Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
Well, I'm very excited to get iLife '04. All of the apps look great and GB is just what I was looking for (Soundtrack Express and more!).

But, I can't believe that they didn't add calendars to iPhoto. The books are great, but they are expensive. It would be nice to be able to use the same layout tools to design a 12 month calendar and have it printed by Kodak. I really thought this was going to be added...

I'm also upset that the 4x6 prints are still $.49. I may have to start uploading more and more images to ofoto.com just to get the $.29 price. Or maybe take the memory card to Walgreens.

One last item, does anyone know if you can now print wallet sized pics at home? The 2x3 offered is not a standard wallet.

CMYanko

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
I always found printing to be a weakness of iPhoto in general. I turned to ImageBuddy but haven't used it much yet except to do a collage.

In particular I don't like that iPhoto will scale-to-fit an image for my 4x6's which almost always gives me an unwanted extra border on two of the sides. To do it right you have to crop with a constraint. My old HP printing software would just auto-crop the long side to fit my 4x6. I could push it around a little to choose which part to crop but it was painless and easy.

Lincoln

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2003
UK
No Support for Quicktime Movies

Most Digital Cameras today have the ability for Short Quicktime or mpeg movies. Yet Iphoto still does not support them, the "inferior" competitor Adobe Photoshop Album (currently version 2) on the PC has had this from version 1.

Apple invented Quicktime, I'm sure that they could come up with an intuitive way to get these images of the camera and then organise them in iPhoto, maybe even linking the movies to iMovie or Quicktime Player

I would much rather use iPhoto to do the lot than use it for the stills and then the cameras software for the movies.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Re: No Support for Quicktime Movies

Originally posted by Lincoln
Most Digital Cameras today have the ability for Short Quicktime or mpeg movies. Yet Iphoto still does not support them, the "inferior" competitor Adobe Photoshop Album (currently version 2) on the PC has had this from version 1.

Apple invented Quicktime, I'm sure that they could come up with an intuitive way to get these images of the camera and then organise them in iPhoto, maybe even linking the movies to iMovie or Quicktime Player

I would much rather use iPhoto to do the lot than use it for the stills and then the cameras software for the movies.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Apple to add video clip support to iPhoto. iPhoto is for pictures. The video clips from digicams can be imported with Image Capture.

iMovie may or may not import these clips perfectly. If they are Quicktime encoded clips, then they'll probably import right into iMovie. If they are mpeg's chances are you'll have to de-mux them first. Either way, it is possible to get the video clips onto your Mac and into iMovie.

BTW, Quicktime Player should be able to play the video clips that your camera generates. If it doesn't, the problem lies in the format that your camera is using.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
FYI...

i have canon s230. it takes .avi movie clips. once imported using image capture, it plays fine with QT and can also be imported into iMovie...

however, i second that iPhoto should incorporate something to import movie clip. iphoto itself doesn't have to organize the clips, but it would help to have a small link or an option to launch image capture so i won't have to use both "explicitly" to download the movies... just a thought, because small movie clip is a very popular feature of the digital cameras now. iphoto is for pictures... yeah, but i think i iphoto should be for digital camera management in general, to keep up with the times now...

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by jxyama
FYI...

however, i second that iPhoto should incorporate something to import movie clip. iphoto itself doesn't have to organize the clips, but it would help to have a small link or an option to launch image capture so i won't have to use both "explicitly" to download the movies... just a thought, because small movie clip is a very popular feature of the digital cameras now. iphoto is for pictures... yeah, but i think i iphoto should be for digital camera management in general, to keep up with the times now...

This is a good point. All they really need to do is have iphoto (or imovie) also check for video clips when the camera is plugged in. Then up pops a dialog which says something like "iphoto[imovie] has detected a video clip on your camera. would you like to import this into [imovie/iphoto]?" That's a real digital hub for you--do it without having to fool around.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
All this talk about importing movies from digicams reminded me of my other big missing feature....import directly from scanners!

The new iPhoto page says:
"In iPhoto, it’s as easy as ABC to import, organize, enhance and share your digitally scanned photographs."

What exactly does this mean? Will iPhoto find my scanner as an import device? Or is it still a multi-step process where I scan in from my scanner software (or Image Capture) and then import files manually into iPhoto?

Any clues?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Originally posted by sigamy
All this talk about importing movies from digicams reminded me of my other big missing feature....import directly from scanners!

The new iPhoto page says:
"In iPhoto, it’s as easy as ABC to import, organize, enhance and share your digitally scanned photographs."

What exactly does this mean? Will iPhoto find my scanner as an import device? Or is it still a multi-step process where I scan in from my scanner software (or Image Capture) and then import files manually into iPhoto?

Any clues?
Yeah, I forgot about the scanner thing. Jobs did gloss over that during the Keynote, I think. It would be nice to be able to scan in a bunch of photos and have it come up as a roll. Right now, I'm scanning in a bunch of photos into Photoshop Elements and it's very tedious. Elements really eats into the processor cycles and leaves very little to do other things.

BTW, is your screen name in reference to the Sagami restaurant in Collingswood?

GlenT

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2004
The Real missing features in iPhoto

RAW camera file support! All Digital SLRs use this format and iPhoto provides no support for such files. iPhoto should display a preview of the RAW files and open the chosen program to convert or process the RAW file and then create a new Album of Processed images.

When iPhoto was first released it was revolutionary. The few improvements made since its original release is an insult to those who first conceived the program.

I prefer iphoto's interface to other products, but I think that they could take a cue from iView Media Pro and Portfolio by Extensis to add support for RAW files.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
4x6 prints are now $.39...not bad, I guess there has to be some mark-up for the convience of not having to upload images to ofoto or some other site.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
I'm just glad to have the archive .... that was my second order of busines after installing ...

I don't buy prints so thats not a feature ... I also have the s230 and I've never been impressed with the video feature so i don't use it much

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
video will burn out the sensor.
CCDs are meant for short bursts. Even sucessive multi-fps shooting leaves enough time in between frames for the CCD to recover for the next shot.

Video does no such thing - very very bad.

CMOS chips are a little better but I would still reccomend against it. But then the only real CMOS chips are in top-of-the-line Canons. Those guys have DVCAM cameras so using their little 640x480 AU$10,000 digital camera is not what they do.

EDIT: spelling

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by benixau
video will burn out the sensor.
CCDs are meant for short bursts. Even sucessive multi-fps shooting leaves enough time in between frames for the CCD to recover for the next shot.

Video does no such thing - very very bad.

CMOS chips are a little better but I would still reccomend against it. But then the only real CMOS chips are in top-of-the-line Canons. Those guys have DVCAM cameras so using their little 640x480 AU$10,000 digital camera is not what they do.

EDIT: spelling

Your post is very confusing. How can shooting video be bad for a CCD? Video cameras use CCDs.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.