Monitor selection and virus protection?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by asimmd, Nov 13, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

HI All

My new Mac Mini just arrived,my very first Mac.

I have a new DVI to Thunderbolt adaptor that I will use when I pluck up courage to set it up.

Meanwhile,may I ask

I would like a 27" Monitor,are there any that are more suitable than others?

Do I need Internet Security?

I use Nod 32 on my PC,and they also do a version for Mac.

Thanks

Alan

2. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You shouldn't have any issue with monitors. They work on PC or Mac just fine. You don't need to bother with Norton on a Mac. It'll cause you more issues than any potential virus.

3. macrumors member

How about Sophos Anti-Virus?

4. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I really wouldn't worry about any AV solution on your Mac.

5. macrumors member

A couple of things to keep in mind about 27" monitors: HDMI and single DVI don't support resolutions higher than 1920 x 1200, basically 1080p. The native resolution of many better 27" monitors is higher, often 2560 x 1440. These monitors won't look optimal at lower resolutions. From a mini you'll need either the dual DVI adapter or mini display port to display port, or thunderbolt if you buy Apple's thunderbolt display.

6. macrumors 604

Gawd no! Sophos can make your system less secure. Don't make your mac slower and less secure with the commercial anti-virus programs.

7. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need any 3rd party software to keep your Mac malware free, as long as you practice safe computing, including the tips in the section What security steps should I take? from the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ
    I recommend that you avoid using Sophos, as it could actually increase your Mac's vulnerability, as described here and here.

You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as you practice safe computing, as described in the FAQ link above.