Monitor selection and virus protection?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by asimmd, Nov 13, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Mar 24, 2012
    HI All

My new Mac Mini just arrived,my very first Mac.

I have a new DVI to Thunderbolt adaptor that I will use when I pluck up courage to set it up.

Meanwhile,may I ask

I would like a 27" Monitor,are there any that are more suitable than others?

Do I need Internet Security?

I use Nod 32 on my PC,and they also do a version for Mac.

2. Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    You shouldn't have any issue with monitors. They work on PC or Mac just fine. You don't need to bother with Norton on a Mac. It'll cause you more issues than any potential virus.
  3. macrumors member

Oct 28, 2012
    How about Sophos Anti-Virus?
  4. Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    I really wouldn't worry about any AV solution on your Mac.
  5. macrumors member

Jul 6, 2008
    A couple of things to keep in mind about 27" monitors: HDMI and single DVI don't support resolutions higher than 1920 x 1200, basically 1080p. The native resolution of many better 27" monitors is higher, often 2560 x 1440. These monitors won't look optimal at lower resolutions. From a mini you'll need either the dual DVI adapter or mini display port to display port, or thunderbolt if you buy Apple's thunderbolt display.
  6. macrumors 604

Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    Gawd no! Sophos can make your system less secure. Don't make your mac slower and less secure with the commercial anti-virus programs.
  7. macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    You don't need any 3rd party software to keep your Mac malware free, as long as you practice safe computing, including the tips in the section What security steps should I take? from the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ
    I recommend that you avoid using Sophos, as it could actually increase your Mac's vulnerability, as described here and here.

You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as you practice safe computing, as described in the FAQ link above.