Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

contenteduser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2020
A few months ago, my dual-boot Mac laptop ran High Sierra and Mountain Lion. They talked to each other. Now, having recently "upgraded" to Mohave, they are having communication issues. So far, here are some curious results of switching to Mohave.

Some apps create their own folders under Mohave. Mountain Lion doesn't see those folders! I have to ensure I create a folder within a "known" folder (already used by Mountain Lion) or choose a "known" folder when I'm running Mohave. I tried creating an alias to a Mohave-created folder; when I clicked on the alias under Mountain Lion, I got the familiar Mac message to either "fix or delete" the alias.

When I am running Mohave, System Preferences > Startup Disk sees my 10.8 Mountain Lion volume, just like High Sierra did. When I am running Mountain Lion, it doesn't see the Mohave volume! It could see the High Sierra volume. So, to switch to Mohave, I have to use the ancient keystroke startup method (hold down Option while pressing the power button).

This is also new: When I use Option-power button to choose Mohave as the startup volume, unlike High Sierra, Mohave doesn't display the two potential bootup volumes on the monitor plugged into my laptop; it only shows the choice directly on the laptop's screen. Only near the end of the starting-up process does Mohave display what it's doing on the external monitor.

What other odd things has anyone noted when running Mohave in a dual-boot situation? Has anyone heard of a way to get Mohave and Mountain Lion to "see" each other better?

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
Since you only mentioned a "Mac Laptop" it's not clear if you installed Mojave natively or by DosDude or OpenCore...

With High Sierra Apple introduced (optional) a new disk format: APFS.
From Mojave and newer this is the only (native) format for the OS.
A HDD for data/ TimeMachine is still recommended in HFS+ under Mojave and up.

So ML doesnt "see" a APFS disk because it's an unknown format.
Logically, the other way around works: Mojave "sees" a HFS+ volume .

It's not a very good idea to edit folders from OS A while booted from OS B and vice versa.
If you'd like to/need to interchange between the 2 OS, you could make a partition in HFS+ format dedicated to share data between ML and Mojave.

About the bootscreen on Mojave: This could have to do with the compatibility of the GPU and Mojave.
Without further details about your setup I can only keep it very general.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.