Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bentmywookie

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
Palo Alto
Has Kodawarisan ever been on point regarding rumors? I seriously doubt FW 800 will be on the ipod unless it comes with a free adapter to connect to a FW 400 port at throttled down speeds (is that even possible?)

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Kodawarisan had some reliable hints in its past, though many were hard to translate ;)
but concerning the touchscreen instead of the wheel... that design comes to my mind. Can anybody say "iWalk"? :D:D:D

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by bentmywookie
Has Kodawarisan ever been on point regarding rumors? I seriously doubt FW 800 will be on the ipod unless it comes with a free adapter to connect to a FW 400 port at throttled down speeds (is that even possible?)

they've hit a couple of things... but missed an equal or greater number...

arn

ELYXR

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2002
Seattle
Originally posted by bentmywookie

FW800 is backwards compatible and throwing in the adapter would most likely be a nominal cost consideration. Even though there would be very little point in terms of a speed advantage, upgrading to FW800 would give some legitimacy to the FW800 standard(and the new Powerbooks and Powermacs) if they did upgrade it.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I doubt very much there will be a touch sensative screen. Also, unless there is going to be a feature that requires a colour screen then I doubt we will see that as well. I can however imagine the Firewire 800 with an adapter so that the iPod is futureproof.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
futureproof?

i would love for Apple to fix the battery problem i keep hearing, first.

then futureproof it with fw800. :)

i would like to have the possibility to replace the batteries myself.

i_am_a_cow

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2001
fw800???

why does everyone want fw800 NOW. nobody has anything to use it with. you have to think about the people "stuck" with the g4 450s. OK?

;) but it would be great if they sold fw800 ipods with the adapter. maybe it would be an internal adapter . . .

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
is it just me, or do the 5 gigabyte iPods say nothing next to them anymore about "increased holiday demand"?

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
it's just you. it still says high holiday demand...

have you been drinking?

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
No :)

Actually, I am on my friend's pee cee so I can use his DSL. I have DSL at home, but that would defeat the purpose, as I am hanging out with him. And after all, he has a Athlon 250 Mhz in his machine........

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
zap123, that is my definition of pain. i feel for you. i really do.

i advise mass, intravenous alcohol consuption. STAT

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
luckily, i have my iPod and ibook with me, so i can retreat from the world of pcs for a little while....

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The lack of FW800 on Intrepid-based machines (iMac, PowerBook 12) is strange ...

Even if the new low power FW800 ATA bridge does show up soon, it may still have a FW400 connector until FW800 is added to the Intrepid-based machines.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I don't think we will see a FW800 iPod untill FW800 is in the iMac's,iBook's,and eMac's and the 12"PB. And a touchscreen?? that would make the iPod thicker would it not?

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Babel Fish translation

The Apple seems that this week plans the announcement of the new iPod. According to information, there is a color liquid crystal on-board model which corresponds to also FireWire 800 in the new iPod, by the fact that from the former touch sensor type scroll wheel it is modified to liquid crystal touch sensor system, design leaves it became simpler. Furthermore, we refrain also the announcement of the new iBook, it seems that everyone week continues still pleasantly

http://world.altavista.com/

ELYXR

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2002
Seattle
Re: DOA

Originally posted by trebblekicked
this rumor is contradicted by another thread here that states 10, 20 , 40 GB ipods are already manufactured., and the scroll wheel is an intuitive and beautiful piece of work. why go away from that, in favor of something that would do nothing but drive up the price?

Judging by Apple's discounting of the LCD monitors last week... LCD film prices have dropped significantly. Also PDA manufacturers have been making small LCD's in large enough quantities and shipping in volume to corroborate this, at least in my thinking. I'm still not convinced that this rumor is true... but I think it's a cool idea. People's biggest compaint about the current touch sensor scroll wheel over the analog one that it replaced is that it doesn't give you enough feedback. I'd like to see a solid-state scroll wheel that does just that. :)

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
iPod disks are quite slow, 1394b not needed

The disks used in the iPods are quite slow (about 150Mbps peak for the 20GB).

A faster wire wouldn't improve its speed, and would just cause compatibility problems (due to the cable and connector differences).

occam

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2003
video iPod or... iBox?

Perhaps the new touch screen video parts are for a set top box? An iPod contraption is limited in disk size (harsh for video) and power consumption (again harsh for video). However, a compact set top box could be a showstopper with Ive at the design helm.

A set top box does not care about power (it's plugged in) and can have a larger form factor (for those larger, full speed video hard drives). A set top box could use OS X native to do all sorts of wonderful things using Aqua on the set top box.

Hmm, I wonder if it would play games as well, a la MS Xbox? This would be a PVR approach to the LR instead of gaming, though with gaming (Java?) capabilities. Nice.

Also, this box could be relatively cheap (a la Xbox) and provide a trojan horse platform for OS X (or at least OS X based technologies). That would be a sweet success story for Apple. Provide some wireless connectivity via Airport [Extreme], and you have a plug-and-play Set Top Box which is easily updatable (look ma, no phone line!) via Airport in Apple homes. For non-Apple homes, I guess you're back to the [ugly] phone line situation.

In sum, perhaps we should be looking for an Apple iBox (a la set top box) which has a deluxe video touch screen for control, FW800 for high-speed xfer, airport for high-speed PVR guide updating, OS X internals for Aqua X video and upgradability, Java for (safe) user extensibility (a la Java's original roots!) and downloads, and is relatively cheap ($500?) for a trojan horse push into the living room (more effective than a cheap iMac).

Yummy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.