Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Nah. I had one (returned it) and it's a bit harder to remove from an unwilling wrist than a wallet is to remove from a pocket.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Nope, no worries. I'd be more concerned about someone grabbing my purse.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I don't own a modern buckle yet :(but I'd imagine that my Milanese loop would be a lot easier to remove.

FrisbeeK9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
Washington DC Metro the bad guys stand by the door and look for anyone using their iphone so when the doors are about to close they snatch it out of the hand of the user. Old trick but still, with the Apple Watch one could do the same.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I have never worried about pick-pockets, guessing it is a large city type thing. It never even occurs to me as I am seldom in human congested situations.

I'm more aware in larger cities. Around here in the suburbs, nobody is getting close enough to steal from me but my family members.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I'm more aware in larger cities. Around here in the suburbs, nobody is getting close enough to steal from me but my family members.

Agreed. I seldom go to the downtown areas. The nicer places are not in the city anymore and have few reasons to visit unless it is to see my lawyer and we conduct most of our business via the Internet now.

Close as I get to downtown is my local Ruth Chris and even they are not in the busy downtown area.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Agreed. I seldom go to the downtown areas. The nicer places are not in the city anymore and have few reasons to visit unless it is to see my lawyer and we conduct most of our business via the Internet now.

Close as I get to downtown is my local Ruth Chris and even they are not in the busy downtown area.

When I do travel into larger, urban areas, I am hyperaware of the people around me. I wear a crossbody bag, for example, and I keep my hands in my pockets or my husband and I hold hands on the side where I have my purse, for safety. I don't imagine anyone is going to be swiping my watch, no matter how easy it may seem, unless it is at gun or knife point.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I don't own a modern buckle yet :(but I'd imagine that my Milanese loop would be a lot easier to remove.

Milanese loop isn't easy at all. It doesn't come completely undone so you have to slip it over the whole hand.

Now: A Leather Loop would be a lot easier. Might be able to simply grab the watch face, yank and run....

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Well, go hang out at the Eiffel Tower or Paris metro for a week and let us know how it works out.

Wrists covered. Hands in pockets.

I've never been robbed in a major city, even on the Metro.

I'm just very aware of the people around me.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Wrists covered. Hands in pockets.

I've never been robbed in a major city, even on the Metro.

I'm just very aware of the people around me.

Heh. Have lived in large cities all my life, taking crowded public transportation, and never been pickpocketed. I take basic precautions, of course, but don't give it much thought. It's the same as looking both ways before crossing the street. It just becomes part of your normal routine.

Reactions: bunnicula
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.