Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lPHONE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
What parts are interchangeable from the liquid cooled G5's to the air cooled?
Are the heatsinks the same? What about the CPU's?

Thanks

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
You want to do this why? Apple set up liquid cooling because air cooling wasn't enough. Air cooling technology hasn't changed that much since then, I think you'll have major heat issues.

XaPHER

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
if the liquid cooled g5 have a delphi system, it will leak and make corrosion like this
043.jpg

and the g5 will die.
If it has the panasonic liquid cooling system, it will not leak

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
if the liquid cooled g5 have a delphi system, it will leak and make corrosion like this
043.jpg

and the g5 will die.

... and for me at least (as of last December), Apple will repair it for free (which they tried) or give you a loaded Mac Pro (which they did, 8 x 2.93)

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Many of the heatsinks are not interchangable without some "hacking" being involved. Also I found out that the air-cooled heatsinks are usually not good enough for the liquid-cooled models. I tried using 1.8ghz heatsinks on my quad. Although they did mount together, there was no way to secure them to the case so I had to run the machine on it's side. I think the Quad CPU was too hot and the 1.8 heatsink was insufficient since it only had 4 heatpipes. I believe the dual-core models had 6 heat pipes but those heatsinks are different.

Now I'm sure you can somehow shoehorn some other types of heatsinks with more heatpipes onto the G5 CPU but that will take some workmanship to pull it off in order to mount them. I have a thread up on this if you want to search through my history.

lPHONE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Why does everyone here question "why"...? I just want to know how to do it. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.