Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitfode

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
So I didn't have a problem making all my audiobooks into audiobooks. I even decided to take out some of my spoken word and audible exercise of the shuffle and make them into audiobooks so I only ran into them when I wanted to. So here is the problem. On my ipod, when I go to my audiobooks, they are in alphabetical order and not grouped by book. This, as you can guess, is really frustrating. I have to dig through everything to find the next chapter and if I don't know the name of the next chapter... well then I just have to move on. Anyone know how I can fix this? Get my ipod to group them by audiobook and in order (They all have track orders and everything)? Thanks in advance.

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17)

How exactly did you "make all your audiobooks into audiobooks"?

I assume you mean you have CDs that you imported then did something to get iTunes to put them under "Audiobooks" instead of "Music"?

So now, you probably have all kinds of different "tracks" that make up a single book? Probably one for each CD (or worse, one for every chapter if you didn't import each CD as an single track).

What you want to do is pony up $10 for this app called Audiobook builder. Trust me, it's 100% worth the $10.

Audiobook Builder will sew together all your different tracks into a single, bookmarkable, proper audiobook file with artwork, and metadata embedded. You just have to drag and drop your files and let it go.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/ipod_itunes/audiobookbuilder.html

Black Belt

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
California
I am having the same problem. It is a known feature in iTunes that you can convert "Music" into "Audiobooks" by selecting a few items. The problem is the stupid programming of the menu system doesn't make it a drilldown menu like it does with "Artists" and "Albums".

The Audiobook builder is a nice solution, albeit something that should happen in iTunes already, and, of course, Apple ignores 90% of iPod Users and only makes this available for Mac.

Ambrish

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2007
You can solve this problem by editing the audiobook track info under the sorting tab.

Your iPod, always sorts the tracks with respect to what is stated in the 'Sort Name' - which by default takes up the track's name. You need append this info to the format '<Book Name> - <Chapter #> - <Chapter/Track Name>'

Unfortunately, you'll have to do this manually for all your tracks. Then it will show up fine on your iPod/iPhone.

See attached images - that's how I've sorted all my audio books to show up fine in iTunes as well as my iPod/iPhone.

Cheers
-Ambrish

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 132
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 133

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
only in 8.0 I think you could convert regular tracks to audiobooks. I tried it and it sucked. as you say they way it orders them is bad but I also found my iphone had trouble keeping track of where I left off.
so back to playlists and to set the play count to 0 some books still needs some work to sort them. also be sure to set the tracks to be skipped when shuffled.

Ambrish

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2007
only in 8.0 I think you could convert regular tracks to audiobooks. I tried it and it sucked. as you say they way it orders them is bad but I also found my iphone had trouble keeping track of where I left off.
so back to playlists and to set the play count to 0 some books still needs some work to sort them. also be sure to set the tracks to be skipped when shuffled.

You'd rather use this:
http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=makebookmarkable

Works perfectly.

-A

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
why would you need that just slect all of the tracks and right click (oops no right mouse button on a mac) and choose under options to remember playback position. I did that when I made them audiobooks but the phone would loose track too easily.
even playlists don't always remove them like they should. so it must be a ipod/iphone thing.

Ambrish

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2007
why would you need that just slect all of the tracks and right click (oops no right mouse button on a mac) and choose under options to remember playback position. I did that when I made them audiobooks but the phone would loose track too easily.
even playlists don't always remove them like they should. so it must be a ipod/iphone thing.

I listen to audiobooks very regularly. And have never faced the problem by converting them using doug's script. I never followed iTunes method because... well, I ripped my audiobooks before iTunes 8 was out.

But using doug's script has never caused any playback issue with me on any of my iPods, iPhones or Macs. Hence the recommendation.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I don't have any problems when they are just standard mp3 files. I can have a ton of books on my iphone and unless the tracks go on wrong I don't use playlists for the most part.
but I hate the way audiobooks are sorted on the ipod it really sucks.
I don't want one bit file if you have to reset your device it may loose track of where your at.

Ambrish

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2007
I don't have any problems when they are just standard mp3 files. I can have a ton of books on my iphone and unless the tracks go on wrong I don't use playlists for the most part.
but I hate the way audiobooks are sorted on the ipod it really sucks.
I don't want one bit file if you have to reset your device it may loose track of where your at.

Please refer to my first post in this thread to sort out the way audiobooks are displayed on iPods/iPhones.

-A

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
that would work but if you have 60 gigs of books it gets a little old to make playlists for them all. the only reason really to make them into audiobooks is to change the playback speed. other then that there is no advantage.

CommodityFetish

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Syracuse, NY
works for me, though far from perfect

Thanks for the tips! I used iTunes to convert my tracks to Audiobooks, and things seem workable for me. Individual tracks are in the right order, as listed under their album/chapter. The albums/chapters are alphabetical, and thus are not together and are only in order if their names have already been numbered. This works for me given the number of them that I have right now. But it would get really messy when adding many more items.

Apple really should update this so that it goes Artist > Album > Track. I think that would go a long way. Then you'd at least have them grouped together by artist. You'd still have to change the album/chapter names so they begin with a number. Or maybe there's another way, (some of the options under "Sorting" tab are confusing to me...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.