Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

114402-itunes_devices.jpg

Apple seems to be getting ready to launch their cloud-based digital music "locker" service that has been rumored for many months. But contrary to an earlier Reuters report, All Things D has heard that Apple has already come to terms with two of the four major record labels about the service, and that Apple's Eddy Cue will be in New York tomorrow to try to finalize the remaining deals.

The negotiating of these deals is in contrast to Amazon's music storage service which notably launched last month without any deals in place -- a fact that the record labels were not very happy about. Apple is said to have been "very aggressive and thoughtful about it" and "It feels like they want to go pretty soon", according to an unnamed music executive. All Things D also provides some details about how the service might work from Apple:
The industry executives I've talked to haven't seen Apple’s service themselves, but say they're aware of the broad strokes. The idea is that Apple will let users store songs they’ve purchased from its iTunes store, as well as others songs stored on their hard drives, and listen to them on multiple devices.
All Things D points out that having official licenses can allow Apple to store a single master copy of a song rather than storing individual copies for every user. Amazon's original argument against needing the licenses was that their service was the same as any upload storage service. This meant that users needed to upload copies of their old music to be able to stream them. With the proper deals, Apple could avoid the need to upload individual copies and simply allow users to stream off of the single master copy. This could save on significant upload time for the user and storage requirements for Apple.

Article Link: More Details on Apple's Cloud-based Music Locker

Last edited by a moderator:

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
I really hope this happens but I have a feeling that it will be hobbled in some way. If it runs from an iTunes master copy of songs then it might preclude people uploading music that has been ripped from CDs or bought somewhere else (like Amazon).

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
So Apple's method could be more efficient their side, offering a spotify type model where everyone accesses the same iTunes purchased track (except this time they own it) instead of Amazon's where each indivdual track is stored in their "digital locker"?

A nice bt of foresight by Apple if so.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
How does streaming music to my iPhone help me, when O2 cap my Internet usage, and then charge when you use more.

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
I do want this but, i actually want wireless sync more. And some other things i cant really think of at the moment. Maybe iOS5 :/

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Very grateful that I am grandfathered into ATT's unlimited data plan!

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
…store songs they’ve purchased from its iTunes store, as well as others songs stored on their hard drives, and listen to them on multiple devices

yes! was hoping it would not be only songs purchased from the iTunes Store. will probably be a subscription service with Mobile Me, but if it was only iTunes purchased songs then that would be a deal breaker.

streaming original masters of the song to prevent uploading is very smart, but will probably be only for iTunes purchased songs.

deakinng

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2007
vancouver, canada
i don't understand, is like end up we have to use more data and pay more, and not convenience for iPod touch user who only got wifi, what so good about this?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

AndroidfoLife

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
This seems like apple did a very bad compromise. I am suspecting that apple will not allow other source music. It would be pretty hard to confirm if that is the song to give you access to the song on their online copy. I doubt they will do an unlimited access either.

andys53

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2009
U.K.
How does streaming music to my iPhone help me, when O2 cap my Internet usage, and then charge when you use more.

It won't, but if you have iTunes on a computer at home, it could save you on constantly replacing worn out hard drives before they crash and lose all your library.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
I really hope this happens but I have a feeling that it will be hobbled in some way. If it runs from an iTunes master copy of songs then it might preclude people uploading music that has been ripped from CDs or bought somewhere else (like Amazon).

Actually, Amazon gives you 5 gigs of space on your cloud drive for your own MP3s. When/if you buy songs from them, you get additional space for the songs you've purchased.

rstansby

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
So Apple's method could be more efficient their side, offering a spotify type model where everyone accesses the same iTunes purchased track (except this time they own it) instead of Amazon's where each indivdual track is stored in their "digital locker"?

A nice bt of foresight by Apple if so.

It's not really an original idea. Lala was doing this last year, until Apple bought them and shut them down.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
A local + cloud hybrid system

I believe that Apple will offer a hybrid system:

1) iTunes purchases available from anywhere to any Mac or iOS device without local storage necessary.
  • This would satisfy the labels and studios because it wouldn't allow users to potentially benefit from improving the use of pirated material
  • It would fortify Apple's position in media sales because it would encourage people to buy from iTunes
  • iTunes sales would increase exponentially, justifying offering Me.com for free
  • This system would eliminate the need for Apple's responsibility for upload bandwidth, only streaming downloads from items that are already stored on iTunes servers

2) Other non-iTunes media would still be stored locally on a Mac or PC in iTunes' database but Me.com would facilitate streaming from your iTunes to any other Mac or iOS device.

• I think this system would satisfy most people:
  • You get to have access to all your media -- iTunes and non-iTunes -- on all your devices anywhere you are.
  • iTunes content staying on the server means no need to manage large file libraries (option to download to your HDD if you wish)
  • Free Me.com

The only compromise is that non-iTunes content would mean that you have to have iTunes running at home. I think this is a fair compromise. Maybe you can pay for server space to upload your non-iTunes content but perhaps it's better to just purchase your content on iTunes instead.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I have no idea how this would be useful. Buffer times, connection loss, no WiFi around, these are all problems that will prevent this from working.

What's wrong with storing music on hard drives locally?

rstansby

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Actually, Amazon gives you 5 gigs of space on your cloud drive for your own MP3s. When/if you buy songs from them, you get additional space for the songs you've purchased.

A lot of people have more than 5GB in their music collection, so for these people the Amazon service doesn't work.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005

Just another option. Might not be a solution for you (nor me) but I can see the advantage for some people.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I have no idea how this would be useful. Buffer times, connection loss, no WiFi around, these are all problems that will prevent this from working.

What's wrong with storing music on hard drives locally?

Yeah, my sentiments exactly. This seems pretty useless, at least for me. I can't get too excited about it.

AndroidfoLife

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
A lot of people have more than 5GB in their music collection, so for these people the Amazon service doesn't work.

Purchase an MP3 album from the Amazon MP3 Store by 11:59 PM PST on December 31, 2011.

* If you qualify for this offer and either have not signed up for Amazon Cloud Drive or have the 5GB Amazon Cloud Drive plan, you will be automatically eligible for the 20 GB plan for one year from the date of your MP3 album purchase. Unless you set your account to auto-renew to a paid plan, the 20 GB plan will revert to a free plan one year from the date of your MP3 album purchase.

* If your Amazon Cloud Drive account is already at 20 GB or higher when you qualify for this offer, the offer will be saved to your account as a $20 credit toward any future Amazon Cloud Drive plan fees you may incur at the time your plan renews or at the time you upgrade your plan. If you elect to downgrade your plan to a free plan at the time of renewal, your upgrade offer will be applied towards the 20 GB plan at that time.

MP3 albumes start at just 69 cents

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.