Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Nothing says a good night of fun, or nights, or weeks, like a quick game of Monopoly! I played this game all the time when I was growing up. Loved it. I haven't played it in quite some time though.

80 years! What a run for a board game, not to mention one that has a boat load of tie-ins!!

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Oh wow, I wasn't expecting that. Plastic banking cards, eh? Hmmmm....

Yup. No paper money in this edition, you play using debit cards and an electronic banking device that adds and deducts money from the card. Makes the game much faster.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I remember one time I managed to get Mediterranean, Baltic, Park Place and Boardwalk all at the same time--and put up hotels on all four. Good luck trying to collect $200 passing Go. ;)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I remember one time I managed to get Mediterranean, Baltic, Park Place and Boardwalk all at the same time--and put up hotels on all four. Good luck trying to collect $200 passing Go. ;)

Ah, yes.

As someone from The Other Side Of The Pond, (where our upmarket streets are different in real life as well as on the Monopoly board) I think I get what you are saying without understanding your exact references!

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
0FCcuuK.jpg

I have no idea what I'm doing...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
0FCcuuK.jpg

I have no idea what I'm doing...

That is just a cunning disguise, intended to misdirect the unwary, distract the thoughtful, and mislead the sentimental.

Trust me, this is an aspiring businessman, a capitalist dog who will be Top Dog - and own the Entire Board - before the night is out. Actually, in my mind's eye, I can just see the cigar that will take up residence in this animal's mouth...

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I enjoyed playing as a kid growing up, but haven't played in years. Count me as one of the folks who made up some of their own rules to speed the game up.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Ah, yes.

As someone from The Other Side Of The Pond, (where our upmarket streets are different in real life as well as on the Monopoly board) I think I get what you are saying without understanding your exact references!

Mostly because between Park Place and Baltic Avenue, five out of seven places you land on results in the other players losing money. And the sixth--Community Chest--runs the risk (pun not intended here!) or losing even more money or landing in Jail. Oops. :p That's why during that time I managed to get Mediterranean, Baltic, Park Place and Boardwalk all at the same time, everyone else playing (there were five players in that game) hoped really hard not to land anywhere near Go.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Mostly because between Park Place and Baltic Avenue, five out of seven places you land on results in the other players losing money. And the sixth--Community Chest--runs the risk (pun not intended here!) or losing even more money or landing in Jail. Oops. :p That's why during that time I managed to get Mediterranean, Baltic, Park Place and Boardwalk all at the same time, everyone else playing (there were five players in that game) hoped really hard not to land anywhere near Go.

Actually, I remember that quite late in the game, when almost all the property property has been bought up - and turned into income generating rackets - and it has become surprisingly - almost ruinously - expensive just to get around the board, a spell or two in jail can actually be a welcome escape from unwelcome financial outlays, (even if you have to pass 'Go' without receiving your £200, or $200, or, these days, €200) and heart stopping risk, leaving the others to battle it out, while you are safely ensconced inside.

Of course, early in the game, a spell in jail deprives you of opportunity and is quite annoying…….

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Played this a week ago since 20 odd years with my cutthroat "7 1/2 years old" cousin. Luckily we started at the kitchen table so first chance (lunch) I could get to somewhat reasonably shut down this game was taken. :eek:

Poor lad, he'd have destroyed me. Being able to take mortgages on property was new to me though. Saved me a couple of rounds. :D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Played this a week ago since 20 odd years with my cutthroat "7 1/2 years old" cousin. Luckily we started at the kitchen table so first chance (lunch) I could get to somewhat reasonably shut down this game was taken. :eek:

Poor lad, he'd have destroyed me. Being able to take mortgages on property was new to me though. Saved me a couple of rounds. :D

Yes, it can be a dodgy business when playing board games with juvenile cut-throats.

A good while ago, - over two years ago - I posted about how I had bought "A Old Style" (i.e. wooden board, and well made pieces) board game of 'Cluedo' (a beautifully produced game, I must say), and gave it as a gift to the two children of friends of mine.

One of these two proved to be an impressively ruthless player of all board games; her older brother sought refuge in a rational intellect - he is a bright kid - and sought to bring that to bear. Their father supplied me with port, until it was deemed diplomatic to exit the games…...

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Yes, it can be a dodgy business when playing board games with juvenile cut-throats.

A good while ago, - over two years ago - I posted about how I had bought "A Old Style" (i.e. wooden board, and well made pieces) board game of 'Cluedo' (a beautifully produced game, I must say), and gave it as a gift to the two children of friends of mine.

One of these two proved to be an impressively ruthless player of all board games; her older brother sought refuge in a rational intellect - he is a bright kid - and sought to bring that to bear. Their father supplied me with port, until it was deemed diplomatic to exit the games…...

Hehehe, I enjoy playing with some of my capitalist family members. Amusingly, they're usually the ones who complain loudest about fairness (or lack thereof) when they're losing.....:D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hehehe, I enjoy playing with some of my capitalist family members. Amusingly, they're usually the ones who complain loudest about fairness (or lack thereof) when they're losing.....:D

Well, of my two playing companions the impressively ruthless youngster was open to using anything (including a spot of creative cheating, or a bit of timely destruction, or distraction) to swing things her way. She wants to be an assassin when she grows up (an ambition which gets a fond and indulgent grin from her father, himself a first rate shot and champion marksman in the military reserve).

Her older brother, meanwhile, an altogether more sober, serious and thoughtful character, is set on becoming a scientist (which is what his mother has a Ph.D in, although she doesn't work in the field these days to her regret).

But we have enjoyed quite a number of games of Cluedo together, along with 'Risk', and sundry other board games……

When I was a child, I never realised that good wine, or port, go awfully well with board games.

eko91

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015
happy 80th!

Monopoly is a classic American family board game! It will never getting boring! : )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.