Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aasmund

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2002
Trondheim
Originally posted by areyouwishing
and the new Mac will be called.... H1

reasons...

1. H is after G in the Alphabet
2. H is on the periodic table as Hydrogen (happens to be the 1st)
3. 1 being the best, first, newest (all those monikers)

"Introducing the all new Macintosh H1, the worlds first 64-bit desktop."

I think marketing could really make that burn.

G is for "generation" H is for Hydrogen? what is the sense in that?

Do you think the next mobile network after 3G will be called h1 as well?

Regards

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
more confirmation...

I posted this in another thread...but wanted to mention it here too...

Just saw a new confirmation on MacWhispers about the use of the 970 in the PowerMacs...single and DUAL processor boards...also with WWDC pushed back for Panther...I would expect a PowerMac announcement either then or very soon after...

Good days are ahead for Apple fans.

Hickman

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: anti-confirmation

Interesting PowerMac design change...

developer.apple.com/techpubs/hardware/Updates/updates.html

Besides the new FW800 PHY and the move of Airport to the PCI bus, Apple moved the USB (ADC , bluetooth & modem) off of KeyLargo onto a PCI USB controller chip -- looks like they said all PowerMac USB moved.

Hopefully this isn't a sign we will get the new USB spec everyone has been waiting for in the next speed bumped PowerMac.

aka, another way of saying there may be one or two more PowerMac G4 speed bumps, with one carrying upgraded USB.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by scem0
Are you saying it would be bad if we got USB 2?
If this is a USB2 capable design change, are you going to be happy that it could signal retaining the current G4 for another speed bump or two?

Could simple be that they ran out of USB ports on KeyLargo...

Could mean they're getting ready for USB2 on the current design...

If it is a signal for USB2 on this design, then that'll mean no PPC970 for a speed bump cycle or two.

Depends on whether you think USB2 is a better choice than the PPC970 or not.

But it's just another chip to check out and see whether or not it's USB capable, or has a plug in USB2 equivalent. ;)

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
<offtopic>
I really do hope Apple goes to USB2, both on the mobos and on the iPod. There is nothing a PC user dreads more than opening his box to put a card in, and most PCs don't have FireWire.

If the iPod had had USB, I would have bought one. But I can't put a card in my office's PC. I'm not allowed to open it.
</offtopic>

The latest Macwhispers post does show confirmation that a 970 is going to be on those new mobos, and they suggest that sufficient stock may be available for a WWDC product lauch. Will Apple exhibit at MWNY at all?

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
Offtopic.
If the iPod had USB2 it would require a seperate port for recharging. USB 2 cannot support the same power distribution as Firewire. This is why you don't see bus powered USB 2 hardrives. So you people who think USB is the end all be all of computer perpherials you need to listen up and relize that the Wintel world is a follower and the Apple is a leader.

x86 is old yes it is faster right now but it is over 20 years old. PPC is alittle over 10 it is just starting to mature. It took more then 10 years for the x86 world to really start ramping up processor speeds. Oh and you can thank apple for USB too. They were the ones who gave it the exposure it deserved. And now look at all the USB things we use today. You can also thank apple for that excellent Windows OS you use. x86 is dying, PPC is rising. I don't get why people don't seem to understand this.

Viva Los 970

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.