Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryvius

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2004
I've seen a few comments about this. My screw fell out from the lower right hand corner of my Powrebook. I actually just returned from the Apple store where they replaced a fizzled out battery and informed me the only way to fix the screw was to send it into Apple HQ for 7-14 days.

For one screw. Puts me out of commision for two weeks. Amazing.

Anyway, found some parts on 3rd party sites. Namely PB Fix It and PB Tech .

I figure buying them and fixing it myself, through tedious work with thumb and/or really, really flat tool wil do the job.

Is this assessment reasonable or should I bite the bullet and send it in to tech support?

-- Ryvius

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
I have a rev a 12" PB and both the lower left and right hand screws fell out...have been gone for about 5 months and no problems so far. I wouldn't even replace them, but if you feel it necessary, I would buy the screws and do it yourself. No need in sending it away for a screw.

compmd

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2006
Anyone know the exact size of this screw, maybe a hardware store may be able to match it?

PBPARTS and PBFIXIT are sold out completely.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
No need to fix it yourself even...I had 5 screws fall out of the bottom of my iBook G4 and nothing came of it. Doesn't seem to be a real problem. There are something like 140 screws in there, so losing 1 isn't a huge deal.

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
The screws in the lower corners of the Aluminum PowerBook displays are, to be precise, the most useless screws in the entire machine. They're not the most annoying, as that honour falls to the three screws in the battery bay of the 12", but they are totally useless. The reason for this is primarily the fact that what they screw into is a very small plate that is poorly spot welded to the aluminum display back. Nearly every time that I've removed the back of a PowerBook display, the plates have fallen off. They need to be epoxied back into place, and even then they don't always stay on. Considering that the display is held quite securely by the plastic tabs which run all the way around the sides, it's a non-issue.

My only suggestion would actually be to remove the screw from the other side so that they look even ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.