MKV 16:9 defaults to Full Frame in HB

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by JMEANS, Jan 6, 2013.

1. JMEANS, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013

macrumors regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Ok never had this happen before where these settings in the HB pic below are set. But the Handbreaked result is Full Frame?!

The BD Documentary ripped to MKV no problem and plays 16:9 in VLC, the only thing I can think is that this retail BD is region free... ? Highly doubt it though.

I tried NONE, LOOSE & STRICT and same result (as seen below: not only Full Frame but almost looks cut off too?!)

Not sure if I am able to do a custom here on this or not to hold the 16:9?
    Any expertise would be welcome ! Thanks JIM

2. thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 9, 2012

nobody has any suggestions or what would be the custom setting?
  3. macrumors demi-god

Aug 17, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    The Cropping values under Picture Settings are removing 240 pixels from either side so that might be the issue. Leave it at Custom and then reduce the values to 0 and see what happens.
  4. macrumors regular

Dec 4, 2008
    As it's a documentary I'm guessing the whole film is put together from different sources of material and I bet one or more of the segments in the documentary aren't actually 16x9. When HandBrake does it's preview scan, which it utilises to calculate the cropping, it's hit on one or more of segments and set the values.
    As CWallace mentions just change the cropping to custom and set the width values back to 0
  5. thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 9, 2012