Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SN@FU

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
After the initial $500+ that the phone will cost, is their any news on how cingular will handle the monthly cost of the phone? You have to remember that it is a phone; not a computer. If cingular follows their current trend you will be charged out your rear-end for the wifi service to access the internet. I'd be totally willing to pay the cost for the phone but if i'm going to have to pay $200 a month to use all of the features I hardly doubt it would be worth it. I know the phone comes with a 2-year plan but cincular has never before included their wifi service for the base price of any of their other service contracts.

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
If I have to pay extra to use built-in wifi, screw it. That's the same ******** that's happening at other phone companies with bluetooth and photo capabilities. I'm tired of buying phones that don't work. If they don't want me to have bluetooth or wireless then they shouldn't put it on the frickin' phone to begin with.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
If I have to pay extra to use built-in wifi, screw it. That's the same ******** that's happening at other phone companies with bluetooth and photo capabilities. I'm tired of buying phones that don't work. If they don't want me to have bluetooth or wireless then they shouldn't put it on the frickin' phone to begin with.

He used the wrong term. You don't have to pay for WiFi, you have to pay for broadband internet access over the cell phone networks from anywhere, if you want it. Calm down.

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
He used the wrong term. You don't have to pay for WiFi, you have to pay for broadband internet access over the cell phone networks from anywhere, if you want it. Calm down.

Yep...so, if you are in a wifi rich area then you shouldnt even actually need to buy the data plan..you will be able to access your email and internet directly through wifi. Yay for the wifi blanket over my entire county soon :D

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
Hey, it's a legitimate fear. My fiancee just bought a new phone and when I went to sync it to her computer via Bluetooth it refused. Little did I know that Sprint wanted extra cash to actually *use* the phone. It's no more unreasonable to think they might disable wifi unless I give them $7 a month or somesuch.

:froths at the mouth:

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Hey, it's a legitimate fear. My fiancee just bought a new phone and when I went to sync it to her computer via Bluetooth it refused. Little did I know that Sprint wanted extra cash to actually *use* the phone. It's no more unreasonable to think they might disable wifi unless I give them $7 a month or somesuch.

:froths at the mouth:

Not going to happen. Even Verizon, the phone feature Nazi, who disables bluetooth and all that goodness, leaves Wifi enabled on phones that it comes with (with no usage charge). Example: XV6700

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
Not going to happen. Even Verizon, the phone feature Nazi, who disables bluetooth and all that goodness, leaves Wifi enabled on phones that it comes with (with no usage charge). Example: XV6700
'phone feature nazi' is correct! I tried to impress my girlfriend the other day by syncing her RAZR with Address Book via bluetooth (she has a 15" PB) the other day... you can imagine how flustered I was when damn thing wouldn't work. Verizon is the most idiotic phone company there is and I can't wait to be rid of the morons :mad:

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
so far. the cheapest plan ive found on Cingular is $40 a month plus taxes and such :mad:
cause damnit! im with Verizon and so is everybody I know so its SOOO cheap for my to text and vid and picture messege and call everybody for free!!!!

but I wont the :apple:iPhone soo bad. guh

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I think no one but Cingular and maybe Apple knows what plan they'll have to entice people into buying a $500/$600 phone. Current plans might not indicate what they'll do. We'll all find out at the same time - mid June.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
wow...

Im so happy I am with Tmobile...

Verizon disabling features of the phone and requiring you to pay for bluetooth? WTF?! On the Tmobile end Im getting FREE INTERNET (EDGE), probably a glitch though, but it is a glitch that has been on going for 6 months now!

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
And for what it's worth, T-Mobile did their own disabling on some "regular" phones they sold (i.e. not the smartphones), like removing the phones internal email application and telling you that t-zones through the phones browser was the only way to get email.

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
I have Cingular and use their Smartphone data plan. ITs $20/month for unlimited internet (text is an extra $5). Its only good for the Cingular 2125 and 3125 phones. I was going to get the Blackjack but the only data plan they offer for that is the PDA plan which is $40/month. The difference between the phones is 3g. Since the iPhone only has EDGE networking abilities, I would ASSUME that it would fall under the Smartphone data plan. Of course, Apple, I'm sure is expected to move up to 3g in the next version (if not sooner) so prices may change.

truz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2006
Florida
I also have Cingular, family plan (700 minutes) with 2 other phones on the same package (3 total). I pay $160.01 or something like that for unlimited data plan, 700 family plan, insurance on 2 phones (pda does not offer insurance), text messaging package as well, that's with taxes.

I used my laptop the whole way up to North Carolina from Florida, stayed connected (using my Cingular 8125 as a modem) was about a 9 hour drive and never reconnected once :) checked my email / completed msn meeting and had to use putty a few times (windows laptop, mac laptop will come soon) I used like 60mb of data transfer that trip up there / 4 days there and the way home, connection was 8-14kbps every time I checked.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
I have Cingular and use their Smartphone data plan. ITs $20/month for unlimited internet (text is an extra $5). Its only good for the Cingular 2125 and 3125 phones. I was going to get the Blackjack but the only data plan they offer for that is the PDA plan which is $40/month. The difference between the phones is 3g. Since the iPhone only has EDGE networking abilities, I would ASSUME that it would fall under the Smartphone data plan. Of course, Apple, I'm sure is expected to move up to 3g in the next version (if not sooner) so prices may change.

Don't know where you got your info, but I have a blackjack and the $20/month data connect plan (unlimited internet)....

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Don't know where you got your info, but I have a blackjack and the $20/month data connect plan (unlimited internet)....
The correct, unlimited-data plan for a PDA device like the BlackJack is $39.99/month.

If you were able to find a way to get the a smartphone plan on your PDA device, that's cool, but $19.99/month isn't the normal plan for unlimited PDA data.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
I was going to get the Blackjack but the only data plan they offer for that is the PDA plan which is $40/month. The difference between the phones is 3g. Since the iPhone only has EDGE networking abilities, I would ASSUME that it would fall under the Smartphone data plan. Of course, Apple, I'm sure is expected to move up to 3g in the next version (if not sooner) so prices may change.

I wouldn't assume that at all. Keep in mind that the rules are not 3G=PDA Connect, Smartphone on EDGE=Smartphone connect. I have a Treo 650 on cingular and I have the pda connect plan. They base it on the likelihood of your utilizing the phone repeatedly for internet and email access. Basically since the iphone has some email and web capabilities beyond a normal phone, expect that it will probably fall into pda connect OR they'll make an "iphone data plan" of some sort. Unfortunately, you can't really argue your way out with a "but it's only EDGE" comment. I tried. Basically you need to lie about what phone you have on your plan, or find a really sympathetic sales rep. MediaNet unlimited does work on a pda but you can't get it automatically, you need to pull some strings.

chatster18

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2007
I'm thinking they are going to go with an "iPhone data plan" Unless they roll it into the other data plans....I just hope they dont charge through the nose for the service....

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
The correct, unlimited-data plan for a PDA device like the BlackJack is $39.99/month.

If you were able to find a way to get the a smartphone plan on your PDA device, that's cool, but $19.99/month isn't the normal plan for unlimited PDA data.

It is true, the website doesn't list the blackjack as compatible, however when I went in to buy mine, the first data plan I was offered was smartphone connect w/ express mail (unlimited data+xpress mail), I didn't even ask for it. Maybe you should try at a store instead of online. The guy also gave me the upgrade price even though I was only 5 months into my contract plus an extra $100 off :eek: . They can make some pretty good deals.

buymeaniphone

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
i liked the rumor about how Cingular was going to offer free service for 18 months, it sounded to good to be true, but what if it was. I really hope they come up with a lower rate plan for the iphone cause it is going to be really expensive, I think that would be one of the biggest factors on whether or not the iPhone will sell.

moonislune

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2005
A few confirmations...

I thought the same too until I spoke with a cingular employee this evening. While its not "official", as in they still deny it, the Iphone will be subsidized up to $150 through Cingular and will require the PDA data plan, not the smartphone data plan.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
'phone feature nazi' is correct! I tried to impress my girlfriend the other day by syncing her RAZR with Address Book via bluetooth (she has a 15" PB) the other day... you can imagine how flustered I was when damn thing wouldn't work. Verizon is the most idiotic phone company there is and I can't wait to be rid of the morons :mad:

Thats interesting. I currently have cingular and have to tell you I have had the absolute worst experience out of any service ive had. I have had verizon, nextel, tmoble, at&t before they went GSM, and cingular. I have never had so many dropped calls in my life. It is not the area i live in (NYC) but everywhere. I can very rarely make a phonecall through to completion without a dropped call. I drop a call if i am on the phone for more than 5 minutes. Cingulars only attemt to help me is by sending me replacement phones of the exact same model 3 times before telling me i was SOL. I will be paying the cancelation fee to switch back to the best ive had so far, verizon. It dissapoints me immensly that apple has chosen cingular as their exclusive carrier, but i have a feeling that wont last for long.

buymeaniphone

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
I've been on Tmobile for almost 7 years now and have had no complaints except for their lack of nice phone to choose from, I'm actually using an unlocked Cingular treo 650 currently, i think I'll wait and see if anyone can unlock the iPhone and stay on Tmobile if I can still utilize all the features.

MP4-22

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2007
Illinois
I'm on Cingular right now. It is easily the best service in my area. I think since it isn't 3G they would charge the smartphone plan or the will have an iPhone Plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.