Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
I finally converted my mom! A person listed a powermac g4 in the paper with 15 inch studio display for $850!! I knew right away that it would be perfect. We go to pick it up tommorow! 733 mhz, 512mb ram, 32mb radeon 7500, has 10.1 on it but he used 9. The guy said he is getting a PC :( I have a quick question, i know my mom will never upgrade the processor, but i belive this one lacks a L3 cache, how much better would it perform with a 800 mhz upgrade with L3? I am spoiled with a 800DP, and i was just wondering. Who knows, maybe in 6 months i can get her to get rid of the toshiba laptop!

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Not a whole lot and not worth the money, If you know someone who is electronics savy you can do what i did and turn your 733 no l3 into a 800 no l3 in about 15 minutes. I did see all my applications open faster and picked up a few frame rates while i was at it. Also I have seen g4 1gig upgrades for $550 so in 6 months they might be had for $400 bucks. But if this is just for your mom why would you bother with all this stuff. Also i would update the 10.1 to at least 10.1.5 or jag.Good luck and hope she enjoys it.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
yeah, i read about cutting out a resistor or something similar to that, not worth it, i want to keep her computer in tip top shape, i was just wondering how important L3 cache would be. She will mostley be using email, iphoto, and instant messengers, so i'm not too worried about the performace, it should be a sweet machine.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
l3 isnt going to make much difference by itself.My computer is in tip top shape and actually never ran better!its been 3 months and iam a big time gamer so you know iam stressing the heck out of it!No problems at all!For what she is going to do with it i wouldnt even consider anything unless you feel like gettin a little more memory that would be my best advice!All in all my former 733 has been a great machine but i could say that about all the macs i have owned.

WannabeSQ

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
If it is a quicksilver 733, then it lacks cache, but if it is the Digital audio (same case style as tye original graphite "AGP" G4, then it has the 2mb l3 cache. Shouldnt make much difference for what she will be using it for.

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Please, for the sake of the platform, buy her Jaguar :D

Don't start anybody off into the Mac world in OS 9, you may scar them for life! :eek: And 10.1 is becoming more and more obsolete every day as new 10.2-only apps come out. If you shop around, you can find deals on Jaguar for <$100

Raiden

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2002
Just get an EDU discount. Its 70 bucks for jag I think.

BTW is your mom a teacher cause if so you can get jag for free.

And cool system your getting. Your lucky, my mom bought a snowhite imac last year for 1200 bucks then one month later the stalk imac comes out...:rolleyes: :p

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
Hey guys, SHE LOVES IT!! We got her up to 10.1.5 and she seems to be in love. She loves the dock! Overall i think she is gonna be very happy and buying many macs for years to come!!! Now to convert my grandma and everyone in my dorm :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.