Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ketsjap

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
Does anyone know if you can play downloaded Netflix (or Disney+ / Apple TV+ / ...) content on your MacBook Air when downloaded to your iPhone?

Some context: I'm deciding between buying an iPad Pro 11 with magic keyboard, and a MacBook Air. Both have pro's and con's. One con for the Macbook is that Netflix & co. don't have apps. You have to use their website.

I use public transportation a lot, with bad reception, and like to watch tv-series. On my previous iPad Pro (which got stolen) I downloaded shows to watch. On the Macbook you can't download shows for offline watching.

But I was thinking: is it possible to download a show via the Netflix app on my iPhone, setup a hotspot, and Airplay the show to a Macbook-screen? Can this be done? And what would the video & audio quality be?

Any thoughts?

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Reactions: chabig

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
not tried it myself but seen suggestion that Playcover app allows you to run iOS apps in a wrapper a bit like Crossover does for Windows apps, and that people use it successfully for netflix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.