Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

broncopde

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Conway, AR
Skimmed the article and I don't quite agree with him, but I guess I agree with him to a point. I'd say there could be more developers who aren't making money on the App Store than that are (but of course that all depends on how much the developers time is worth), but that does not at all stop the following from being true: if you put out an app that people like to use, that gets noticed and talked about on the internet and through word of mouth, you will certainly make money and potentially a lot of money.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Clearly there is money to be made in the App Store. The question is whether you have a good enough idea and the ability to execute and market it so that your app doesn't get lost among the 199,000 really terrible apps.

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
Yes, there is money to be made. I think the overall summary that the App Store is not a money printing press of wealth and a lot of developers lose time and money is accurate. However, I disagree with a lot of the analysis. In my opinion the crux of his argument is the development cost of even a "dirt cheap" app at $15,000. That is flat out wrong. If you are a software developer with a bit of design skill (which describes a lot of independent developers) your costs are much, much less.

It is true that large companies dominate the top apps and there a relatively few small teams or independent developers getting fabulously wealthy. But there is a healthy "middle-class" that can supplement or replace their income doing other full time software development.

I think the article should serve as a cautionary tale that people shouldn't just throw money at contractors and such thinking they will be successfully because the saw some dumb app with talking kittens or something ranked in top 100 or something.

It's just like every other free market. There are some winners, there are some losers. Just make calculated risks and I will praise articles like this for attempting to explain those risks.

Oh, he is right that most apps are making hardly any money :) But with a bit of familiarity with the market and its economics it's not hard to figure out why...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.