Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

naturalhigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Hey all, I ust got a macbook a few days ago, and it was perfect, dead quiet it was spectacular. Anyway I had some problems with kernel panics relating to the headphone jack. It would crash if i removed headphones in some instances, very strange. So I downloaded the march security update for osx, and since I have that on I have mooing (the constant fans powering up and powering down).
Its actually really irritating because I know that I didnt have it before at all.
But, I havent encountered the headphone problem again yet... so perhaps it has fixed that, but started the mooing.

Anyone had a similar experience ? Anyone have a suggestiong of what my course of action should be, should I get a replacement?

brbubba

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
I have heard of people associating the moo to the Intel update. I did my updates immediately when I got the system so I can't compare before and after. I did have mooing which has since vanished after doing the thermal paste reapplication.

pure*evil

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2006
NoDidn't happen to me. No mooing ever. First thing I did was get all updates after I opened it ;)

I've had it for 2 weeks, various levels of usage.

bbrosemer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
I believe its called iMoo, .... they were going to call it uCow but well too many people didnt like the name.

chrispl

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2006
sorry to say this, but the course of action is just live with it. i called into applecare twice, and both times they told me to go into the store and see a genius. then i went to 3 geniuses at 3 different stores and all 3 gave me answers like "the macbook fans were designed to do that," "thats just the fans going on," and "all macbooks moo."

maybe youll have better luck! but none of the stores allowed me to return/exchange because of the moo. i only got a full refund because of my power adapter sizzle, but that was only at ONE store. the other 2 said that the sizzle was also "within spec," and one genius even said "the power adapters are SUPPOSED to make noises."

so for anyone who has a problem, save yourself the hassle of going to an apple store and just tell yourself "this is within spec." (just saracsm of course. definitely try your luck with applecare and the geniuses. hopefully youll have more luck!)

chris

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
I heard about the intel update causing problems, so I skipped that one, but I do occasionally have Mooooos, although I think that's quite normal, because it only happens when the heat starts going up (superdrive and a few programs)
Does it Mooo at idle times, too with you guys?

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
chrispl said:
sorry to say this, but the course of action is just live with it. i called into applecare twice, and both times they told me to go into the store and see a genius. then i went to 3 geniuses at 3 different stores and all 3 gave me answers like "the macbook fans were designed to do that," "thats just the fans going on," and "all macbooks moo."

maybe youll have better luck! but none of the stores allowed me to return/exchange because of the moo. i only got a full refund because of my power adapter sizzle, but that was only at ONE store. the other 2 said that the sizzle was also "within spec," and one genius even said "the power adapters are SUPPOSED to make noises."

so for anyone who has a problem, save yourself the hassle of going to an apple store and just tell yourself "this is within spec." (just saracsm of course. definitely try your luck with applecare and the geniuses. hopefully youll have more luck!)

chris

Thats interesting because i just got back from the apple store. And i took mine in for that reason. He turned on every app to get it to moo, but it wasn't doing it there. So i showed him the google video of the fan, and said that's what it's doing. And it has been replaced. Not even an hr ago. I'm posting this because apple is either unaware or not acknowledging the problem, and i've heard that some are being replaced, mine included. So if you have this problem, make them change it. If apple has to keep replacing these, they'll have to do something about this problem. Hope fully this one won't do it. i'm installing updates now, so we'll see.

Also food for thought, i'm on my THIRD macbook in 2.5 weeks. I hope this one doesn't get that discoloration issue i'm reading about (its white), or that will be the end for me. I really don't like to have to deal with this stuff.

naturalhigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
well I had a play last night ad I still have the headphone issue. So I am going to get them to do a straight swap for me because its only been 5 days, there is no way I am accepting a repair.

naturalhigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Okay I have organised a replacement. Unfortunately due to very low supply in NZ it will take some time for my new machine to arrive, but then Im all set to roll and I will leave the software update for a while, until a new one comes out. The only reason I got it was because of the problem with hte headphone jack. But seeing as not many people have the head jack prob I thought it best to exchange it.

Oh and has anyone gotten a standard external mic working on the mac?
Mine wouldnt go on the mac.

yhe15

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2005
Mac OS X 10.4.7

Mac OS X 10.4.7 update for intel machines will release in a few days. Do u guys think this update will fix the mooing issue? Cheers

uncle fuz

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2006
bizarre. just NOW i am hearing the mooing, and remembered that i installed the updates last night.

what a fool.

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2006
So what are the names of the updates?
and what are they intended to do?
what do they ACTUALLY cause?

Just so i know what to install or not....
and how would i install them if i skip them the first time?

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
I don't know what has happened to apple. I don't think when they joined with Intel they thought about a little thing called quality control. But then again, some Macbook Pros and MacBooks still are fine machines. But why do some have to be so defectve?

purelithium

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Kingston, Canada
imacintel said:
I don't know what has happened to apple. I don't think when they joined with Intel they thought about a little thing called quality control. But then again, some Macbook Pros and MacBooks still are fine machines. But why do some have to be so defectve?

I would make fun of this statement, but you'll just cry and get me banned again.

All rev. A machines have problems. Especially when apple changes architectures and core technology. It's just natural for the first few to have problems. Mine's been great for the past 2 weeks, no problems with fitment, or mooing. Sure it's hot, but it's bearable for this great machine.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
bbrosemer said:
I believe its called iMoo, .... they were going to call it uCow but well too many people didnt like the name.

Like Tiger Woods, Me Elsie also failed to make the cut.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.