Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keymoo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2005
Bedfordshire, UK
Hi,

I want to use an equivalent of Microsoft Money 2005, UK Edition on my new Mac, but I can't find anything that looks any good. Before you say use Quicken, they have stopped selling into the UK market.

"Important notice for Quicken Users:

Intuit UK has made a difficult business decision to discontinue future development of Quicken products for the UK market. To help customers affected by this decision, we will continue providing access to Quicken customer support and online services through to the end of January 2006.

Key Dates

* Quicken withdrawn from sale: 31, January 2005
* Phone support (Quicken XG, 2004) until: 31, January 2006
* Email support (Quicken XG, 2004) until: 31, January 2006
* Online support until: 31, January, 2006 "

UK Mac users, what do you do?

Scuwif

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2005
London, UK
No good personal finance software for Mac

I've also been using Quicken for PC for many years and was very disappointed that Intuit chose to the abandon the market. I thought I'd have to settle for MS Money but then came the decision to switch to Mac. I just assumed I'd find a personal finance package similar to Quicken but have been very disappointed. Quicken (or equivalent) is an important app for me. I use the investment section and also make full use of the multi-currency facilities--which I believe are not included in either PC or Mac versions of Quicken in the US and Canada. So at the moment it's stalemate. I'm running Quicken 2004 (glacially) in VPC and I don't see it as a long-term solution. Surely some developer could address this need? If only Microsoft would produce a Mac version of MS Money (to complement Office?....) we would all be happy. :mad:

keymoo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2005
Bedfordshire, UK
Scuwif said:
I've also been using Quicken for PC for many years and was very disappointed that Intuit chose the abandon the market. I thought I'd have to settle for MS Money but then came the decision to switch to Mac. I just assumed I'd find a personal finance package similar to Quicken but have been very disappointed. Quicken (or equivalent) is an important app for me. I use the investment section and also make full use of the multi-currency facilities--which I believe are not included in either PC or Mac versions of Quicken in the US and Canada. So at the moment it's stalemate. I'm running Quicken 2004 (glacially) in VPC and I don't see it as a long-term solution. Surely some developer could address this need? If only Microsoft would produce a Mac version of MS Money (to complement Office?....) we would all be happy. :mad:

Yes, I still haven't found anything on the Mac that can compete with MS Money or Quicken. Perhaps there isn't anything - I've looked at several finance packages on the Mac and they are very basic.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I have virtually no knowledge about this sort of stuff, but I'm sure I've seen a Mac version of Quicken. Even if they've stopped selling it, you should be able to find a copy if you look hard enough.

Scuwif

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2005
London, UK
Quicken no longer do international version

Quicken no longer do an international version and, as far as I am aware, the US version has never included multi-currency (as have the various international versions). The currency handling complications may have been one of the reasons Intuit withdrew Quicken from the market. Even in the PC-world the only serious personal-finance competitor for Quicken is Microsoft Money. There are lots of wanna-be packages around, many of them very crude bookkeeping tools. But Quicken (and Money) have the market sewn up.

Kerry Sanders

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Hayden, AL
Anyone know if there is a program good enough to run Microsoft Money on the Mac short of purchasing the full blown VPC 7.0.2?

That is about the only Windows application that I would be running, so I hate to spend all the money on Virtual PC. I did not know if there were any other virtual machine applications for the Mac.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Quicken 2006 for Mac

I saw a new version for Quicken at the Apple Store. It seems Intuit improved its money management software with this Quicken 2006 for Mac. Has anyone tried this? As the previous poster commented, MS Money is the only program I am running for my HP Pavilion at home as I don't use that PC for anything else anymore. I am just weary about running the virtual PC on my Mac as I heard that thing is slow as hell. Also, it defeats the purpose of getting Macintosh if I am running Windows on my Mac.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
While not a financial package in itself, you can do just about anything with Excel. Plus you can customized everything just like you want.

Something to consider if the other programs don't meet your needs.

Sushi

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Scuwif said:
The currency handling complications may have been one of the reasons Intuit withdrew Quicken from the market.

How can that present a problem? It's just a symbol. Are there any significant non-decimal currencies out there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.