fan, I'm finding it waits a bit long before revving up! it's like it waits until the last minute before it really starts going. Then it's spinning so fast, it sounds scary! :eek: Then the temps go back down to around 70c, and then the fan slowly decreases speed again. *phew*

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
@GGJstudios

I'v been using istat (love seeing the stats via my iPod touch, lol). :D

That click to flash sounds good!. I'll have to give that a try. :)

For the fan, I'm finding it waits a bit long before revving up! it's like it waits until the last minute before it really starts going. Then it's spinning so fast, it sounds scary! :eek: Then the temps go back down to around 70c, and then the fan slowly decreases speed again. *phew*
The fan doesn't rev up every time the temps spike. They have to be sustained at a high level before the fan spins up. Sometimes it will spin up when temps don't seem that high. Not to worry, because your Mac knows what's needed to keep temps in a safe operating range.

Biff...

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA.
having 2 mini's, I wish I had waited on my 1st one being a late 2010 core duo 2 server. I bought myself a i5 mini for xmas and am amazed at how much faster it is at HTPC applications than my other one. plus it was almost half the cost of the server.

no remorse here

Thats funny you mention that, because I did the same thing. Bought a late 2010 mini, for a htpc, then decided to buy myself a second one for xmas. I use my first one as a time machine/media server/guest wifi router. The 2nd mini is my dedicated HTPC. I justified my purchases by cutting my cable and saving $100 a month.

No regrets, I"m enjoying both my mini's.

kvizzel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wait so a mini refresh is around the corner?

Anyways if you needed it and enjoy it, why buyers remorse...

You don't always have to have the "newest up-to date" product...

Pyrhonen

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2011
I'll probably just do the Apple Recycling program if at some point if I really want to get the newer version of the mini. They don't pay you the full price, but depending on the condition of your machine they make you an offer. :D

eutexian

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
Mapperley, Nottingham UK
I tend to make things last until they become redundant.. or happen to break and cannot be repaired.

Thus.. this is the third computer i have owned since 1997.

When the mac mini cannot do something I 'need' it to do I'll replace it. just as happened way back in time when the pc was running win95 (then 98) but was incapable of taking XP... and I needed XP because I wanted software that wouldn't run on an antique. :eek:

how long will this take to happen with this mini... A Long time, with any luck. I've had 7 years per computer... good going eh?

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
The beauty of owning the mini is that you can change out the Mini and monitor at your leisure. Max out the Ram and you can sell for almost what you bought it for. Maybe lose $200 max. Buy another one and add $200 and you have yourself a new mini.

Weather it's a imac, mini, MacBook Pro etc. You only have to make the initial investment upfront. I update every other year some times every year for home use.

5aga

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2003
Gig City

no remorse here

Yeah same here. I love the new Mini's. They really are a good value. I waited around for the i5 this year and I certainly don't regret it.

frank4

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011

MacRumors Buying Guide says it is 177 days into an average 356 day upgrade cycle, so it might be another 6 months before a refresh comes out. It's probably unlikely a new one is coming really soon, so enjoy your Mini (like me).

I got mine about 3 months ago when the refurbs became available.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
MacRumors Buying Guide says it is 177 days into an average 356 day upgrade cycle, so it might be another 6 months before a refresh comes out. It's probably unlikely a new one is coming really soon, so enjoy your Mini (like me).

I got mine about 3 months ago when the refurbs became available.
Yeah, it's the best computer I have ever owned. I have had zero problems with it.

How much did you pay for your Mini just out of interest? :)

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
Thats funny you mention that, because I did the same thing. Bought a late 2010 mini, for a htpc, then decided to buy myself a second one for xmas. I use my first one as a time machine/media server/guest wifi router. The 2nd mini is my dedicated HTPC. I justified my purchases by cutting my cable and saving $100 a month.

No regrets, I"m enjoying both my mini's.

problem is now I want a 3rd....lol. my mancave could use a mini....but I keep telling myself i can just plug my MBP to the tv if I really need to. already have 2 ATV2's and a PS3 down there, and just ran HDMI over cat6 from my upstairs DVR to the 2 tv's in the basement so I can watch local stations down there.

I dont think I can ever cut the cable 100 percent, but I can sure not let them nickle and dime me for every box and every lame channel package they want to sell you.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
"Buy it only if you need it" really applies at any time in the sales life cycle. There will always be something new coming out later. As long as what you have serves your needs you will be fine.

frank4

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah, it's the best computer I have ever owned. I have had zero problems with it.

How much did you pay for your Mini just out of interest? :)

Paid $519 for returb base Mini, normal new price was $599. They don't seem to discount the Mini as much as the MacBook and iMac.

It arrived flawless which is what I hoped for, from reading of other people's experience with Apple refurbs. In retrospect, there is a small risk in buying a refurb Mini, but I think the the worst that the original owner could have done is try a few days of heavy duty gaming which might have roasted the CPU.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
As a side note, the buyer's guide on MacRumors is based on averages for product releases and is only approximate in predicting refreshes, for example the Mac Pro has been on "don't buy" for ages now , but that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it under any circumstances, also when it said "approaching the end of a cycle" for the Mac Pro it wasn't actually true as it had many days ahead of it at that stage (earlier 2011). So use that information to influence your buying decision not determine it.

Biff...

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA.
problem is now I want a 3rd....lol. my mancave could use a mini....but I keep telling myself i can just plug my MBP to the tv if I really need to. already have 2 ATV2's and a PS3 down there, and just ran HDMI over cat6 from my upstairs DVR to the 2 tv's in the basement so I can watch local stations down there.

I dont think I can ever cut the cable 100 percent, but I can sure not let them nickle and dime me for every box and every lame channel package they want to sell you.

Sounds like a familiar mancave setup, except I have 2 Roku's. I was just like you on cutting cable, took me four years from the time I heard the idea to actually doing it. Before cutting the cable I kept a journal of what we watched, and the channels viewed the most. Turns out the same channels kept coming up, ESPN, History, Fox, Military Channel, Discovery, Nick Jr, and Bravo for the wife.

I found out I could get 90% of my stuff on Hulu,Netflix,Amazon and itunes for the rare shows I actually wanted to buy. So I went for it, gave myself a two month test period just in case, almost a year later and I haven't looked back.

Hmm a 3rd MacMini sounds interesting. :D

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
Sounds like a familiar mancave setup, except I have 2 Roku's. I was just like you on cutting cable, took me four years from the time I heard the idea to actually doing it. Before cutting the cable I kept a journal of what we watched, and the channels viewed the most. Turns out the same channels kept coming up, ESPN, History, Fox, Military Channel, Discovery, Nick Jr, and Bravo for the wife.

I found out I could get 90% of my stuff on Hulu,Netflix,Amazon and itunes for the rare shows I actually wanted to buy. So I went for it, gave myself a two month test period just in case, almost a year later and I haven't looked back.

Hmm a 3rd MacMini sounds interesting. :D

For me it's speed hd, velocity, cars.tv, and a few others. Most I can't get online.

Between fios, pandora, Netflix, xm, and iTunes, I have more media than any one person could ever consume. Lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.