monitors: 17" or 20"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by furrina, May 9, 2004.

1. furrina macrumors regular

Mar 31, 2004
    In tha 212
    I'm about to bite the bullet and get a pb 15" 1.5. (The G5 desktop can wait til I'm doing enough editing that i'm tearing my hear out over render speeds) But I do plan to get a LCD monitor so that I can use it in "clamshell" mode while at home (mostly I'll use it as a desktop) and double the desktop space. I had planned to get a 17" monitor, but so many people have been trying to talk me into getting the 20". If the prices were even near equal, of course i would get the 20", it's lovely, but it's twice as much as the smaller one. Can anyone give me advice: Would it be totally not worth it at all to get the 17" and I really should go for the 20, or is the 17" fine as a main desktpo monitor? I'm doing mostly regular stuff (no graphic design) though I do some video editing.

2. dragula53 macrumors regular

Jun 23, 2003
    not impressed with apple 17"

the 20 and 23 are beautiful, but the non-widescreen resolution of the 17 doesn't make me happy.

you can probably get a samsung 19" for a similar price as the 17, and have it be a better monitor.

I say 20-23 all the way.
  3. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

Apr 21, 2004
    Can you say Chi-City??
    with the rumors of newer, enlarged LCD displays on the way, is there any possibility of a price drop for the 20 inch model? or, could there be a smaller widescreen in the works? it seems it would be a shame to buy a beautiful 15" widescreen notebook only to "complement" it buy a 4:3 display.

plus, i dont know about spending a small fortune on a display.
  4. raynegus macrumors regular

Jul 5, 2003
    I know money is tight, but I'd go for the 20". Also, consider the 128 MB Graphics RAM option in the PB. It's only like $50 more.

I don't see the point in getting the 17". I'd just use the screen on the PB and be happy. I mean it's only two inches more than the screen on the PB. Why spend $700 for 2 more inches and more desk clutter?

I'd get the 20" or nothing. BYMMV.
  5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    I am in the market for a moniter as well. I am hoping that Apple will come out with a 17'' wide aspect screen, or maybe just drop the 20'' down to the low end at WWDC. I feel the 700 dollar asking price for the 17'' is just way to high, esp seeing as I could get a 19'' dell or Samsung for only a little bit more. I would really like the 20'' but it is just out of my price range. I will be waiting to see what happens at WWDC, and if nothing their I will be looking for a moniter other than an Apple :eek: Kills me to do so, but I just can't afford the current Apple offerings. :(