Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thesdx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
I recently installed Final Cut Express 3, and when I opened it, it told me I was missing an AGP graphics card. I went online, and found that I had to install an update. I installed the update through Software Update, rebooted, and fired up Final Cut. I still got the error. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Edit: Sorry, I ment to post this in Digital Video.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
In Finder go to the Final Cut application, right click and choose "Show Package Contents" From there find the file "Info.plist". Open it in Text Edit (or Property List Editor if you have Developer tools installed. Find the string that says AGP, and change AGP to PCI.

That should work for you.

djhasti

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2009
It Works

Thanks to Benjamindaines. I had the same question after just recently moving our Final Cut Express app to a newer iMac. It was looking for the AGP graphics card, but this little edit in TextEdit did the trick.

FrauBehrens

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2009
Hello,
I changed the AGP string to PCI which worked but I'm still getting a configuration error... now it says
'this software requires certain hardware or software which is missing
- power Macintosh G4/350 megahertz(MHz) or faster'

Can anybody help me with this? I just got a new Mac pro so the computer can't be the problem...?

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Having a similar problem... I'm trying to run Final Cut Pro 3, but I keep getting an error saying it needs an AGP graphics card. The only option it gives me is to quit. Any ideas?

courtneycameron

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2010
I got Final Cut Express :D and it is saying that I am missing a AGP graphics :( card... I read through what people wrote on here so and someone said they needed an update :confused: so I got the update for it. I re-opened it and still not working.. :mad: I read through more about what happened to people with their Final Cut Express and read I had to press "Open Contents" :rolleyes: and then press the file "Info.plist" except it won't let me "open contents" :eek: it just says "open" but when I click that it says that i need a AGP graphics card... :mad: Help me please? :eek:
:p

jtc0618

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2010
hello...i tried the suggestion, but I couldn't find any agp strings...any ideas?

fingirl

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2010
no luck

In Finder go to the Final Cut application, right click and choose "Show Package Contents" From there find the file "Info.plist". Open it in Text Edit (or Property List Editor if you have Developer tools installed. Find the string that says AGP, and change AGP to PCI.

I tried this but to no avail. When I make this change and try to start the application I get an "Unexpectedly quit" error. I am wanting to use my Final Cut Express 3.0 on my new iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Will it be possible?

Last edited:

AdamGC

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2011
Simple hack hasn't worked....

I tried this but to no avail. When I make this change and try to start the application I get an "Unexpectedly quit" error. I am wanting to use my Final Cut Express 3.0 on my new iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Will it be possible?

I'm having the exact same experience as fingirl. I tried replacing AGP with PCI. and then I tried deleteing the line that says "requiredAGPdevice." I'm still getting the same "Unexpectedly quit" error message.

AdamGC

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2011
Scratch that

O.K so I fixed my problem by deleting all Final Cut Pro folders, and reinstalling the program. After that I went into the "infoplist" and manually changed the one reference to "AGP" that I saw and changed it to PCI. THe time before that I used the "find" function to find AGP and replace all references with PCI, but I think when I did that I accidentally introduced new code.
After that, I saved, restarted and it WORKED!!! HURAYY. Now I gotta figure out how to import these flip cam files....

MacSinceDayOne

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
Ben

Ben I don't know what to say.. I'd given up.. I've been struggling with iMovie for so long... I finally did a search and low and behold, problem SOLVED!

However... the text in the "Browser" window looks as if it's crossed out by a permanent marker. When I click an icon to move it I can see "Sequence 1" in the ethereal image, but I let go and can't read it again... But hey, it works!! That's what matters for now. Thank you Ben. You just saved me a LOT of time, effort, money, and tears :)

hamiltonmiddle

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
Madison,WI
AGP changed to PCI and still doesn't work

I used the plist edit and changed it to PCI, now I get the error
"Configuration error This software requires certain hardware or software which is missing. Power Macintosh G4/350- mhz, or faster"

This is on a Power Mac G5 Quad
Model Identifier: PowerMac11,2
Processor Name: PowerPC G5 (1.1)
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 4
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.25 GHz

Any suggestions? Thanks

Davideo2

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
Thank you!

Worked like magic. After I learned to Control-click as a right button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.