Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I have a Benq rl2755hm monitor, the monitor has built in speakers and the volume controls work normal when I hook up my ps4 to the monitor.

When I hook up my MBP the audio plays but the volume controls are disabled(see screenshot) any easy suggestions or should I direct question to Benq

Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 7.08.27 PM.png

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
When plugged in through HDMI sound is managed by whatever you're plugged into's DAC. That's normal and expected behaviour.

HDMI usually does not support sending commands through the cable (such as volume up or down), same goes for say, TOSLINK audio.

There is nothing to do as there is nothing to fix.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
The volume control will be from the monitor, not the Mac. What I had to do with my Mac mini HDMI to get sound control via the Mac is connect the Mac to the monitor (Viewsonic) was Mac audio out to the monitor audio in with an audio cable with mini plug connectors. Check your monitor User Manual for instructions about audio connections to see about support. My monitor came with a cable for this purpose. You then have to set the Mac Sound preference to Internal Speakers instead of the monitor. I was then able to control the volume with my Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.